21:48, Mon 7 Oct
Tarzan
The problem with the T20 Blast is that for TV purposes there are too many teams.

If you look at other big T20 leagues such as the IPL, Big Bash and even the CPL they all have limited number of teams 6/8ish which means that every match can be shown live on TV with no clashes.

That means that clubs can easily attract all the top global players because the TV rights per club and per match are way higher than the T20 blast where 80% or more matches are not shown on TV.

Friday nights where there might be 8 or 9 matches being played simultaneously don't generate anywhere near the same average revenue per game as the other competitions as only 1 can be televised.

We've had situations such as Chris Gayle smashing something like 150 off 60 balls at Taunton witnessed only by 5,000 or so in the ground. That situation could never happen in any of the other global T20 leagues and is what the 100 is trying to avoid.

I'm no fan of it but it is getting increasingly difficult to see what the solution is. County T20 does not attract sufficient world class talent primarily because it is not affordable with limited TV coverage.

Good post. Cricket televised 7 nights a week. T20 isn't televised 7 nights a week as the Counties don't want to host on Mon Tues and Wed. Male and Female parity for the Competition. T20 and Kia Super League don't have parity.

Age 16+ engagement at Cricket is at an all time low along with other team sports. At present 25-65+ are only ones Cricket-engaged.Gets youngsters engaged.

Sole TV Rights to a competition which allows the game to re-invest in its infrastructure and not get diluted by other host nation broadcaster agreements or dependent on one of the international big 3. Remember India own 86% of the broadcast rights to the game hence their domination and footfall. 7 out of the 10 international oppostion we play at Test ODI and T20I lose money on a unworkable long term scale.

We might not like it but without it those that enjoy the privelige of watching 4 day county cricket will soon have it removed without the cash injection and tv coverage on every night from 6-930 that this offers. 16 of the 18 first class counties are running at a loss and one was close to switching the lights off this Summer and that's not the floodlights. Its a critical time for the game but on the back of the Summer of 2019 it could also be the making of it.
21:56, Mon 7 Oct
You may know something I don't.
22:00, Mon 7 Oct
[www.bbc.com]

Next summer, the BBC will have live television coverage of two England men's international T20 matches, one England women's T20 international, plus live TV coverage of 10 men's matches from The Hundred and up to eight live matches from the women's Hundred tournament, including both finals.
Revere me.
22:05, Mon 7 Oct
Green Seamer
Tarzan
The problem with the T20 Blast is that for TV purposes there are too many teams.

If you look at other big T20 leagues such as the IPL, Big Bash and even the CPL they all have limited number of teams 6/8ish which means that every match can be shown live on TV with no clashes.

That means that clubs can easily attract all the top global players because the TV rights per club and per match are way higher than the T20 blast where 80% or more matches are not shown on TV.

Friday nights where there might be 8 or 9 matches being played simultaneously don't generate anywhere near the same average revenue per game as the other competitions as only 1 can be televised.

We've had situations such as Chris Gayle smashing something like 150 off 60 balls at Taunton witnessed only by 5,000 or so in the ground. That situation could never happen in any of the other global T20 leagues and is what the 100 is trying to avoid.

I'm no fan of it but it is getting increasingly difficult to see what the solution is. County T20 does not attract sufficient world class talent primarily because it is not affordable with limited TV coverage.

Good post. Cricket televised 7 nights a week. T20 isn't televised 7 nights a week as the Counties don't want to host on Mon Tues and Wed. Male and Female parity for the Competition. T20 and Kia Super League don't have parity.

Age 16+ engagement at Cricket is at an all time low along with other team sports. At present 25-65+ are only ones Cricket-engaged.Gets youngsters engaged.

Sole TV Rights to a competition which allows the game to re-invest in its infrastructure and not get diluted by other host nation broadcaster agreements or dependent on one of the international big 3. Remember India own 86% of the broadcast rights to the game hence their domination and footfall. 7 out of the 10 international oppostion we play at Test ODI and T20I lose money on a unworkable long term scale.

We might not like it but without it those that enjoy the privelige of watching 4 day county cricket will soon have it removed without the cash injection and tv coverage on every night from 6-930 that this offers. 16 of the 18 first class counties are running at a loss and one was close to switching the lights off this Summer and that's not the floodlights. Its a critical time for the game but on the back of the Summer of 2019 it could also be the making of it.

I like it when people post realistic, quantifiable responses in the name of progress like this. The county format isn't a great one for finding the best audience or arguably the best players.
Revere me.
mad
22:09, Mon 7 Oct
Made for TV sport

More Gladiators than cricket
22:25, Mon 7 Oct
I think the horrible truth is, the longer format of the game with the exception of certain rivalries England/Australia India/Pakistan just don't attract the crowds.

