12:51, Fri 7 Feb
DES
DES
No one speaks like Carl chin, it’s totally false, and he is a viler, but he has been one of only who bogged up Brum!
Kro

This.

I was in the post office in Hall Green and Chinn was in front of me, he started to tell the young women behind the counter that it was his 30 - 40 th wedding anniversary that day and how he met his wife etc, you could tell the assistant thinking who is this guy and why is he boring me with his life story, in the end i had to do a polite cough to make him aware that people were standing to get served lol.

Totally false accent and worse a vile!!!!!
My father is a Glaswegian and said his father was born in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh but I am unable to trace him on the Northern Ireland Register.
He was married in Glasgow in 1896 ( my grandfather) and the marriage register gives him as 24 years of age but I am unable to trace anyone with his name in Scotland or Northern Ireland. Can anyone give any tips as if I can prove that he was born in Ireland ( including the North) then I think that I can apply for an Irish passport.
Alive: but not living.
13:33, Fri 7 Feb
SOBLUE
A lot of us on SHA are likely to have Irish ancestry. I saw a stat claiming that 1 in 6 of all Brummies born in the 60s had at least one parent who was born in Ireland.

For those who are interested in reading more about our Brummie Irish heritage, you might like to check out this book by Prof James Moran of The University of Nottingham. It was endorsed by Prof Carl Chinn, whose Mom was Irish, and who grew up in Keele Drive, Moseley. Sadly, Carl’s Father made him support the wrong Bham team, but I’ve never held that against him. [There, but for the grace of God, go I].

Irish Birmingham: A History - by James Moran

Angela's (my cousin who presented the TV programme this week) older brother.
the king loves me
Bordesley not Small Heath
B_C_F_C
Robert Hopkins
Its 100% fake, i won't say they were posh but he grew up in Hall Green and you don't get that accent in Hall Green - my dad knew the family back in the day. I have the Rover book he wrote 'We ain't going away' got him to sign it 'Up the blues'

Yep fake accent and fake dialogue.

Born in Sorrento Hospital Moseley, lived in Hall Green area and went to Moseley Grammar School - 4 years below me.

No one living in that area or attending Moseley Grammar in the 60s talked or talks like he does.

Agree,
If he did live in Keele drive then thats a lovely cul de sac with detatched houses, off leafy Green rd by the ford and sarehole mill park
Lovely stretch of rd that is between wk grn rd and the river. That accent is more inner city 'back to back' houses

I don’t like the use of the word ‘fake’ with Carl Chinn, particularly as he’s a very warm and genuine person. Although he grew up in a middle-class area, both of his parents were from inner city Bham, and that would have influenced their accents and also Carl’s.
It’s true that Carl’s accent was nowhere near as strong in his childhood but, as he became more and more immersed in local history (academically & in the media), his accent evolved. That was down to his love for Bham and his passion for keeping going the traditional Brummie accent; words & phrases. So it’s really a caricature, and more reflective of how Brummies spoke 2 or 3 generations ago.
Whenever I’ve met him in adulthood, he’s always spoken the same as you’ve heard him in the media. So it is neither fake nor disingenuous in my mind, but I can understand why some might think otherwise.,

Interestingly, Jasper Carrot is also an old Moseleian, and similarly known for his strong Brummie accent. In his case, that is purely a stage persona - which he also tends to use in the media - particularly when interviewed about Blues. Whenever I’ve spoken to him in real life, his accent is nothing like that. Much more of a middle class accent. So you can argue that Jasper’s stage accent is fake, and I’m sure he would agree. Nothing wrong with that, imo.
spionkop
My father is a Glaswegian and said his father was born in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh but I am unable to trace him on the Northern Ireland Register.
He was married in Glasgow in 1896 ( my grandfather) and the marriage register gives him as 24 years of age but I am unable to trace anyone with his name in Scotland or Northern Ireland. Can anyone give any tips as if I can prove that he was born in Ireland ( including the North) then I think that I can apply for an Irish passport.

ROI and NI didn't exist then so the 'north' bit is not a factor, it was all just Ireland.

I would start by contacting the Enniskillen births\deaths\marriage place and take it from there. They should have record of his birth cert.
Suspect you'd have to pay for it

have a nose on the UK Census websites too, see if he's registered ( UK was 'GB and Ireland' then )
18:32, Fri 7 Feb
There’s something that I feel I have to tell you.. In some ways I feel I’ve been living a lie and I must unburden myself.

I could never have done this without the help of my partner and family who have given me the strength to come out..

I’m not Irish.

Yes I was in the troops out movement and I’ve supported the call for a united Ireland but I wasn’t Irish and never have been..

Yes, you can accuse me of weakness – why didn’t I stand up, say it loud and proud – I’m not Irish.

What can I say. I just wanted to appear normal. I just wanted to be Irish like everyone else in Birmingham.
DES
20:00, Fri 7 Feb
Micky Darrell
There’s something that I feel I have to tell you.. In some ways I feel I’ve been living a lie and I must unburden myself.

I could never have done this without the help of my partner and family who have given me the strength to come out..

I’m not Irish.

Yes I was in the troops out movement and I’ve supported the call for a united Ireland but I wasn’t Irish and never have been..

Yes, you can accuse me of weakness – why didn’t I stand up, say it loud and proud – I’m not Irish.

What can I say. I just wanted to appear normal. I just wanted to be Irish like everyone else in Birmingham.
Mick, you are a hero, can’t imagine how you must have felt living with this secret for all those years!
I’m proud of you!

Kro
20:48, Fri 7 Feb
Dualism identity - Its pretty common in Brum. I see myself as English and have followed the 3 lions abroad aswell as being a Blues season ticket holder since 1979. The ol man took me down Stans and he settled in Northfield. My best mate sees himself as Irish and follows the boys in green yet he sometimes says I’m more Irish than him! I’m proud of my Irish family and heritage and love it over there when I go. I enjoy the ol stories and the craic. But I’m a Brummie first and foremost.
DES
15:14, Sat 8 Feb
I think I always rebelled about the plastic paddy tag, I was desperate to be a Brummie first and foremost, I still am to be fair, but love the Oirishness as well!

Kro
16:15, Sat 8 Feb
DES
DES
Micky Darrell

I’m not Irish.
Mick, you are a hero, can’t imagine how you must have felt living with this secret for all those years!
I’m proud of you!

Kro

What must his husband be going through now, knowing all those trips to Ireland ("home") were a lie? 😂
00:31, Sun 9 Feb
DES
DES
I think I always rebelled about the plastic paddy tag, I was desperate to be a Brummie first and foremost, I still am to be fair, but love the Oirishness as well!

Kro

One of the advantages of being an Irish Brummie is that England v Ireland encounters are relatively relaxed for me. I want England to win, as I was born here, but it’s no big deal if Ireland win. I felt similarly in the Cov encounters, as I also have strong Coventry connections. I have no such connections with the North side of our City, which has always fuelled my strong competitive instinct. Instilled in me by my Irish blood.
DES
14:24, Sun 9 Feb
I’m just the opposite so blue! I get stressed out watching us play Ireland in the six nations, always think its me against all my Irish relations, and I’m desperate that they won’t get one over us.
Next week when Ireland play wales I’m Oirish as they come!

Kro
20:25, Wed 12 Feb
DES
Just a reminder for anyone like me who missed this show first time round its on BBC 4 tonight at 9 oclock
22:02, Wed 12 Feb
Bloody hell.....commandos at The Mermaid. The original zero hours contracts