DES
20:52, Wed 22 Jan
The Reverend
I donrt always look back with rose coloured specs

You have the reddest specs of anyone I have ever encountered.
Red with tears perhaps thinking about Maine Rd 75 Rev, but on the whole happy that the years have been healthy and happy!
Kro
21:12, Wed 22 Jan
DES
Returning to football.

Yes 1966 was great. But I believe that we were even better in 1970. A sequence of 'unknowns unknowns' did for us. Firstly the disgraceful attempts to disrupt our preparations in Bogota and then in Mexico itself - not the best of hosting. The oh so unfortunate bug that forced the one and only Gordon Banks out of the quarter final and then that game itself - cruising past the West Germans but then disaster courtesy I feel mainly due to some inept goalkeeping from Bonetti - always disliked Chelsea from then on.

That said, the best footballing game of the tournament was us v the Brazilians - had it all.

Sir Alf - a great manager - once sat opposite him on the Tube - he was very gracious when eventually I plucked up courage to speak to him.
DES
22:25, Wed 22 Jan
drpeter
Returning to football.

Yes 1966 was great. But I believe that we were even better in 1970. A sequence of 'unknowns unknowns' did for us. Firstly the disgraceful attempts to disrupt our preparations in Bogota and then in Mexico itself - not the best of hosting. The oh so unfortunate bug that forced the one and only Gordon Banks out of the quarter final and then that game itself - cruising past the West Germans but then disaster courtesy I feel mainly due to some inept goalkeeping from Bonetti - always disliked Chelsea from then on.

That said, the best footballing game of the tournament was us v the Brazilians - had it all.

Sir Alf - a great manager - once sat opposite him on the Tube - he was very gracious when eventually I plucked up courage to speak to him.
You are dead right about 1970, if banks had been fit the German game would have finished 2.0 to us, would we have beaten Italy in semi?
I think yes!
Always thought it strange osgood played no part In that competition as he was Superb that season for Chelsea!
Back to Ramsey, tactically astute and his players loved him, what a winning combination!
Kro