15:54, Wed 15 May
Why should you get a chance to stay up if you've been shit? You're just giving prem teams a better chance of staying up.

The play offs ain't broke and don't need fixing.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
16:18, Wed 15 May
I don't care. I was just filling in some time at work 😁
17:03, Wed 15 May
I can see where you and Spike are both coming from on this.

It was created for commercial reasons and they are not going to abandon it. It can also be exciting and nowadays there is probably more glory in promotion via the Championship play-offs than automatic promotion with the way it is hyped.

That said it seems harsh that over a 46-game season a team clearly in 3rd like Leeds (and 7-9 points to the good over those in 5th and 6th) should have to play 3 more games for the right to go up - especially with the money that is at stake.

If it was to be simplified I would just take it down to one game at Wembley between 3rd and 4th place (maybe with some form of handicapping system).
17:05, Wed 15 May
notts_blue
Top 2 promoted, 3rd place plays 17th in the prem in a one-off play off.
so 4 teams might go down from the Prem and only 3 go up? Or 3 go down, only 2 go up.
Hiya Shaun Harvey 😆😆
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
17:31, Wed 15 May
The play offs were and are a great idea, whether it was for commercial reasons or not.

We would probably have been out the top flight for 34 years now without them.
Revere me.
17:40, Wed 15 May
Spike
Get rid of them completely and have 3 promoted as of right over a 46 game season.

Radical suggestion I know...

Let's just apply it retrospectively for this season then go back to the play offs next season. I know it would suit me.
18:45, Wed 15 May
4th at home against 5th TWICE as a two leg tie with total home advantage.

Same for 3rd against 6th.

So if you're the 5th or 6th team and you make a mess of the 1st leg then you still get another leg just don't expect it to be at home.

Winners play the final at Wembley.

The winner of that final plays against a random team drawn from a hat that of teams that finished in the bottom half but above relegation.

That becomes the true final and the winner goes to the premier league even if they finished 16th
PJ1
19:35, Wed 15 May
Wouldn't want to see the play-offs go but rather see some advantage to the team in third.

Sixth play Fifth then the winner plays Fourth then that winner plays Third at Wembley to go up.
"Too many protest singers, not enough protest songs"
19:37, Wed 15 May
Frank

The play offs are brilliant imo.

I will let you know about that at around 17.55 on Monday May 27th ( barring extra time ) .
Jim
20:20, Wed 15 May
Isn't that what they do in the Conference?

No. I looked into this because of Moors involvement and the prospect of a trip to Wembley.

In the National League, 1st goes up to League 2 automatically.

Play-offs involve teams finishing 2nd - 7th, and are played over one match, with the higher placed team always getting home advantage (except the Final at Wembley)

Teams finishing 2nd and 3rd each get a bye to the Play Off semi-final, with home advantage.

In a preliminary round, 3rd plays 7th and 4th plays 5th, with the higher seeded team at home. Winners of those prelim matches play away to 2nd / 3rd teams for the places in the Wembley Final.
20:25, Wed 15 May
PJ1
I've advocated precisely this idea myself in the past. The only counter argument that was presented then was that the team finishing 3rd would have over three weeks without a competitive game and might therefore enter the final lacking the match sharpness of their opponents.
notts_blue

they used to have that in late 80s when play offs first came in. i recall charlton v leeds at stans
20:42, Wed 15 May
Even more radical.

Ten up, ten down.

Relegation not a disaster as you’d have a great chance of coming back, quick movement through the leagues, larger number of clubs getting tv money from the PL.
20:46, Wed 15 May
I've advocated precisely this idea myself in the past. The only counter argument that was presented then was that the team finishing 3rd would have over three weeks without a competitive game and might therefore enter the final lacking the match sharpness of their opponents.

Still reckon every team would take that over say 5th place though surely?
notts_blue

they used to have that in late 80s when play offs first came in. i recall charlton v leeds at stans

Problem with that is that far less teams have anything to play for (i.e. playoffs) in say the last 3rd of the season, making it largely meaningless.