09:05, Wed 15 May
Derby County escaped sanction under the EFL Profit and Sustainability Rules by selling their stadium to another company owned by their owner Mel Morris. The sale and subsequent long term lease back ensured that the Rams made a profit last season and did not fall foul of the rules in the same way Blu

[almajir.net]
09:09, Wed 15 May
Selling the ground would be reactionary and short sighted.

Like you say Mayor, it's a one off payment and then the club is in the hands of an entity who may at some point walk away or fall out of favour with the club, what happens then?
09:10, Wed 15 May
I'm not for selling the ground really - However, with the way the rules are at the moment, and if a number of other clubs are going to do the same I can totally see why the board would be looking at this avenue to keep the club competitive.
09:17, Wed 15 May
It is the shittest idea of all time.

I'd rather get relegated than sell the ground, and that's even if our owners basically sell it to themselves.
09:23, Wed 15 May
I wonder how many saying no here are also supporters of the German ownership system?
@Bluewurst1875
09:24, Wed 15 May
Do you get a free Bratwurst?
09:43, Wed 15 May
I'm not. I think the German ownership system for clubs is flawed.
Jim
09:43, Wed 15 May
I acknowledge that selling the ground is a one-off unrepeateable 'solution', but we are in a difficult position with regard to P&S rules, and unless some drastic action is taken (ie 'new' money found from somewhere to wipe out the catastrophic debt caused by previous extravagances) we're going to be permanently trying, almost certainly unsuccessfully, to climb the greasy financial pole.

If it was decided that selling the ground was the only way to wipe out the debts and give us a fresh start, I'd like to see a clause in the deal that attaches the ground to the Club itself, so that, if the Club were to be sold, the ground would have to be included as part of the deal.

If anyone's got any better ideas, we know how welcoming our 'owners' are to suggestions coming from supporters, so let's be hearing what people have got to say!
09:46, Wed 15 May
Jim
Jim
I acknowledge that selling the ground is a one-off unrepeateable 'solution', but we are in a difficult position with regard to P&S rules, and unless some drastic action is taken (ie 'new' money found from somewhere to wipe out the catastrophic debt caused by previous extravagances) we're going to be permanently trying, almost certainly unsuccessfully, to climb the greasy financial pole.

If it was decided that selling the ground was the only way to wipe out the debts and give us a fresh start, I'd like to see a clause in the deal that attaches the ground to the Club itself, so that, if the Club were to be sold, the ground would have to be included as part of the deal.

If anyone's got any better ideas, we know how welcoming our 'owners' are to suggestions coming from supporters, so let's be hearing what people have got to say!

So here's the thing.

I don't think promotion makes things any better either. In the 2017/18 season, the top six clubs accounted for 89% of profit made in the Premier League. I don't think the PL is the land of milk and honey any more for clubs outside the top six.
09:54, Wed 15 May
e17blue
Selling the ground would be reactionary and short sighted.

Like you say Mayor, it's a one off payment and then the club is in the hands of an entity who may at some point walk away or fall out of favour with the club, what happens then?

Very much agree with this!
JCL
10:09, Wed 15 May
El Mayor
So here's the thing.

I don't think promotion makes things any better either. In the 2017/18 season, the top six clubs accounted for 89% of profit made in the Premier League. I don't think the PL is the land of milk and honey any more for clubs outside the top six.

Maybe it is if you don’t go and spunk £100 million in the first season on players to try and compete. The stat on Brighton having a net spend more than Liverpool over the last 3 years shows, to me anyway, that these clubs outside of the big six, and especially the newly promoted ones, all chuck loadsamoney to try and stay up.

Problem being once you have started spending that, ad set a new wage structure, you really have no choice but to keep spending that, as such the gains of the phat stacks they do get just go in the players pockets.

Seems the way to do it, as has been mentioned on here before, is to go up, spend as little as possible on new players, have sensible wages and contracts, and accept you will probably go down. You would hopefully then have some cash in the bank, players that wont then expect to just feck off to other prem clubs, 3 years of parachute payments and the chance to properly build for the future.

That would need some very understanding owners, and fans, to accept the likely thumping you will get in a number of matches, and a likely very lowly point score.
It's always easier to believe something than understand it.
10:14, Wed 15 May
Why the huge difference between the book value and market value?

Derby and Blues both have similar-ish sized grounds, so I'd imagine their book value wasnt that different from ours.

Unless I'm missing something, which is probably the case
10:18, Wed 15 May
Dave1991
Why the huge difference between the book value and market value?

Derby and Blues both have similar-ish sized grounds, so I'd imagine their book value wasnt that different from ours.

Unless I'm missing something, which is probably the case

I don't know, I'm not an accountant. Derby made a profit of about £40mil on their ground as I understand it.
10:19, Wed 15 May
We have taken the hit for breaking the rules, for the previous misdemeanors without it really impacting on us, what's gone has gone.

Selling the ground to unknown owners would be a total disaster!

I would be more in favour of slowly turning our finances round by somehow off loading some of the crap we have and better management going forward.
DG
10:23, Wed 15 May
Cost less Depreciation = Net Book Value.

Proceeds from Sale less NBV = Profit on Disposal.