12:26, Wed 6 Nov
Look at how Southampton have done it.

Their philosophy seems to have survived multiple changes of manager.

Since the new pwners arrived I'm not sure that has been the case. One of the concerns at the moment seems to be they haven't got a "football man" the manager can liase with
12:28, Wed 6 Nov
fradge
Balti
cjm1908
it is a very inefficient way to run a football club in the modern game. It is fine if you have a manager for 3-5 years plus but this very rarely happens nowadays.
Yet you find the ones that do have Managers in place for that long have usually done well in that time. Maybe clubs and fans should be more patient with managers.
You need a sporting director to create a club philosophy which the manager must adhere to
Or you could just get a decent manager in place and let him mould the team using his own "philosophy" (a hipster footballing buzzword I can't abide btw)
otherwise you end up chopping and changing philosophies with the different managers
You don't chop and change if you get a decent manager in place and give them time.
Look at Man U for example. They have signed players for different philosophies and now they are left with a mismatch of shite.
Quite the contrary, I actually think Manchester United's state of flux stems from the fact that they haven't got a dictator in there running that club top to bottom as Ferguson did. Once they find another one of those they'll be alright.

What's the average tenure for a Manager now?

Look at how Southampton have done it.

Their philosophy seems to have survived multiple changes of manager.
They are deep in shit this season. Their Director of Football has just gone to Rangers because the lines became so blurred at Saints as to who was accountable for what.
12:30, Wed 6 Nov
cjm1908
I think you are living in the past. Guardiola does not pick the players for man city. He may have a say but he does not bring a list to the table. He tells Txiki Begiristain that they need a new centre half and he will go and source one. Only 2 premier league clubs now operate without a director of football. Man U and Sheff Utd
Similar sized club to us who've jumped two divisions in three years because they got a good manager in and let him get on with it.
12:35, Wed 6 Nov
yeah but how many chris wilders are there? I think we will have to agree to disagree on the best leadership strategies
12:48, Wed 6 Nov
cjm1908
yeah but how many chris wilders are there?
Probably a fair few if given half the chance.
12:58, Wed 6 Nov
Super Hans
jefflynneshair
'From what I know, transfers are solely being handled now by club CEO Ren Xuandong and Kristjaan Speakman, who appears to be Sporting Director in all but name.'

If this is true then we are in big trouble.

Why? Apart from the striker situation the recruitment in the summer was excellent.

Additionally, we're left with Lee Camp in goal and no real width to the squad (Maghoma and injury plagued loanee Montero aside).

Summer recruitment was ok, much better than previous disasters for sure but the jury remains out as we're currently a mid-table side.
@stevanderman
13:20, Wed 6 Nov
jefflynneshair
Super Hans
jefflynneshair
'From what I know, transfers are solely being handled now by club CEO Ren Xuandong and Kristjaan Speakman, who appears to be Sporting Director in all but name.'

Why? Apart from the striker situation the recruitment in the summer was excellent.

Additionally, we're left with Lee Camp in goal and no real width to the squad (Maghoma and injury plagued loanee Montero aside).

Summer recruitment was ok, much better than previous disasters for sure but the jury remains out as we're currently a mid-table side.
👍
13:29, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
jefflynneshair
Super Hans
jefflynneshair

👍

I think Dong et al know we need a GK but we have Stockdale on a fortune and Lee Camp who probably earns a decent wage too, big hit to pay them to sit in the reserves, I wish they'd take the hit though.
13:36, Wed 6 Nov
Super Hans
jefflynneshair

How are the irreplaceables who left in the summer doing at their new clubs? How many points do we have in comparison to this time last year?
14:27, Wed 6 Nov
cjm1908
well if that is the case he is doing a better job then dein and vetere to be fair to him
Yep, recruitment has been excellent and long may it continue, couldn’t care less who is bringing in the players aslong as they are good players who have good re sale potential.
14:33, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
newblue
Exactly. Mayor says ‘the club’ is identifying targets and the two blokes are ‘handling transfers’. There’s nothing wrong with that and a world removed from the model where managers had a very murky part in buying and selling. Only made worse where agents are involved.
Why is it murky that a football manager chooses which players to buy and sell?

I think you’ve misrepresented what I wrote. I didn’t say ‘chooses’, I talked about managers having a very active part in settling the sum and terms of player purchase and sale within which practice wide boys like Fry and Redknapp thrived. If you’re ok with shady dealings, money passed illicitly and so on, perhaps it doesn’t bother you - maybe you regard it as ‘incentive’ rather than corruption. You mention Ferguson, I seem to recall some of his dealings and the involvement of his son as an agent fell into the ‘interesting’ category.
14:57, Wed 6 Nov
Fat Buddha
Super Hans
jefflynneshair

How are the irreplaceables who left in the summer doing at their new clubs? How many points do we have in comparison to this time last year?

Not sure of the identity of the 'irreplaceables' I'm guessing one of them is Che Adams though as the club just didn't bother to replace him.

Just to be clear, are you saying that a fractionally improved points return (assuming that's what it is) in early November is a measure of how far we've improved? If so, I'd like to direct your attention towards last year's transfer embargo and the quality of player we were able to bring in on a 10k a week wage.
@stevanderman
15:13, Wed 6 Nov
It's too early to be comparing seasons. There's no doubt the team has far more potential this season though.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
15:27, Wed 6 Nov
How many points do we have in comparison to this time last year?

We had one point more at this stage of last season (23 vs 22)
We'd scored 4 more (20 vs 16)
We'd conceded 6 fewer (14 vs 20)
We we're 3 places higher in the league (9th vs 12th)

(We might need to stop making that comparison for the moment)
08:40, Thu 7 Nov
newblue
Balti
newblue
Exactly. Mayor says ‘the club’ is identifying targets and the two blokes are ‘handling transfers’. There’s nothing wrong with that and a world removed from the model where managers had a very murky part in buying and selling. Only made worse where agents are involved.
Why is it murky that a football manager chooses which players to buy and sell?

I think you’ve misrepresented what I wrote. I didn’t say ‘chooses’, I talked about managers having a very active part in settling the sum and terms of player purchase and sale within which practice wide boys like Fry and Redknapp thrived.
When Fry was at Blues he had nothing do with the money side of things, he chose the players and Brady sorted the money out. Here the CEO is choosing the players and sorting out the money, there is the inherent difference.

The only Manager to have control over who is bought and sold at Blues in the past few months is Monk. I suspect his resistance to changing that is as pivotal a factor as any as to why he left.
If you’re ok with shady dealings, money passed illicitly and so on, perhaps it doesn’t bother you - maybe you regard it as ‘incentive’ rather than corruption. You mention Ferguson, I seem to recall some of his dealings and the involvement of his son as an agent fell into the ‘interesting’ category.
I don't find Ferguson's dealings interesting at all, I don't know why you are so bothered by "shady dealings" tbh. Managers, Executives, Agents etc can all bung eachother as much as they like as far as I'm concerned as long as their teams perform on the pitch.