DES
11:09, Wed 22 Jan
Would have been 100 today, probably my fave ever manager (apologies to all the other greats) but still the only man to win us the world cup.
That team, Banks, Moore & Bobby Charlton, imho the three greatest players in their positions in our countries history!
What a great era that was to be young and English, top country in the world for Fashion Football and pop music!
Hopefully one day we will emulate that again.

Alf, thanks for the memories!

KRO
11:38, Wed 22 Jan
DES
Seconded. We were the fortunate generation. Everything now is bleak and the future uncertain.
Alive: but not living.
11:44, Wed 22 Jan
DES
DES
What a great era that was to be an English white male

weaponsguru -
"To be fair, the worse side I've seen at St Andrews this season is Blues"
DES
11:47, Wed 22 Jan
spionkop
Seconded. We were the fortunate generation. Everything now is bleak and the future uncertain.

We were certainly dead lucky to be baby boomers Spion, but I think the world is still a great place, and if southgate was to replicate Alf`s greatest achievement then no one would be happier than me.I`m not one to live in the past and I donrt always look back with rose coloured specs, but 30th July 66 was a very special day for all of us lucky enough to have been around back then
I thought 2006 was a fantastic opportunity for England under Sven to win it again, if you look back on that squad it was excellant but sadly it was not to be!

KRO
DES
11:49, Wed 22 Jan
notts_blue
DES
What a great era that was to be an English white male

Notts, To be English is to have won first place in the lottery of life
Cecil Rhodes said that back in the 1800`s but still as true today as it was then!

KRO
11:54, Wed 22 Jan
DES
Would that be Cecil Rhodes the slave trader, DES?
12:29, Wed 22 Jan
DES
We will never match those days for football OR music, IMHO
12:54, Wed 22 Jan
Fat Buddha

😂😂😂
Promoted.
12:56, Wed 22 Jan
DES
I donrt always look back with rose coloured specs

You have the reddest specs of anyone I have ever encountered.
Promoted.
13:10, Wed 22 Jan
DES
DES

Notts, To be English is to have won first place in the lottery of life
Cecil Rhodes said that back in the 1800`s but still as true today as it was then!

KRO

weaponsguru -
"To be fair, the worse side I've seen at St Andrews this season is Blues"
DES
13:52, Wed 22 Jan
Fat Buddha

Actually it always gets to me how this country doesnt get the credit it deserves for abolishing the slave trade in the 1830`s which was twenty years before Cecil Rhodes was born, yes he was an imperialist,and a Colonialist, but slave trader? Not that Im aware!

KRO
14:01, Wed 22 Jan
DES
DES
Fat Buddha

Actually it always gets to me how this country doesnt get the credit it deserves for abolishing the slave trade in the 1830`s which was twenty years before Cecil Rhodes was born, yes he was an imperialist,and a Colonialist, but slave trader? Not that Im aware!

KRO

The following is from his Wiki page, while anybody can write on there I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to find an actual reliable source confirming this.

Ambitions such as these, juxtaposed with his policies regarding indigenous Africans in the Cape Colony—describing the country's native black population as largely "in a state of barbarism", he advocated their governance as a "subject race", and was at the centre of actions to marginalise them politically—have led recent critics to characterise him as a white supremacist and "an architect of apartheid".

Sounds like a great guy.

*edit, there’s also this nugget a bit further down the page 😂

Rhodes wanted to expand the British Empire because he believed that the Anglo-Saxon race was destined to greatness. In his last will and testament, Rhodes said of the English, "I contend that we are the first race in the world, and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race. I contend that every acre added to our territory means the birth of more of the English race who otherwise would not be brought into existence." These views struck a chord with Adolf Hitler, who claimed that Rhodes was the only Englishman who truly understood Anglo-Saxon ideals.
14:18, Wed 22 Jan
DES

Actually it always gets to me how this country doesnt get the credit it deserves for abolishing the slave trade in the 1830`s !

KRO

This is an interesting read, compensation modern equivalent to £17 billion paid out, not to the slaves but the slave owners. The slaves themselves were forced to work the fields for a further six years after the supposed abolition of slavery – 45 hours a week for no pay.

[www.theguardian.com]
14:50, Wed 22 Jan
Cheer up you old sods. Live for the present and look to the future!!
DES
16:04, Wed 22 Jan
Mario Melchiot
Cheer up you old sods. Live for the present and look to the future!!
Bloody Hell Mods, this has turned into a thread for the politics page we've now got the Guardinista views of the world now on what started as a tribute to Sir Alf!!