20:51, Wed 15 May
We should try the mad Argentina rules

“promotion and Relegation

Much like most countries that play semester-type tournaments, Argentina has implemented averages of the last four seasons to determine which four teams will be relegated. Here is the formula: Points won divided by matches played equals average.

These four teams would be replaced by the champion of the Nacional B (second division) and the winner of a single-elimination tournament between teams placed in second to ninth place in the table. With this type of promotion, the next tournament will have 26 teams.

So a team could be involved in a relegation and a league title race in one season
21:44, Wed 15 May
Tonight again proves, they're great. Leave them alone. We all know the rules
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
22:06, Wed 15 May
Tonight again proves, they're great. Leave them alone. We all know the rules

Spot on, the sooner were involved again the better.
DES
22:27, Wed 15 May
Pigeon
5th v 6th (5th at home), winner plays 4th (4th at home), winner plays 3rd at Wembley.

Makes it fairer, no?
No, not at all. Leave well alone!
It’s great! Especially when villa lose at Wembley
Kro
23:45, Wed 15 May
Frank
I think you're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

The play offs are brilliant imo.

This
06:31, Thu 16 May
The final should be the most obvious financial cheats (ignored by the EFL) versus the team that comes up with the most inventive accountancy scam....
22:43, Fri 17 May
I am a big fan of playoff structure as is but also see some weight in the argument about a team in 3rd being miles ahead of a team in 6th and essentially only benefitting by having a home leg.

Living in Belgium I like a system they use for figuring out European places which I believe could be used for Promotion.

still have 4 teams but play each other home and away in round robin format.

Your starting points position is your final tally divided by 2.

You round down I believe

would be

Top team at end of round robin is promoted.

Get some great games that all mean something!!!
mad
23:02, Fri 17 May
How about having 4th bottom of the Prem in the play offs too like they used to in the late 1980's?

Then do what they've kinda done in Non league and have a 6 team play off

3rd and 4th byes to the semi finals

5th vs 6th
7th vs 17th (Prem) played as one off ties

3rd v winner of 7th/17th Prem
4th v winner of 5th/6th played over two legs
23:07, Fri 17 May
mad
And if the Prem team wins them 3 teams go down and only 2 go up. If a Championship wins them 3 go up and 4 go down. Brilliant.
How about leave them as they are. There's nothing wrong with them.
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
23:15, Fri 17 May
In Italy, if the teams are level after extra time in the second leg, the one higher in the league goes through. That would be a better way to settle than penalties although it changes the nature of each game.
mad
11:26, Sat 18 May
Think the whole structure of league pyramid might alter at some stage. There was talk of 4 divisions of 20 teams below the Premier League a couple of years ago to eliminate most of the midweek clutter of matches where attendances are lower and many ex-pat season ticket holders don't attend.

If this were to happen I think they might introduce an 8 team play off system much like they have in the NBA/NHL to determine 2 promotion and 2 relegation places from each division. No need for aggregate scores each tie a best of three format. Top 8 and bottom 8 all involved in some form of play offs leaving just 4 boring teams per season in the middle of the division twiddling their thumbs in May. Broadcasters can pitch it as Mad May's Madness.
DES
14:17, Sat 18 May
Spike
Get rid of them completely and have 3 promoted as of right over a 46 game season.

Radical suggestion I know...
Spike what a truly shit idea! Play offs have been best innovation in football in my lifetime!
That would have meant wolves going up in 2002,and us not having a look in?
Quite mental idea!
Kro