09:19, Thu 16 May
Is it a complete necessity?

Camp wasn't as awful as we were led to believe and I dont think stockdale between the sticks would have made too much difference.

There are some decent keepers about, the likes of westwood and Bentley et al.

Wonder what will occur, we could even go foreign.
Beware! I bear more grudges than lonely high court judges
09:22, Thu 16 May
Yes, huge necessity. Camp seems a nice guy and he has a cult status we can all laugh at, but he's the worst keeper we have had since Gosney. An absolute liability, I'm afraid.
09:23, Thu 16 May
weve always been blessed with ace keepers haven't we, Hart, Foster, Bennett, Vaesen to name a few
09:28, Thu 16 May
weve always been blessed with ace keepers haven't we, Hart, Foster, Bennett, Vaesen to name a few

This. We’ve been spoilt in the last 15 years or so with the quality of our goalkeepers.

Camp is a normal keeper but the fact that he isn’t Joe Hart (at his peak) or Ben Foster makes him look comparatively worse than he actually is. The amount of clean sheets Camp achieved this season is prof that he is in fact good enough.
09:29, Thu 16 May
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
Yes, huge necessity. Camp seems a nice guy and he has a cult status we can all laugh at, but he's the worst keeper we have had since Gosney. An absolute liability, I'm afraid.

Worst since Colin Doyle maybe. And we've had Bart Griemink since Gosney too. I really don't get this constant reference to Gosney every time this topic comes up. Yes he was in goal for the Swindon 4-6 game but he wasn't responsible for our capitulation that day. In fact I can only really recall one goal at home to Cambridge (scored by Steve Claridge) that he was at fault for.
09:55, Thu 16 May
he was adequate more than anything would love to see a decent keeper between the sticks next season
09:57, Thu 16 May
Yes, I’ll defend Camp as he’s nowhere near as bad as people make out but it’s definitely a position we need to strengthen.

Not as badly as we need some quality centre mids though.
09:59, Thu 16 May
If we have any hopes of going up then yes, it is absolutely a neccessity. It'd be the first signing I'd make this summer.
@LeMod1875
10:03, Thu 16 May
Le Mod
If we have any hopes of going up then yes, it is absolutely a neccessity. It'd be the first signing I'd make this summer.

Agreed, hearing noises that Monk agrees too.
10:08, Thu 16 May

This. We’ve been spoilt in the last 15 years or so with the quality of our goalkeepers.

Camp is a normal keeper but the fact that he isn’t Joe Hart (at his peak) or Ben Foster makes him look comparatively worse than he actually is. The amount of clean sheets Camp achieved this season is prof that he is in fact good enough.

It's because short of a wonderstrike or unstoppable one on one, we've not really had much to worry about with keepers. Most the keepers we've had comfortably make the saves they're supposed to and then some....

The problem with Camp is, all of a suddent, those routine saves aren't so routine anymore and we all get very nervous when someone takes a shot or whips a corner in.
That's what worries me. I mean, when's the last time someone scored off a corner kick at St Ans ?
Despite keeping a greater amount of clean sheets than Stockdale in the season prior and having an higher save%
10:15, Thu 16 May
Watching Johnstone in goal for the Baggies, he was stopping fierce shots hit straight at him, and pushing them away to safety. He seemed to have much stronger wrists than Camp, and it made quite a difference.

But as was said at the start of the thread, Camp seemed to improve throughout the season and was not as bad as was first feared.
10:17, Thu 16 May
We need a keeper even if it's just to provide proper competition for Camp.

We've got one proper keeper and he's in his mid 30s and very average.

If Camp gets sent off we've got a DVB kid in goal.
We deserve our club back

H-Bomb

"Oh Nikola Zigic"
10:18, Thu 16 May
Sid James
Is it a complete necessity?

Yes. Next thread.
10:25, Thu 16 May
Watching Johnstone in goal for the Baggies, he was stopping fierce shots hit straight at him, and pushing them away to safety. He seemed to have much stronger wrists than Camp, and it made quite a difference.

But as was said at the start of the thread, Camp seemed to improve throughout the season and was not as bad as was first feared.

I like him, done okay, some good saves and some bad gaffs - comical at times and makes me nervous.

Do I want him for another campaign in the championship? As backup, any day, as number one. No Sorry.