14:43, Tue 10 Sep
DES
blues
The memorial is lovely. Really nice and thought out.

Maybe worded that wrong about the museum. Found it more glorifying of such an horrific event.
I found it fascinating and I learnt so much about that terrible day through that visit!

KRO

It needs to be seen it really does ... beautiful how they cut out all the names all the way around the square

By the way one thing I can recommend is , if you're a film buff like myself download a map of famous film locations ...as well as doing all the landmarks..me and my wife visited a fair few film locations.however When we went we to search for the fire station from Ghostbusters..it was difficult to find and was covered in scaffolding which spoilt the photo opportunity, but some crackers from home alone 2 near Central park plus many more....also if you're after a nice hotel reasonably price is the Westin grand Central off 42nd east and 3rd AVE (If I remember correctly) it was virtually 300yrds from grand Central station and 5th avenue (5th avenue being the main stretch which divides east west sides)

Nice hotel just over from the Chrysler building

By the way my PMs are blocked by mods (Scoobers) so not sure how to send you this guide

Thanks mate, it's OK I really appreciate it. Due to some of the info on here, she seems to be wavering now between NYC (expense, long flight and that service tax is a piss take) and a European city as they will be cheaper and more feckin Christmassy.
I appreciate all the answers, we can make a better judgement on it now, thanks all.
14:44, Tue 10 Sep
Virgin have the perfect deal but it’s only for you, not Mandy.
You pay £400 for a single flight into JFK NY and then you just stay in NY for a few years ....
Rosie ....Ohh Rosie ....I'd like to paint your knickers Blue and White !
14:44, Tue 10 Sep
πŸ–•
15:07, Tue 10 Sep
Bluesince62
Mrs Bluesince has always wanted to go, so looking at 5 nights in December (she wants to go when the place is all Christmassy).
Virgin have a sale on right now, am I best off with them or have any of you well heeled sha'ers found a better way... Expedia etc.
Ta in advance for any tips.

I know it's been asked about before, but can't find it.

The Mrs and I went at Christmas and just be prepared that NY is not as Christmassy as you'd think. Thanksgiving is much bigger and so we were a little disappointed. Still a great city, mind.
15:14, Tue 10 Sep
Glad you said that I felt pretty guilty that I had ruined their plans, then.

New York is great to visit in its own right I've been 5 times now I think so BS62 don't discount it.
Revere me.
15:25, Tue 10 Sep
Absolutely. Not been in Winter, but Central Park and generally hanging around the lower east side was a treat in early summer.
15:53, Tue 10 Sep
Not at all mate, bad reviews are just as helpful as good ones πŸ‘
We are now looking at Feb, as it's loads cheaper and if the crimbo ambience ain't all that in December, no point in paying a premium... Just mind blowing all the hotel options... Ideally midtown or downtown, if someone can actually recommend a hotel? Artist gave me the Comfort Inn on 5th and 21st(ish) but that ain't really coming up.
16:25, Tue 10 Sep
The Reverend
Glad you said that I felt pretty guilty that I had ruined their plans, then.

New York is great to visit in its own right I've been 5 times now I think so BS62 don't discount it.

Haha, just read your post. It's interesting you found the same thing. I expected it to be like Home Alone 2!

The only thing I would disagree with though, is the weather. It was fecking freezing when we went. I think it was 2105. A guy hammer a nail into a plank of wood using a frozen banana.

Oh and Bluesince 62, watch out for the rats. They're everywhere. It honestly is a brilliant city, though. I've been twice and can't wait to go back.
16:46, Tue 10 Sep
My first trip was in feb 62 and it was still freezing. My best NYC experience has been In the summer months because there is a serious swing in weather during the seasons.
16:52, Tue 10 Sep
I would always tell people to avid going there in the winter months.

The idea of seeing all the lights and the ice rink is great but it can get seriously cold, it's not fun walking around when it's minus 8 when there's so much to see.

Shorts and t-shirt weather and it's much better, imo.
16:56, Tue 10 Sep
100% agree, I was over for the Joshua fight in June and the weather was lovely... got sunburnt having a few beers and people watching in a pub in Central Park.
17:04, Tue 10 Sep
Le Mod
I would always tell people to avid going there in the winter months.

The idea of seeing all the lights and the ice rink is great but it can get seriously cold, it's not fun walking around when it's minus 8 when there's so much to see.

Shorts and t-shirt weather and it's much better, imo.

I quite like a nice chilly Autumn/Winter night there. Has a different feel, probably prefer it to when it's sunny. There's better places to go in the sun, but then I quite like the cold.
Revere me.
17:06, Tue 10 Sep
Thanks lads, I'm a summer geezer, I'm sick of our winter, let alone the much more severe NYC ones, I'll talk to the girl.
Luckily, we went to Prague one year in February (-15 touch) and though the place was very beautiful, the cold was crippling, she couldn't manage more than 20 mins at a time walking out in that. Even though it was sunny, by feck the cold hurt.
Shirts and t shirts all day long for me.
17:08, Tue 10 Sep
Central park was fantastic in the snow when I went. It was cold but still loved it there
What did the Knights in White satin?
17:14, Tue 10 Sep
Feck sake 😁