15:10, Tue 13 Aug
Yes, but people quoting X,Y and Z doing it, doesn't really prove anything, as we have different players and a different manager, who might not be able to make it work as well.
15:28, Tue 13 Aug
As Mod said above, it's about getting people into scoring positions.

Villalba for example had what, 2 days with the team before Sat? Another week training on the system we want to play will hopefully yield a more potent attacking performance this weekend, expect to see Crowley, Villalba, even Digga getting beyond Juke when we're passing in those triangles infront of Forest on Sat.
16:22, Tue 13 Aug
As I said let's see how many goals Juke has got after 46 games. Not after 2. The point you are missing is that he scored 14 last season in a team that didn't give him a lot of service. With the quality of the midfield we've now got and also Montero will play some games to provide some crosses, it shouldn't be too difficult to score more than last season. Theres 6 games in August, if he's on 2 or 3 by the end of this month it will be a decent start towards 20. 46 games is a long season.
16:38, Tue 13 Aug
he said playing one up top halves your chance of scoring goals

he didn't say it halves Blues' chance of scoring goals
19:12, Tue 13 Aug
I'm not missing any point, I didn't mention Juke or how many chances he had last season. I was answering the poster who reckons because teams full of world class internationals can make one up front work, we can too. It might work for us, it might not, far too early to tell, but just because Man City can do it, doesn't automatically follow that we can too.
09:30, Mon 19 Aug
Agreed.

Poor isolated Juke.
Footballing suicide by Zola Pep.
DES
09:34, Mon 19 Aug
lucky
He had 14 last season with very little service. If he keeps fit and plays regularly I think he could get 20 this season with much better service. It's a long season and he's off the mark already. Let's see.

He had 14 last year with VERY GOOD service Maghoma Che & Jota all played him in, but playing on his own up top (currently without wingers) I think double figures would be tops for him.

KRO
09:42, Mon 19 Aug
DES
The best predictor of the future is the past. Juke may get 15 goals this season at a push. Other than Juke none of the rest of the XI on Saturday have scored more than 7 goals in a season. That leaves us way short on goals required to even keep us up.
09:48, Mon 19 Aug
DES
DES
lucky
He had 14 last season with very little service. If he keeps fit and plays regularly I think he could get 20 this season with much better service. It's a long season and he's off the mark already. Let's see.

He had 14 last year with VERY GOOD service Maghoma Che & Jota all played him in, but playing on his own up top (currently without wingers) I think double figures would be tops for him.

KRO

But you can’t use that to support your claims about what might happen this season. Last season, Juke played in more of a supporting striker role, as Che was the main man. Similar to Heskey when playing alongside Owen and Heskey at Leicester; formerly, he scored fewer goals (I would have thought).
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
09:49, Mon 19 Aug
Absolutely this.

Midfielders do not suddenly find the ability start bagging 10+ goals a season.

McLeish playing Jerome with a bucket load of midfielders way behind him meant we struggled to score goals.

Bruce & Heskey.

Pep & Juke.
09:57, Mon 19 Aug
People expecting Juke to get to 20 are deluding themselves. He got 14 last season when we played to his strengths and he also had one of the league's best next to him to take pressure off.

Now we're playing a brand of football which while he won't struggle, it doesn't play to his strengths. He's also on his own occupying both central defenders.
12:52, Mon 19 Aug
Shaun of Brum (in London)
lucky
I appreciate what you are saying and with the attacking players playing behind Juke, Juke should probably score 20 this season. Also the attacking midfield players should chip in with 6

Juke should probably score 20 this season?!!
Apart from he has never scored 20 in a season in his whole career (as excellent as he is).
Also Blues haven't had a 20 a year goal scorer before Adams in the top two divisions since Francis in '71-72.

If a midfielder chips in with a goal or two it is simply a bonus.
Goal scoring is a strikers job. It is what they are trained to do.
If you play 1 rather than 2 you are pretty much cutting your chances of scoring in half.

Thought Frank Worthington scored 20 79/80 season
12:54, Mon 19 Aug
Blues players who have scored 20 or more league goals since the Second World War.
1952-53, Division 2, Peter Murphy, 20
1954-55, Division 2, Peter Murphy, 20
1955-56, Division 1, Eddy Brown, 21
1956-57, Division 1, Alex Govan, 24
1957-58, Division 1, Peter Murphy, 20
1962-63, Division 1, Ken Leek, 20
1965-66, Division 2, Geoff Vowden, 21
1967-68, Division 2, Barry Bridges, 23
1971-72, Division 2, Bob Latchford 23
1976-77, Division 1, Trevor Francis, 21
1977-78, Division 1, Trevor Francis, 25
1994-95, Division 2, Steve Claridge, 20
2018-19, Sky Bet Championship, Che Adams.

*Claridge 3rd tier
14:18, Mon 19 Aug
Sudden change to league goals☺
Can't check but there must have been some cup goals as well, or there again, I may be talking out of my ar*e, it has been known
14:35, Mon 19 Aug
DES
DES
lucky

KRO

Is this a Jota compliment from Des ? 😁