I'm not sure but I don't think red ball is that well supported domestically anywhere.
22:31, Mon 7 Oct
Nope it's not. How can it be? It takes place for 4 days of a 7 day week during the working hours of most peoples day. I find it hard to understand how it was ever particularly well supported. People follow it but unless you're rich or retired you can't really go all that often.
Revere me.
22:39, Mon 7 Oct
The Reverend
Nope it's not. How can it be? It takes place for 4 days of a 7 day week during the working hours of most peoples day. I find it hard to understand how it was ever particularly well supported. People follow it but unless you're rich or retired you can't really go all that often.

we are just not going to have test cricket unless we get fully automated luxury communism 🙄
11:18, Wed 9 Oct
Micky Darrell

I’m not sure where you’re going with the fans thing. Should it be towns and cities or counties? I don’t know if Birmingham bears attracted more people than if it had been Warwickshire bears.

I live in Devon, so if I want to watch professional cricket I'd have to go to Taunton - that's ok, I accpt that Devon doesn't have a county side. However if I lived in Cardiff, I could watch Glamorgan, and at a push Gloucester or Somerset. But the way that the hundred is set up the Somerset franchise covers the whole of the SW, West Country and Wales. Fans won't buy into that in my opinion and I think it's an insult to those fans that do follow their sides.
11:29, Wed 9 Oct
But they want people who don't follow county sides to attend.

And if those current followers are anything like Blues fans, come the start of play, no matter what the club or league have done, they will be there to watch as its what they do.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
11:29, Wed 9 Oct
kevb8ll
Micky Darrell

I’m not sure where you’re going with the fans thing. Should it be towns and cities or counties? I don’t know if Birmingham bears attracted more people than if it had been Warwickshire bears.

I live in Devon, so if I want to watch professional cricket I'd have to go to Taunton - that's ok, I accpt that Devon doesn't have a county side. However if I lived in Cardiff, I could watch Glamorgan, and at a push Gloucester or Somerset. But the way that the hundred is set up the Somerset franchise covers the whole of the SW, West Country and Wales. Fans won't buy into that in my opinion and I think it's an insult to those fans that do follow their sides.

This is one of the anomalies of the set up in that there is no Somerset franchise (indeed there are no franchises but I get what you mean which is 'city-based teams') and the fact that a large area of the country is not 'covered' by the new set up. The likelihood of a Devonian going to Cardiff to watch The 100 is slim I imagine and the only thing to bear in mind is that the Womens 100 will be played at Bristol and Taunton due to the success of the Western Storm team over the last 4 years. Some consolation I guess but not the full package.
13:28, Wed 9 Oct
Devon does have a county team - it's just that it's a 'minor county'...a weird hangover from ancient days that needs sorting.

Is the success of 'the 100' going to be measured by sponsorship and TV viewing figures rather than bums on seats?

If you're only going to have max 8 teams and they're going to be city based, large areas (S West, E Anglia, Cumbria...) are going to miss out
13:34, Wed 9 Oct
Lord Rockingham
Devon does have a county team - it's just that it's a 'minor county'...a weird hangover from ancient days that needs sorting.

Is the success of 'the 100' going to be measured by sponsorship and TV viewing figures rather than bums on seats?

If you're only going to have max 8 teams and they're going to be city based, large areas (S West, E Anglia, Cumbria...) are going to miss out

They are [www.bbc.co.uk]
13:36, Wed 9 Oct
Lord Rockingham

There's barely any bums on seats at county games. The argument from counties falls down with that. Too many teams compared to the elite teams of other countries.
Revere me.
14:39, Wed 9 Oct
El Mayor
Lord Rockingham

They are [www.bbc.co.uk]

The change in name from Minor County to National County comes in at the start of the 2020 and is in keeping with ECBs new 5 year strategy to grow the game. The word Minor was considered demeaning hence the change. Also the National Counties will have game against the First Class Counties in 2020 as part of a new programme so Devon v Somerset for instance could appear on the fixture list.

The success of the 100 will be measured by brand value / bums on seats / TV and online viewing figures / corporate reach plus and most importantly kids taking up the game in a new format for 8-11 year olds sponsored by Sky and a BBC styled Peoples Cup for 16+ age group like we have in football.

Its true large areas may miss out but some would say we have too many teams anyway … as mentioned earlier in these posts many counties are running at an insufferable loss and with out the ££ injection will go to the wall which for the silver surfers with their packs of sandwiches and cream cakes that bask in the 4 day game would be tragic ! Its this or no 4 day cricket ,. so they are going to have to suck it up if they want their sojourns in the sun on a Wed Afternoon in June.