triplet dad
Born in Brum to a mum from Mayo and a Geordie Dad (RIP). Lived in Sparkhill until we moved to Ireland when I was 7.

I only lived there for 12 years but it's indelibly stamped on me. I've been in Edinburgh now for 30 years and according to my Scottish wife and kids I still sound like I left the bog yesterday.

Being a Mayo fan is a bit like supporting Blues. Lots of suffering with the occasional trophy to keep you going through the lean years.
Triplet, isn’t it mayo that has the curse on them, told by some old lady they would never win another trophy while any of the last cup winning side was alive?
Kro
20:41, Tue 4 Feb
Baloo
I may be a rarity on here in that I'm not born in, nor have any family ties to Birmingham.
I was born and raised in Belfast, I consider myself both Irish and Northern Irish.
I've only recently moved to Birmingham before Christmas having spent the previous 12 months in Melbourne.

Welcome to Brum. I love Belfast.
21:25, Tue 4 Feb
DES
DES
triplet dad
Born in Brum to a mum from Mayo and a Geordie Dad (RIP). Lived in Sparkhill until we moved to Ireland when I was 7.

I only lived there for 12 years but it's indelibly stamped on me. I've been in Edinburgh now for 30 years and according to my Scottish wife and kids I still sound like I left the bog yesterday.

Being a Mayo fan is a bit like supporting Blues. Lots of suffering with the occasional trophy to keep you going through the lean years.
Triplet, isn’t it mayo that has the curse on them, told by some old lady they would never win another trophy while any of the last cup winning side was alive?
Kro

Yes, another similarity between the two teams. Supposedly the Mayo team passed a funeral without stopping to pay their respects and the priest cursed them that they would not win an All-Ireland final again until every member of that team was dead.

2 of the players are still alive and well so we may have a while to wait yet. Maybe the manager could do a Barry Fry and urinate in all corners of the ground and declare the curse to be over.
21:39, Tue 4 Feb
MSM
MSM
Mr Driscoll
Born in Brum but family and ancestors Irish, from Cork and Limerick.

See myself as Brummie Irish Brit, with all the contradictions that follow.

Would like to add Small Heath to that description, as that’s where I grew up, but was informed while drinking in the Emerald at the weekend, by one of the very few of my contemporaries who still lives there, that I’m merely a ‘tourist’ in that respect.

Very similar to you Mr Driscoll - except ancestors from Dublin. Grandad did serve a few years in the Irish Army and was stationed in Limerick for a time though.

They lived by St Andrews with my mom and her siblings and then moved towards the Yew Tree, he used to drink in the Emerald and later on around Hay Mills. He wasn’t really in to football but he had a soft spot for Blues

Grandparents Irish. They came here in 1935 and said 'we're English now'. Fair enough.
22:25, Tue 4 Feb
Thanks for the heads up. Well worth watching although I have my own reasons to not enjoy seeing Paddy Hill involved in such a good program
22:59, Tue 4 Feb
Casper
1 Banana
Casper, who was from Kilmovee?

Thanks for the heads up was a really good watch.
Pass on congrats to Angela. Great work!

My Grandad was born in Kilmovee. Moved over here, then moved back when my Mom was 6m old, so she lived in that little clapped out stone cottage until she was 6yrs, then they all moved back to Brum, where he lived ever since, working at Cadbury's from the 50's until the 80's. Kilmovee is close to all of our hearts.

Bernies Aunty Nora & Uncle Charlie owned the Four Ways pub in Kilmovee in the 70’s to late 90’s.
Her cousins are still there. The Rooney family.
DES
23:04, Tue 4 Feb
My Dad was in letterkenny one day, he saw a road show that said loads of war work available in Birmingham.
Two days later he got off train at new st, he said he had never seen a building so dirty!
But, from moment he landed he said he was treated great by all the brummies he met, think he actually ended up more brummie than Irish!
Kro
Casper
WorcsAzul
Be warned if you are eligible for an Irish passport get an application in soon if you want your passport before 2021. My son's application to register as a foreign birth (a pre-cursor to getting his passport) has just been approved....about 8 months after he applied. This means he can now finally apply for his passport.

Not unless Saul is 2nd Gen, and one/both of his parents was born in Ireland, in which case it really is a piece of piss to get your first Irish passport, with the new online portal. Took me about 2-3 weeks from applying online, uploading photo, getting form witnessed/signed by designated professional, sending application to Dublin, and the passport being returned.

Agree re our kids though, as there is that additional 'registering foreign births' process, which they say can take up to 9-12 months.

...unless your mom cant find her marriage certificate which entails daughter having to send off for a copy and, in the meantime, said daughter is due to go on holiday and British passport is about to expire. Grrr - I had no choice but to renew to be on the safe side. But, I have the paperwork now so may apply for the Irish passport anyway. 🙄
23:17, Tue 4 Feb
My son just received his 1st Irish passport based on his Grandparents being Irish born. Took around a year to process and flipping expensive!
23:22, Tue 4 Feb
Been there , done that, Mo. Chill. By the time you’re back- if not before, you’ll have a lovely passport with a harp on the front to complement whatever colour passport the British government is issuing these days.
Cowinbovril
23:25, Tue 4 Feb
DES
DES
My Dad was in letterkenny one day, he saw a road show that said loads of war work available in Birmingham.
Two days later he got off train at new st, he said he had never seen a building so dirty!
But, from moment he landed he said he was treated great by all the brummies he met, think he actually ended up more brummie than Irish!
Kro

Des, my dad came over when he was 8. The day he died he sounded more brummie than me, yet his sibling who died a few years earlier, sounded like they had lived in Dublin all their lives. It was weird
Mr Driscoll
Been there , done that, Mo. Chill. By the time you’re back- if not before, you’ll have a lovely passport with a harp on the front to complement whatever colour passport the British government is issuing these days.

This was last year - I haven't got around to sorting the Irish passport yet cos nephew is going through the Irish Citizen thing at the moment so borrowed moms marriage certificate that I'd sent off for. I think I need to gee him up! 😁
23:39, Tue 4 Feb
DES
Great county. Burren as well. Spectacular sights.
23:51, Tue 4 Feb
Thanks for highlighting.

The last 15 minutes perfectly described the way I have felt all my life. Both parents Irish, born in Birmingham. I have had an Irish passport for almost 40 years but have never felt quite at home as either English or Irish. I always describe myself as Birmingham Irish because that sums me up perfectly. I am proud of both.
seaside
Thanks for highlighting.

The last 15 minutes perfectly described the way I have felt all my life. Both parents Irish, born in Birmingham. I have had an Irish passport for almost 40 years but have never felt quite at home as either English or Irish. I always describe myself as Birmingham Irish because that sums me up perfectly. I am proud of both.

ditto
bham irish for me too. always had the passport and been following ireland (and blues) home and away for as long as i can remember. i tick the white irish box on forms.
bham is my city and/but i regard irish as my ldentity/nationality. 'brummie irish' covers it for me, even if some ireland born fans hear my accent and ask me at matches why i am supporting 'them'? :)