21:45, Wed 12 Jun
I am of a scientific bent but not an empiricist.
11:55, Thu 13 Jun
My last post doesn't really explain anything. Sorry about that Tilton.

I think the whole thread centred around the idea that evidence was key to deciding what was true.

I'm sure you were surprised that me (a materialist) didn't wholly go along with this.

What on earth is empiricism? Let me have a go at explaining what I think it means.

If I asked the question, do you need money to buy a car, and then I said don't give me the answer now but go out and observe the world, collect information then come back and collate your data and take into consideration what your senses have told you and then give me your answer. It would be unequivocal. Yes you do need money to buy a car. They would be right according to the content of their data. It would be an empirical truth.

But there are other ideas about how an economy could work-there are all sorts of alternative theories that won't show up in the data or be obvious to our senses.

So what am I saying.

It is not enough to go with the content of the evidence, you also need to look at the form of it.

Okay that's it for today's lesson.
13:43, Thu 13 Jun
You don't need money to buy a car. I could walk into a dealership, fill some forms in and drive out in a car.
13:47, Thu 13 Jun
Science doesn't deal in such questions anyway.

If you ask a scientist 'is there life on other planets' she might design an experiment to prove that there is indeed life on other planets, but she can't give you an answer.

Other scientists would then repeat her experiment, until someone designs an experiment to disprove her theory or her experiment, then the question is asked again.

An object perceived to be at rest (an apple on a table) is in fact hurtling through three dimensional space at thousands of miles per second. Your senses don't tell you this, because you are hurtling through three dimensional space at thousands of miles per second as well.

Whats this got to do with UFO's?
14:19, Thu 13 Jun
It's not specifically about UFOs. It's about evidence and how we should treat this evidence.

"An object perceived to be at rest (an apple on a table) is in fact hurtling through three dimensional space at thousands of miles per second. Your senses don't tell you this, because you are hurtling through three dimensional space at thousands of miles per second as well".

This is a good example of what I mean. Copernicus and Galileo were ridiculed in their time because their ideas were just theoretical. The Apple isn't moving because all the experiments we do on it point to this conclusion. All I'm saying is evidence can be part of a whole chain of circumstances that may lead you to the wrong conclusion.

It doesn't solve the problem of what to believe.

And you do need money to buy a car.
14:39, Thu 13 Jun
I want to think about anything other than Blues at the moment.
15:38, Thu 13 Jun
montypenguin
What's the speed of the RAF drones?

They also fly in a fairly linear direction. They can circle, but cannot do the turns at the speeds depicted in this video

Just what was the speed they were going?
This bit down here is hardly worth reading.
JCL
15:47, Thu 13 Jun
When talk turns to UFO’s I’m always drawn to the B-2 Stealth bomber, and the Blackbird.

Both aircraft so far ahead of their time anyone who saw them flying, including pilots, other military etc, would not have thought them possible.

Do people really think the technologies we have available in the open market are anywhere close to what the military (US at least) are fecking about with.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think there are alien flying ships knocking about, the distances are just so very, fecking vast. Inter dimensions though, that’s a different kettle of fish.
It's always easier to believe something than understand it.
13:43, Fri 14 Jun
JCL
"Why don't the aliens just land in full view and make themselves known?"

"Because they're just observing and collecting data. They want to remain as hidden as possible"

"Oh. So why don't they turn the effing lights off on their spaceships then?"

"....."