But if he was forced to blow his whistle because the Boro staff were already on the pitch heading or already treating there player of their own volition, forcing him to then blow his whistle and stop the game whilst in play. Then that is cheating and they should be punished accordingly.

This is what Pep was alluding to in his post match comments, quite right too .

KRO
09:28, Wed 22 Jan
Yeah, there are two issues here.

Firstly the ref, it's a classic example of what I always say about refs - they don't half make like difficult for themselves. If he blows up quickly - there's no biggie. But to wait until we are in with a serious chance to score and then blow, just makes him look an utter fanny. Doesn't need to happen.

Then there's the issue of the 27 Boro staff deciding they are going to get the game stopped by running onto the pitch. That is blatant cheating and they should all be banned from the dugout along with Woodgate who is responsible for his staff. You must be very lacking in confidence as a manager if you need all those staff to back you up - it was like The Charge of The effing Light Brigade when they all came charging on.

And actually there's a wider point which needs dealing with, which is the constant need clubs feel to cheat. That was a perfectly clear example of the player going down to get the game stopped and prevent us breaking. Then there is the constant assumption that a game will be stopped every time a player goes down. In the vast, vast majority of cases there is eff all wrong with the player he just wants the game stopped. He knows there's nothing wrong with him, his team knows there is nothing wrong with him, his management know there is nothing wrong with him, everybody in the ground knows there is nothing wrong with him, hell - even the referee knows there is nothing wrong with him - but we still have to go through the charade of having the game stopped and the player pretending to have made a miracle recovery.
09:53, Wed 22 Jan
And actually there's a wider point which needs dealing with, which is the constant need clubs feel to cheat. That was a perfectly clear example of the player going down to get the game stopped and prevent us breaking. Then there is the constant assumption that a game will be stopped every time a player goes down. In the vast, vast majority of cases there is eff all wrong with the player he just wants the game stopped. He knows there's nothing wrong with him, his team knows there is nothing wrong with him, his management know there is nothing wrong with him, everybody in the ground knows there is nothing wrong with him, hell - even the referee knows there is nothing wrong with him - but we still have to go through the charade of having the game stopped and the player pretending to have made a miracle recovery.

...do you think the time has come to allow players to get treatment whilst the game goes on around them, very serious incidents aside of course, might put a stop to the blatant cheating and time wasting that is spoiling the game?
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men

...do you think the time has come to allow players to get treatment whilst the game goes on around them, very serious incidents aside of course, might put a stop to the blatant cheating and time wasting that is spoiling the game?

No, as there was nothing wrong with him. Action needs to be taken against players that cheat this way.
10:06, Wed 22 Jan
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men

Agreed. They don’t stop the game in rugby so why do we need to in football?
No future.....
10:09, Wed 22 Jan
I think yes to that.

You are obviously right, but the difficulty is in telling a player he is cheating...even though everybody knows he is...under instruction from his manager who is also cheating.

I would have the fourth official controlling it and being responsible for letting the physio on the pitch without the game being stopped. Because let's face it - once the players and managers know the game isn't being stopped, there will be no point doing it anyway. And if a player is genuinely injured, he will get immediate treatment.

I would also make "tactical fouling" a mandatory yellow card - wherever on the pitch the foul occurred. That has become widely accepted and is another skid mark on the game...but that's a different discussion.
10:15, Wed 22 Jan
Yes I think that would be a step in the right direction 👍
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men

The situation is hideous ....and I include one or two of our own players in that.
It's laughable.

Rugby League's method is the simple and logical answer ie exactly as described above. It works !!
- the game should carry on and only stop it if someone is dead.
Credit, patience and stay behind them

Lol, obviously some protocol regarding head injuries is needed, but once the players/managers/coaching staff are aware that the play isn't going to stop just because someone throws themselves on the ground the sooner the better, and it might eradicate some of the cheating.
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men

Lol, obviously some protocol regarding head injuries is needed, but once the players/managers/coaching staff are aware that the play isn't going to stop just because someone throws themselves on the ground the sooner the better, and it might eradicate some of the cheating.

I agree 100%
The 'dead' bit was to reinforce the absurdity of how this cheating now has a total grip on the game.
Don't stop the game as they all fall down one by one. It kills it. No intensity and we're paying to witness that bullshit.
Its such a simple solution - tell the clubs its gonna happen immediately and then DO IT !!
Implement it asap and provide the game, it's participants and us the fans with some much needed integrity.
Credit, patience and stay behind them
10:27, Wed 22 Jan
The blame is 100% with the player. I don't blame the physio, who has a duty of care, from running on if he thought the player was unconscious - I thought he could be as he didn't seem to move and I think the players around him were calling the physio on, which usually means it's serious, (although I admit I wasn't watching him that carefully as I was concentrating on the Blues attack)

I don't think the ref had much choice but to blow up once the medical staff were on. As for the mass brawl, I guess we're going to be in trouble again regardless of whose fault it was.
10:33, Wed 22 Jan
You are spot on.

No consideration whatsoever is given to the paying public who are paying good money to watch a game of football and instead are subjected to a concerted conspiracy to give them as little football to watch as possible.

Instead we see 90 odd minutes of posing, preening, rolling about on the floor, time wasting, cheating and general shithousery for which the people who subject us to it demand ever increasingly vast amounts of money.

And the lawmakers are as bad, because every change or tweak they introduce seems designed to slow the game down and encourage even less time spent playing football.

And as you say - I don't exempt our players from it either.
10:38, Wed 22 Jan
The Mail says that the other Boro stikers and Lee Camp called them on, so they must have been at least concerned initially.

I don't think you'll ever get physio on whilst the game is happening, but I can see a time when if you call the trainer to stop the game where there wasn't a foul given, then that player has to stay off the pitch for 5 minutes or something afterwards. That'd stop fake injuries overnight.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men

That is such a simple easy answer to the issue that it will never happen.
SHA's Resident Estate Agent
11:08, Wed 22 Jan
Hawaii Blue
But if he was forced to blow his whistle because the Boro staff were already on the pitch heading or already treating there player of their own volition, forcing him to then blow his whistle and stop the game whilst in play. Then that is cheating and they should be punished accordingly.

This is what Pep was alluding to in his post match comments, quite right too .

KRO

Which is the crux of the matter. Boro should be penalised for stopping the game by entering the pitch. If not it will set a precedent.