17:31, Mon 2 Dec
Had to take our Norfolk Terrier to the vets today, think we knew what was coming. Almost 12 and struggling to breathe and a fast decline over last week or so. Turns out he was riddled with cancer. Thought I'd do the right thing and stay with him and talk to him as they administered the injection.
Kin ell, you don't realise how attached you get to the little shits.
Not a person, just a dog. I now understand though what all the other dog owner threads were about, when you feel them go... shit.
I was in bits, how does that happen when you never wanted the little git in the first place?

Cue the man up posts and yeah, you're right 🙁
17:32, Mon 2 Dec
I hope I kick the bucket before my dog does
17:40, Mon 2 Dec
Lost my dog and cat both lived to 18. Was absolutely devastated nearly as bad as losing my parents. Time will help the healing process. Kro ...
17:49, Mon 2 Dec
Gutted for you mate, dog ownership is so rewarding and they definitely become one of the family.
17:51, Mon 2 Dec
Know your pain mate. I had to watch my cat I had since I was a nipper die a few years back. Loved that miserable fecker, was in bits for a few days after.

Hope you can move on alright.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
19:00, Mon 2 Dec
Sorry to hear that mate,
Atleast you know you've done your best in its lifetime.
👍
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
19:07, Mon 2 Dec
So very sorry to hear your news. The only thing that I can think of to say is that I know that it hurts like hell at the moment, and nothing will change that, but you've given that dog a great life - and that's all that counts, really, The hurt will subside, but the fact that your dog had a great life, and was dearly loved, won't ever change. And that really IS all that matters.
@6strings4paws
19:12, Mon 2 Dec
I dread it. I love Alfie like my kids, he comes up on the sofa and cuddles up to me. He snucks his snout under my chin.

He's 6 1/2. I know that in approx 6 years or so.....

He has his own Facebook page. I know it's daft. But I tell you what's even dafter

He has more fans than Into The Shadows. Comfortably more!!!!!!
19:30, Mon 2 Dec
Brother Tam
So very sorry to hear your news. The only thing that I can think of to say is that I know that it hurts like hell at the moment, and nothing will change that, but you've given that dog a great life - and that's all that counts, really, The hurt will subside, but the fact that your dog had a great life, and was dearly loved, won't ever change. And that really IS all that matters.

Absolutely, couldn't put it any better
19:50, Mon 2 Dec
Sorry for your loss mate. When you take a pet on it becomes part of the family and brings joy to your heart.

Glad you stayed till the end with him/her as that’s when they need you most as the fear sets in but you was there to comfort mate.

I watched a show only last week with a vet who said it breaks his heart when he has to put a pet down , but he said that 90% of people can’t be there when they inject the poor animals cos of the pain watching them pass.

But he said that’s when they need you most I’m glad you was there as a great comforter for your pet god bless him.

I hated cats all my life so when my Mrs brought 1 home 5 yr ago I went mental but I love the little fecker now part of the family. Enjoy the memory’s mate sorry again for your loss
20:05, Mon 2 Dec
texasblue
Glad you stayed till the end with him/her as that’s when they need you most as the fear sets in but you was there to comfort mate.

I watched a show only last week with a vet who said it breaks his heart when he has to put a pet down , but he said that 90% of people can’t be there when they inject the poor animals cos of the pain watching them pass.

But he said that’s when they need you most I’m glad you was there as a great comforter for your pet god bless him.

I agree 100%. Heartbreaking though it is - and I've done it twice now - it's their needs that are most important at that time. I'm shocked at that figure of 90%, but BS62 - you did absolutely the right thing. Good on you.
@6strings4paws
20:14, Mon 2 Dec
Sorry to hear your news

Got two myself, one of which is 10, a good age for a bulldog. I know he’s on the downwards now, but I made a promise to him to always put his needs first, which you have clearly done today.

It’s an awfully sad and heartbreaking thing, but take comfort in the fact you gave him a loving home and an incredible life.

Our boy has seen many changes, multiple house moves, a. Second dog, a baby and he’s taken it all in his stride, the day I have to make the call will be one of the saddest days of my life and nothing can prepare me for it. He’s been my best mate since the second I picked him up, love him like a child, but always knew what I was signing up for and wouldn’t swap it for anything, they really do bring a lot of happiness and laughs...

Well done for staying there to help him and absolutely no shame in being upset dude, dogs crush all their owners when they go
20:16, Mon 2 Dec
Surprised it's as high as 90%. Wife and myself, sat on the lawn with ours, when the vet did the deed, couple of years back.

Wouldn't have been anywhere else
What did the Knights in White satin?
20:29, Mon 2 Dec
Yeah cheers all, thought the worst bit at the time was signing the euthanasia form with him next to me, but to then feel/see his lights go as I was fussing him...feck me.

Never want a dog again, not worth the grief. Gutted and of course I know there is worse. Thanks for the kind words to a soppy owd sod.
20:34, Mon 2 Dec
Bluesince62
Yeah cheers all, thought the worst bit at the time was signing the euthanasia form with him next to me, but to then feel/see his lights go as I was fussing him...feck me.

Never want a dog again, not worth the grief. Gutted and of course I know there is worse. Thanks for the kind words to a soppy owd sod.

I know how you feel, mate. Obviously opinions differ, but to me it IS worth the grief for the happiness that they bring you and the happiness that you give to them. I understand that you won't be feeling that way at the moment, of course. It's heartbreaking at the moment. Any time you want, just send a PM.
@6strings4paws