11:16, Mon 4 Nov
The Reverend
DES
Someone earlier on this thread used a great word,
Losing to Fulham in 75 changed the whole trajectory of the club, facing down rather than facing up!

Kro

Only those of a certain vintage will appreciate how big the fa cup was back then! Bigger than winning the title or the European cup to fans!
Sad sad night @ Maine Rd.

You lot need to get over it. It was a second replay against lower league opposition wasn't it? Had plenty of opportunity to put them away.

We had drawn 1-1 at Hillsborough.
Just because my opinion differs from yours, doesn't mean mine is wrong.
11:23, Mon 4 Nov
[/quote]

Fulham, Maine rd 1975

Close thread.[/quote]

Is the wrong answer.[/quote]

Fulham at Hillsborough is the correct answer.
11:24, Mon 4 Nov
raggedblue

Fulham, Maine rd 1975

Close thread.[/quote]

Is the wrong answer.[/quote]

Fulham at Hillsborough is the correct answer.[/quote]

I will agree with that.
Just because my opinion differs from yours, doesn't mean mine is wrong.
11:25, Mon 4 Nov
You're right it was the second.

Stearman had assaulted a couple of our players in the first 20 minutes or so, should have been off but only picked up one yellow. I think Craig took the dive in trying to get Stearman sent off but he paid the price instead. It was utterly stupid - the dogheads were in awful form and with 11 men on the pitch I think we would have beaten them...as we should have with 10 men anyway.
11:31, Mon 4 Nov
WorcsAzul
You're right it was the second.

Stearman had assaulted a couple of our players in the first 20 minutes or so, should have been off but only picked up one yellow. I think Craig took the dive in trying to get Stearman sent off but he paid the price instead. It was utterly stupid - the dogheads were in awful form and with 11 men on the pitch I think we would have beaten them...as we should have with 10 men anyway.
Blues are probably the best team to get relegated from the Premier League this decade. That Wolves side is probably the worst team to avoid relegation this decade.

Mick McCarthy did unbelievably well getting that team of lower league journeymen up in the first place, never mind keep them up for a couple of years after.
11:37, Mon 4 Nov
Balti
The season before the Fulham semi Blues finished 19th in the League. The season after Blues finished 19th. The season of the semi itself Blues finished 17th.

I do wonder if that team was really as bloody brilliant as some make out to be honest.

Yep I've said it in the past, the 70s love in is a bit of a nonsense. We achieved far more 01 through 11.
Revere me.
11:42, Mon 4 Nov
Balti
The season before the Fulham semi Blues finished 19th in the League. The season after Blues finished 19th. The season of the semi itself Blues finished 17th.

I do wonder if that team was really as bloody brilliant as some make out to be honest.

I always laugh at how some people rave about how winning that would've made us this massive club. Some teams that won it between 1975 & 1985:

Southampton
Ipswich
West Ham
QPR
Brighton

And they're all fecking massive now.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
12:00, Mon 4 Nov
85Blue
Spurs 2011, would have needed a minor miracle with the wolves game mind, but Europe the following year with Prem money and pulling power would have been something
Agreed
12:28, Mon 4 Nov
slight tangent - in that not a match result, but if Coombs had offered the managers job to Cloughie when he had the chance
13:12, Mon 4 Nov
Spitting Image
John_Smullen

Fulham, Maine rd 1975

Close thread.

Agreed

This
13:23, Mon 4 Nov
Barnsley home 0 4 in semi play off. If we could have gone up with Trevor then.......
13:25, Mon 4 Nov
The Spurs 2011 result being a 'sliding doors' moment is a great way of putting it.
That is the one result I would change (or the Wolves home game or the Fulham home game).

Also the last Villa result.
They are now in the division above with infinite money available.
We may not play them again for a good while so would have been nice to have won the most recent game against them.
Actually I'd change that Mitchell fella coming on the pitch. If that hadn't have happened we would have walked the game. Moron.
13:25, Mon 4 Nov
Balti
...which one would it be?

In my lifetime, probably the defeat at Fulham in 2008. A win there would have kept us up, would have stopped all the subsequent oppoborium flying at G&S that ended up with them flogging the club to Yeung and I think we would have (relatively speaking) thrived from thereon.

Fulham, Maine rd 1975

Close thread.

I still have flashbacks ... i swear i was mentally scarred from that night. Last time i cried over football
13:51, Mon 4 Nov
Bluewurst
We could always have still lost the final vs. West Ham y'know...

We would have slaughtered them

The 1975 semi result changed the trajectory of our whole club, we were ahead of the times.

It would have propelled us into the top tier, we would have been effing massive
Would we? That question refers to your first and third point.

I'm not being facetious here, this was way before my time.

Yes. We would.

The FA cup was massive. Teams have won it since, but none were playing with a system that was years ahead of its time.

Goodwin changed that system for Hillsborough and it bit us on the bum.

Later on as football developed, most teams started to use it. Years later. The early adopters won stuff. We were ahead for hat curve.

Being able to attract better players to go with a visionary coach was what’s e missed out on
@Bluewurst1875
13:51, Mon 4 Nov
Super Hans
Balti

I always laugh at how some people rave about how winning that would've made us this massive club. Some teams that won it between 1975 & 1985:

Southampton
Ipswich
West Ham
QPR
Brighton

And they're all fecking massive now.

Not sure Brighton won during those years? I recall them losing a replay to Man Utd after having a one-on-one chance to score the winner in the first game in injury time which was saved by the Utd keeper.

As for Blues, my own personal choices would be the Fulham semi final (I wasn't there but listening to what was BRMB at the time) and the Liverpool final at Cardiff which I was at. But I suspect a bigger game for us to have won in terms of the ultimate affect on our future may have been the '56 FA Cup Final. Doubt there's anybody on here that can recall that one though.