Loved it, spent 14 years there and two of my 3 kids were born there. One of the few cities in the UK where you don't need a car to get into work, which means there's an excellent after-work social life in many of the cracking pubs in the city. Lived in Tooting Bec, Balham, Clapham, East Dulwich all fantastic. When you realise that walking in the City Centre is far preferable to getting the tube you will really start to enjoy it.

Downside obviously is house-costs. Great place to be if you're single or a couple. It does seem to be the norm to start your career there, meet your life-partner, have a couple of kids then get the hell out, which is what we did back in 2003. The minute your kids are old enough to go to School, unless you have considerable wealth (or family network) it's time to sell up and move on.
Yep, lived here since uni. Started in Greenwich, moved to blackheath and now settled in north sheen by Richmond. Married an Essex bird and now have two kids. She tried to get me to move to Essex but her village literally look like a load of extras from towie.

This is where we will stay now I think. Kids are in school and I couldn’t get. Job anywhere else in the UK so sort of stuck
15:54, Fri 14 Feb
Was asked to relocate to our London office in 2003 when they decided to shut the Birmingham one, when I looked at the package they were offering and where I could afford that was commutable we ended up looking round Bicester.

It took me about 10 minutes to realise this would've been a bad decision for my family so I said no.

They ended up asking me to relocate to an alternative office in the East of England and we never really looked back.
My daughter lives in Beckenham, south London, it has a small town feel to it, then just about 20 mins to Victoria or London Bridge. She works in finance in the city so her and my son in law are on a decent wedge.

I love visiting my, just loads to do and superb choice of restaurants and very decent boozers, my son is settled in Sheffield but if he ever moved there I would join them in a shot!
16:12, Fri 14 Feb
Just started my 3rd year in Welwyn GC - London was too costly.

Hate it - hate the sunday night pack my stuff and drive down there, hate the ignorant gits who work for me, hate the driving around and don't start me on the pubs and Arsenal / Tottenham love in.

Just been offered a job in Worcester, now one in Hull has come up that's far more interesting so will probably end up pissing the missus off and having another 2 or 3 years living a way in the week instead of the 25 minute drive to Worcester.
16:30, Fri 14 Feb
I lasted just a month there when I 19/20 (circa 1990ish), got moved there by the property letting firm in brum I was working for, loved it to start with but kept getting insect bites - turns out the company flat was flea infested then I got assaulted pretty bad in a nightclub just at the back of leicester square, came back to brum to convalesce and never returned
the other overiding memory was of turning up for a staff meeting we having one evening in a bar, the manager was supposed to be buying the drinks, I was skint so I was sat there and this guy asked me why I wasnt drinking, once he found out he whipped out his wallet and offered me a tenner, obviously I was suspicious to his intentions but he just said "take it and if you ever find someone else in a tight spot do the same that all I ask" he then moved to another part of the bar. I think I have repaid that tenner back a few times since, I felt bad for being suspicious after but it left its mark on me.
16:40, Fri 14 Feb
I've lived here just shy of 20 years and still love it. Any interest you have - however niche - you can find somewhere to service it. Great pubs, superb restaurants, best choice of film and live music. I still love Brum, but I can't imagine living anywhere else but here until I'm a pensioner.

EDIT - Decent story

First place I lived was on the Kilburn High Road. I was sat in a pub called McGoverns, when a bloke took a call on his mobile. He was silent throughout the phonecall. He then chucked the phone on the floor- smashing it, before smashing his pint on the floor.

He then stormed outof the pub and went directly across to his flat over the road, slamming the door of the building five or six times,in total rage.

What then followed is something I thought only happened in films.

He proceeded to march up his stairs and through a CLOSED WINDOW throw EVERY SINGLE ITEM in his flat onto the street below - telly,stereo, chairs, clothes,plates, cutlery - just EVERYTHING.

I just gazed in wonder and thought...."I love it here".

One evening two weeks later, sat in my flat, which had the roof of a smaller building in front of the lounge, I hear a massive crash from outside the window.

As I open the curtain, a man lurches up to my window. He had been tied to a chair with white electric flex and was naked from the waist DOWN. After a swift and frantically-mimed refusal to what seemed a request to let him in, he untangled himself and leapt from the roof with an unabashed howl.

