20:08, Wed 9 Oct
Sometimes when a film is built up I find it can be a bit of a let down so I was a bit apprehensive about watching Joker. Watched it today and I can honestly say it’s one of the best films I have seen in a long time.

I thought Ledger played the role brilliantly in Dark Knight so I thought Phoenix had some large shoes to fill. I’d go as far as to say he plays the role even better. It may not be every ones cup of tea but I recommend it.
20:23, Wed 9 Oct
I enjoyed it but it was possibly over dark even for a batman film. Phoenix played a awesome psychopathic Micky Flanagan type role 9/10 for me.
20:24, Wed 9 Oct
I agree totally it's an amazing film , a dark commentary on mental health issues at least here in the US , you reap what you sow , Joaquin Phoenix IS the joker , he plays it superbly , the slow descent is remarkable. 5 Novaks for me.
20:31, Wed 9 Oct
Ledger was funnier and scarier. Phoenix is very good - physically its a great performance - but it all seemed a bit predictable.

It was decent but everything that happens is pretty obvious, its nicked some very large parts from King Of Comedy and Taxi Driver, and most of the other characters don't even register (Zazie Beetz is criminally under used and, in the end, pointless).

The best "comic book film that's not a comic book film" is still Logan.

Doesn't get anywhere near the hype.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
20:45, Wed 9 Oct
I think given they both played clowns filling large shoes is a given
20:46, Wed 9 Oct
Agree just got back from watching it and it's the best film I've seen this year. Very hard to describe it really, it's one you have got to see and make your own mind up.
21:27, Wed 9 Oct
number8
Ledger was funnier and scarier. Phoenix is very good - physically its a great performance - but it all seemed a bit predictable.
Agree with this.

I wasn’t sure what to expect before seeing it but I found myself a bit bored at times. Felt like it was constantly building up to some massive twist but in the end it just didn’t have that moment and was as you say, predictable.

A fantastic perspective on mental health issues etc but for me I came away thinking it could have offered a lot more, 3 Novak’s.
08:34, Thu 10 Oct
Thought it was amazing, whatever floats your boat though I think!
08:56, Thu 10 Oct
Biggest crime was pinching a classic Bob Monkhouse joke and misinterpreting it. It may have been deliberate but I'm not sure Americans have that depth

In case youre wondering :
When I was young, I said I wanted to be a comedian and everybody laughed. Well, they're not laughing now

Great soundtrack though. Cream, and even Gary Glitter (without the lyrics) amongst a lot of Sinatra
10:12, Thu 10 Oct
I’m scared of clowns. I once hit bubbles from zippo’s circus in the balls when I was a kid because he came too close. I had nightmares about Charlie carolli. It looks like a clown based film so I think I’ll swerve it.
10:32, Thu 10 Oct
I went to see Ready Or Not instead and it was flipping brilliant- we've got a new Margot Robbie.
11:17, Thu 10 Oct
I'm not a big superhero fan, my wife is and she dragged me along.

I thought it was great, very edgy, very moving, brilliant performance by Pheonix and very good portrayal of someone succumbing to mental health issues.

I hope there's a sequel but not sure there will be - this was the back-story film to the Joker.

Delicious plot twist, is he BW's HB or not?
11:21, Thu 10 Oct
Sometimes when a film is built up I find it can be a bit of a let down so I was a bit apprehensive about watching Joker. Watched it today and I can honestly say it’s one of the best films I have seen in a long time.

I thought Ledger played the role brilliantly in Dark Knight so I thought Phoenix had some large shoes to fill. I’d go as far as to say he plays the role even better. It may not be every ones cup of tea but I recommend it.

I thought the acting was superb ... BUT the film itself gets as boring as feck at times and too often relies on hackneyed clichés and is way too predictable for the more sophisticated UK audiences as opposed to the Septic market
11:25, Thu 10 Oct
He's not his half brother. There will be no sequel.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
11:36, Thu 10 Oct
I don't think various Jokers should be compared. The comics and stand alone stories have had him from a petty thief to a playboy, to an almost superhuman fighting machine. The films have done the same and so we've seen various guises of the same villain. Ledger's Joker was too confident for ,y liking. The Joker should be all over the place with his confidence and abilities.

For me the Killing Joke is probably the Joker I see as being the version Batman has been up against. He's a criminal with issues. Him and Batman are the same coin but the Joker has mentally stepped over the edge and doesn't mind killing.
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.