10:27, Tue 30 Apr
Legal_Bluenose
They promised us a battle better than Helms Deep. It wasn't. The Dothraki weren't seen. Nice idea but they're feared warriors. To finish them off like that was pretty cheap.

The Unsullied didn't do too much, just held the line.

that was there role, sadly

Considering how many made it back through the gate, why were there so few on the walls?

remember the walls go all around winterfell so they had to be spread out

This is game of thrones, people die. After last week's farewell scene I was expecting a few more to go. You had a lot of main characters in very dire situations yet they all walked away. Jorah and Theon died good deaths.

yeah it was a bit of a cop out with this but a few more characters might be dead, not too sure whos dead

I do hope that they've not killed the Red Witch story as she's the one who knows the truth about Pendry.

brann will

Arya kept switching between lethal killer to someone who couldn't even play hide and seek.

tbf shes an 18 year old girl fighting a large amount of zombies, I think she also took a nasty hit to the head

The Night King's dragon could destroy the wall yet he left it out of the fight until the undead had breached the defences.

the night king could have just told the dragon to destroy the castle, but that wouldnt have been much fun.

Daenerys seemed to totally forget about Jon's revelation last week.

i think it was more because this was more important

Using the snow storm to hide the battle was crap and it was far too dark IMO.

this is the problem with trying to make it *realistic* in a real life battle at night thats what it would look like

In all fairness it had a few flaws and plot holes, but the tv series always has. The books are a bit more detailed.
10:29, Tue 30 Apr
Bran made himself bait. Drew the night king to him when he shifted into the crows. That was the whole plan decided in previous episode.
10:34, Tue 30 Apr
tbf shes an 18 year old girl fighting a large amount of zombies, I think she also took a nasty hit to the head 

She's a woman now.
Revere me.
10:46, Tue 30 Apr
The Unsullied job was to hold the line, Grey Worm screamed to 'protect the retreat' in the episode.
10:50, Tue 30 Apr
Denaerys has some explaining to do to those on the other side of the Narrow Sea. Put all their men to the slaughter in a war that hardly affects them.
Revere me.
JCL
10:55, Tue 30 Apr
Another breakdown, this time the official HBO one.

[www.youtube.com]">
It's always easier to believe something than understand it.
11:03, Tue 30 Apr
I know that Grey Worm told them to hold the line, I got that bit. But we didn't see them do much beyond that.

I also get the point about the defensive walls, but there were already defenders inside Winterfell. So with the defenders plus those who made it back inside the walls there should have been more defenders. You can see how many bodies there are when the Night King brings them back to life. Plus from the overhead shots it didn't look like the undead attacked all the way around the perimeter of Winterfell.

She did take a blow to the head, that's where the dripping blood came from, but that's not the reason for her changes in performance as she managed to get about well enough before and after the library scene. IMO they tried to get some suspense going but failed.

It all felt a bit rushed. The Night King could have started to use his dragon against the defences only to be met by the other two dragons, we had a dragon fight scene anyway and that way we could understand why Jon and Daeny didn't use their dragons more than they did.

We've waited a very long time for this and it's coming across as being a cop out.
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
11:08, Tue 30 Apr
The darkness thing is interesting from a technical standpoint - Slate wrote this about it

[slate.com]
11:22, Tue 30 Apr
The Reverend
Denaerys has some explaining to do to those on the other side of the Narrow Sea. Put all their men to the slaughter in a war that hardly affects them.

It was the GoT equivalent of Operation "Get Behind the Darkies" from the South Park film but slightly more subtle.

Basically, the plan was to send the Dothraki (dusky) off first - but not before lifting their spirits with some flaming swords - and then have the unsullied (also dusky) next in line to die so that all the whities could get into the castle.

That said, I enjoyed it on the whole. I'm used to the plot holes after the last series which annoyed me but has perhaps adjusted my expectations down from series' 1 to 6. My plan is to go back and start from the beginning once this series is over and I expect it'll be a stark (pun intended) reminder of the difference in quality from 1 to 6 as compared to 7 and 8.

Speaking of plot holes, I wouldn't be surprised if next week's episode annoys people more. I reckon we'll be expected to believe that a significant number of people survived, leaving enough to go south and take Kings Landing.

Although did anyone spot any knights of the vale last night? Maybe they were held back to ensure that Dany has enough men to deal with Cersei.

I was expecting more main characters to die other than just Jorah and Theon. No way Sam would've survived if that was series 6 or earlier.
11:23, Tue 30 Apr
The darkness thing is interesting from a technical standpoint - Slate wrote this about it

[slate.com]

Cheers for the link

I also heard that having shows in near darkness makes it harder for them to be copied and uploaded for streaming and d/l sites
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
11:24, Tue 30 Apr
I have mixed views about it. I loved the episode, enjoyed the battle (despite the obvious lack of tactical nous from John and the others) and enjoyed Theon's redemption.

I do, however, feel it was abit of a copout with how the NK was built up to be a main protagonist and then, to paraphrase somebody from Twitter, the greatest threat to mankind didn't get further than the Scotland of Westeros. But I suppose with it being the 'Game of Thrones' the final fight was always going to tie back to the meaning of the programme. But they spent so long hinting that the spirals and signage might have a purpose, but very little is known about the ins and outs of the Walkers and the Children of the Forest.

I think it will end how it began now. Lannister forces and Golden company will either switch sides or be crushed and it will mirror Robert's rebellion. Cersei cornered and attempt to destroy KL with the final caches of Wildfire like the mad king, "kill them all" etc, to be stopped by Jaime.. Arise "Kingslayer".
11:27, Tue 30 Apr
They are from the Scotland of Westeros aren't they? The Wall is Hadrian's Wall.

They got beat in Barnsley.
Revere me.
11:27, Tue 30 Apr
Isn't Lord Royce in the trailer for Ep4?

I thought Brienne was fighting with the Knights of the Vale?
11:33, Tue 30 Apr
I'm not going to be overly critical. Where are you going to find a more entertaining 80 minutes of TV?
11:37, Tue 30 Apr
BluSabre
I'm not going to be overly critical. Where are you going to find a more entertaining 80 minutes of TV?

You are obviously too young to remember Dr Quinn: Medicine Woman.
Revere me.