The following morning, I surveyed the scene. Chair and flex still present, but one item I hadn't noticed due to the dim light. A large, broken pink vibrator.

I never really got any of this at my Mom's in Bournville.
16:50, Fri 14 Feb
bluefrank
I've lived here just shy of 20 years and still love it. Any interest you have - however niche - you can find somewhere to service it. Great pubs, superb restaurants, best choice of film and live music. I still love Brum, but I can't imagine living anywhere else but here until I'm a pensioner.

Ditto.

Been in West London for most of the last 30 years (the last 17 in Shepherds Bush which I love).

Met a girl who grew up in Shoreditch when it was a proper shithole, had 3 kids here & proer entrenched now.

Samuel Johnson was right.
17:16, Fri 14 Feb
It is the best city in the world.

If you get the chance to move there then do not think twice about it.

I have recently moved back after great 5 years.

I lived in Islington & Dalston & Clapton. There are 50 other areas I would live down there (north, east south or west).

You get used to the pace within a couple of weeks and can spot the weekend tourists dawdling.

It doesn't sleep, it can be the weekend 7 nights a week if you want it to be.

Everybody is in the same boat as you down there, there are so few who are born locally therefore everyone is out after work mixing.

All the fittest girls in the country / world migrate there, it is ridiculous.

There is a free gig on every week by a known band if you want it.

You'll become friends with people from all over the globe.

I played football 2/3 times a week with Brummie expats and others from around the country/world.

It is fast paced, it is beautiful, it can be grim, it is amazing fun, it can be tough.

The expense is a killer but you know that. The city is full of free attractions. It can be a cheap as you make it though high rent is unavoidable.

It has everything. Best restaurants, bars, music, girls.

It's only 1.25r away from the Blues and your family on a train.

The world is a big place and I do find it mad that many many people are born and don't move more than a few miles there whole life.

Do it.
MSM
17:22, Fri 14 Feb
Worked there for a while, still so time to time, haven’t been this year yet. Has good and bad points like anywhere, but can see how it would wear you down after a while. Would entertain living there if it was more affordable.

Never minded the tube either. Better than fecking WMR
topofsnowhill.wordpress.com
17:22, Fri 14 Feb
I am sure it's a great place if you live there (not that I have). If you don't, you think it's crap. That's what I don't like about it - the feeling you have to love it. I'd resent having to be there and becoming part of the band of people who are up their own arses.
MSM
17:26, Fri 14 Feb
I’ve had some top nights out in London. I worked near Liverpool Street and any time you fancied a beer after work or had a do on, the pubs and bars were electric, any night of the week
topofsnowhill.wordpress.com
17:45, Fri 14 Feb
MSM
Best thread of the year, this
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
First post on here, but had to join to add to the London stories...

Moved to London many years ago, mainly for work. But when I had kids - twin boys - I was very worried that they'd either grow up supporting the Arsenal (we live near the ground and all the locals support them) or Chelsea, who are the team of the other half of the family.

Then I took the kids to their first Blues match, which was at St Andrews v Burnley on the final day of the 2010 season. They were then nine years' old. Of course, I'd never sworn in front of the boys; swearing was naughty and they mustn't do it. Then the crowd burst into a rousing chorus of 'SOTV'. One of the boys turned to me, his face lit up with delight. My worries were over. Instant conversion. Now they follow the Blues up and down the country, even travelling from London to Newcastle when we got stuffed three or four years back
19:18, Fri 14 Feb
Stokey Blues
First post on here, but had to join to add to the London stories...

Moved to London many years ago, mainly for work. But when I had kids - twin boys - I was very worried that they'd either grow up supporting the Arsenal (we live near the ground and all the locals support them) or Chelsea, who are the team of the other half of the family.

Then I took the kids to their first Blues match, which was at St Andrews v Burnley on the final day of the 2010 season. They were then nine years' old. Of course, I'd never sworn in front of the boys; swearing was naughty and they mustn't do it. Then the crowd burst into a rousing chorus of 'SOTV'. One of the boys turned to me, his face lit up with delight. My worries were over. Instant conversion. Now they follow the Blues up and down the country, even travelling from London to Newcastle when we got stuffed three or four years back

My kids first learned of the existence of the word 'paedo' after a trip to the footie.

'Dad. What's a PEEDOH?'