14:47, Mon 9 Sep
Overton isn’t a test bowler. Good county player.
14:51, Mon 9 Sep
Dont see where I said he is in cause hes roots mate?

Hes had a shocker of a year (test cricket wise) therefore no harm in dropping him in a dead rubber to see if anyone knocking on the door can play at test match level.
The intellectual saviour of the masses.
14:54, Mon 9 Sep
I said it.

Bairstow comes across as arrogant imo. Won't give up the gloves, doesn't have the balls to bat in the top 5 and isn't even in any real form where should be dictating to the ECB and Root where he should be playing. Feck him off.
Dong Ren Out.
15:16, Mon 9 Sep
🙄
15:23, Mon 9 Sep
newblue
Keeping Denly but dropping Bairstow and Roy? Very forward looking.

If there's a younger player in county who could do a job opening then sure drop Denly. To my knowledge there isn't.

Dropping Bairstow and Roy is because one is horribly out of form (and has been for a while) and the other isn't a test cricketer.
18:32, Mon 9 Sep
I thought Roy batted well that second innings. I think he’s got a lot of talent and is worth persevering with - down the order. Overall, our batsmen have been exposed by a very good attack and totally inappropriate preparation.

Anyway, whatever happens let’s hope we do the Aussies in the final test. If it’s a standard Oval wicket not sure how we solve the Smith problem though.
18:46, Mon 9 Sep
newblue
I thought Roy batted well that second innings. I think he’s got a lot of talent and is worth persevering with - down the order. Overall, our batsmen have been exposed by a very good attack and totally inappropriate preparation.

Anyway, whatever happens let’s hope we do the Aussies in the final test. If it’s a standard Oval wicket not sure how we solve the Smith problem though.

with the smith conundrum. we've tried everything else. how about drying his runs up. attack the lesser batsman at the other end.

i'd bowl wide of off stump to him to a 9/2 field and say right then if you want runs you will have to go and chase the ball.

i remember the king of spain bowling a load of tripe outside leg stump to tendulkar some years ago.

i might be wrong but i think he ended up getting tendulakr out??
"supporters should be patient a little while longer - sunshine days are just around the corner."
Ken Wheldon - March 18th 1988
18:47, Mon 9 Sep
i might be wrong but i think he ended up getting tendulakr out??

Yes, four months later 😛
DES
07:55, Tue 10 Sep
Ferret, I agree let’s have a proper plan for smith, if he had got a mere one hundred @ O.T. We would have drawn the game easily!
The answer as always these days in in analysing his record against various types of bowling and setting appropriate fields for him ( yes I know I sound like captain Obvious) but whatever we are doing at the moment isn’t working that’s for sure.
I’m pleased we have stuck with same players, they must be hurting like mad at the moment.
C’mon England!
08:48, Tue 10 Sep
DES
There is no field for Smith in the form he's in DES. He's got an eye like a shitehawk - his confidence is sky high and it's impossible to bowl normal line and length at him because he jumps about all over the place and still keeps hitting the ball in the middle of his bat.. Answers on a postcard please...

I suppose we might have a chance if we can bowl a few balls like the one Cummins bowled at Root - 90 mph, pitching middle and off then nipping off the seam and trimming off stump.
09:13, Tue 10 Sep
Smith is going to get runs, that's just to be expected.

He's not unstoppable though. He should've been out in the first innings a few times if we took our chances.
DES
09:14, Tue 10 Sep
By the way, my hero Geoffrey Boycott has been put up for a knighthood! Thoroughly deserved for his cricketing prowess, but with a conviction for assault against his former partner, he will have some shit rained down on him!

Anyway, back to Smith, there must be a way to get him out but God knows what it is!

KRO
09:18, Tue 10 Sep
DES
DES
By the way, my hero Geoffrey Boycott has been put up for a knighthood! Thoroughly deserved for his cricketing prowess, but with a conviction for assault against his former partner, he will have some shit rained down on him!

Anyway, back to Smith, there must be a way to get him out but God knows what it is!

KRO

Boycott doesn't give a toss DES

[www.bbc.co.uk]
09:26, Tue 10 Sep
I still think he'd hit it.

Anyway, I've barely been on line and thought about the whole Ashes since. Can't get carried away with the loss, but the signs are there that we do have serious issues to resolve.

Burns is worth sticking with perhaps. But we STILL need one opener at least. Time to actually back one of these younger names and stick with them.

We cannot afford a top and middle order like the one we have. We have some very talented players but not a lot of the temperament or technique required for test cricket. Oddly I do think Denly has shown some of it, especially bottle.

We can't afford Roy, Buttler, Denly, etc all in the same team. the excpetion to me is Buttler as I think he is so talented that if he was coming in when we 235/4 as opposed to the shitstorms we're used to, he is an absolute game changer both at home and away. Proper test cricketers in front of him would make the world of difference.

The sh*t batting has also obscured the fact that Broad aside (and 1.25 good games for Archer) the bowling has been toothless and benign. Worryingly so. Curran ain't the answer, he isn't good enough to be in the team for either discipline so we're going back to bits and pieces cricketers. Jofra really disappointed at Manchester, I thought.

Also, Root obviously isn't a hugely inspirational captain but people have short memories saying we should give it to Stokes - look at what it did to our last 2 world class all rounders. He has enough on his plate already, and there's barely a player worthy of their place to give it to. Think he will be saddled with it for another 18 months at least.

Oh and as much of a cult figure leach ahs become, I don't think he's a test player either, although he does at least clearly have some bottle.

All this said, assuming everyone is fit this is what the next test team should look like

Burns
Sibley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Foakes (c)
Archer
Broad
Leach
Anderson
09:31, Tue 10 Sep
We need another Trott, some boring fecker who deals in 1's & 2's only to come in and take the sting out of the attack.