13:34, Sat 15 Feb
Echo every word of what you wrote.

True of other things besides London, too.
DES
13:36, Sat 15 Feb
johnnyspex
Yeah lived there for about 10 years. Wanstead & then Highgate. Loved the place.

When a man is tired of London he’s tired of life.
I always use that quote, once when I was daydreaming I found a mews house on line which I felt was in perfect location, it was tiny but opposite Harrodds, price was twelve times my house in Brum!
That was a few yrs back probably twenty times now!
Kro
13:37, Sat 15 Feb
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
What I’ve noticed over the years is that if people come to London and embrace it, then they tend to enjoy it a great deal.

If people come to London and complain about everything then they don’t. And this thread echoes that a bit. Had to laugh at someone saying there were “too many foreigners”. London attracts the world’s very brightest and best and its diversity is its essence and strength.

This. Squared.

The diversity is a massive plus point of London.

If people dislike it, then London's probably not for them.
13:38, Sat 15 Feb
fradge
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
What I’ve noticed over the years is that if people come to London and embrace it, then they tend to enjoy it a great deal.

If people come to London and complain about everything then they don’t. And this thread echoes that a bit. Had to laugh at someone saying there were “too many foreigners”. London attracts the world’s very brightest and best and its diversity is its essence and strength.

This. Squared.

The diversity is a massive plus point of London.

If people dislike it, then London's probably not for them.

Ditto Birmingham by the way.
13:43, Sat 15 Feb
People’s definition of London differs drastically.

To a lot of my colleagues and friends, London ends at about Zone 2/3. (Yes, I know it’s ridiculous)

You do need a sizeable income to enjoy life here - but it’s cheap as chips compared to New York, which blows my mind every time.
22:20, Sat 15 Feb
It’s the best place i’ve lived in by some distance and as much as I would like to come back to the west mids, I also get bored quite easily.

The rent is ridiculously high but it’s counter balanced by the cost of food shop that’s relatively cheap if you know what you’re doing.

Living in hackney you tend to never come out of the borough as it has everything you could possibly want. However I have to say south ldn has really surprised me. Clapham, Wandsworth, Balham, Brixton....All excellent areas for a night out.

At my age I like going to mature events and ldn has just opened up a few Boisdale bars / restaurants around ldn with a section for live performances. A Jazz cafe type of place if you like. A perfect evening out imo.
23:24, Sat 15 Feb
Not many English people frankly. International city and all the better for it. Lived just outside, easy commutes in on train for years. Best of both worlds, close enough, far enough away. Loads to do, best city in world for live music, venues cooing but others opening up. Love it.
23:32, Sat 15 Feb
It's a shit hole
06:28, Sun 16 Feb
Lol. Where do you live?
Lived there for 6 years (Wembley, Harrow, Blackheath, Putney) before moving out to a commuter town just outside London (but still only 25 minutes to get in by train) ahead of starting a family.

Greatest city in the world in my opinion - lots of things to do and see for all range of tastes and interests, loads of interesting pubs, venues, theatres, restaurants etc - but as some have said you need to embrace it to get the most out of it. Even after 40 years down here I’m still finding interesting parts of the city I’ve never explored before.

Personally I always preferred living North of the river - easy access to the tube makes it much easier to get around. It is expensive but if you’re a singleton/couple it’s a fun thing to do for a while
07:44, Sun 16 Feb
howard road
Not many English people frankly. International city and all the better for it. Lived just outside, easy commutes in on train for years. Best of both worlds, close enough, far enough away. Loads to do, best city in world for live music, venues cooing but others opening up. Love it.

Not true it’s full of English people ffs. Stop perpetuating a lie.
Lived in various parts for three years in my 30s. Wonderful city. Still love going back with the kids
Sonic Youth fan. MBV. If you like feedback that much get a job at the council.
08:23, Sun 16 Feb
I think London is a fantastic city - I agree that it’s amongst the world’s best - but I have absolutely no desire to live there.

I’ve lived in 3 cities- Birmingham, Cardiff and Daegu; each of these is (obviously) very different to London, mostly as they’re ‘smaller’ both in size and in the general vibe.

That said, given that I have never lived in London - and probably never will - I’ll never know if I’d like it or not!
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
09:03, Sun 16 Feb
Clapton
howard road

At the last census in 2011 around 37% of London’s population was born outside the U.K. Some recent data I’ve seen indicates that this has stayed pretty constant since the last census. So yes, the notion of ‘not many English people’ is an execrable argument given that whatever measure you use, there are at least 5 million ‘English people’ in London.
10:24, Sun 16 Feb
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
Clapton
howard road

At the last census in 2011 around 37% of London’s population was born outside the U.K. Some recent data I’ve seen indicates that this has stayed pretty constant since the last census. So yes, the notion of ‘not many English people’ is an execrable argument given that whatever measure you use, there are at least 5 million ‘English people’ in London.

If he had said not many Londoners I might have agreed.