08:38, Tue 18 Feb
Chris
I love it - best city in the world.

I've been thinking about this and I think it's probably second behind Berlin.

Now *that* is a proper city.
DES
08:43, Tue 18 Feb
Berlin is great, but London better, in fact best. In fact if you travel anywhere with an open mind and the disposition to enjoy yourself, then most capital cities have something to offer.

Kro
08:46, Tue 18 Feb
Roland_Weary
The Tube is so often cited as the worst reason to live in London. But, as per my previous post, I rarely use it.

A tourist’s view of London versus reality is so different.

Depends on where you live. I lived in Walthamstow for 12 years and used the tube almost every day. Can't walk into London from there and feck cycling - far too dangerous. The tube is great but the crowds are insane during rush hour. That they close stations to regulate the numbers tells you London has a capacity problem.
08:52, Tue 18 Feb
DES
For me the greatest city is Toronto. It has everything London does but on a far more manageable scale. There are simply too many people in London - at times it feels like it's bursting. The Canadians are also a great bunch. I'd move to Toronto in a second if I could.
DES
09:03, Tue 18 Feb
bluer than blues
For me the greatest city is Toronto. It has everything London does but on a far more manageable scale. There are simply too many people in London - at times it feels like it's bursting. The Canadians are also a great bunch. I'd move to Toronto in a second if I could.
Never understand this type of comment, if you like it why not go?

Kro
09:14, Tue 18 Feb
bluer than blues
Roland_Weary
The Tube is so often cited as the worst reason to live in London. But, as per my previous post, I rarely use it.

A tourist’s view of London versus reality is so different.

Depends on where you live. I lived in Walthamstow for 12 years and used the tube almost every day. Can't walk into London from there and feck cycling - far too dangerous. The tube is great but the crowds are insane during rush hour. That they close stations to regulate the numbers tells you London has a capacity problem.

It does depend in where you live, as I said. I’m in Farringdon and rarely use the tube.
09:26, Tue 18 Feb
bluer than blues

All being well I'll be moving there in the summer, apart from giving up my ST after 25 years, very excited
10:00, Tue 18 Feb
DES

Kro

Visa restrictions
Job hunting difficulties
Settled family
Dependants in the family
Cost
Housing issues abroad
Rent/mortgage issues abroad
Lack of time
Illness
Distance

Take your pick.
10:02, Tue 18 Feb
Toronto is a fantastic place.

Canada is my number 1 place I'd move to if I got the opportunity. Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto (in that order).

My profession is in the list of shortages so I would have a chance of doing it. I would need a decent wedge of fu ds behind me though.
10:33, Tue 18 Feb
Tandy
Toronto is a fantastic place.

Canada is my number 1 place I'd move to if I got the opportunity. Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto (in that order).

My profession is in the list of shortages so I would have a chance of doing it. I would need a decent wedge of fu ds behind me though.

Got to agree that Toronto is ace.

Difficult to argue what is the best city in the world without knowing the criteria, but I know my favourites are HK and Taipei
10:41, Tue 18 Feb
The best city I've been to, all things considered, is probably Tokyo.

Other Japanese places are probably nicer looking however. Hiroshima is a beautiful city, as is Kyoto.
DES
11:01, Tue 18 Feb
Tandy

Kro

Visa restrictions
Job hunting difficulties
Settled family
Dependants in the family
Cost
Housing issues abroad
Rent/mortgage issues abroad
Lack of time
Illness
Distance

Take your pick.

That's just a list of excuses, all can be overcome if there is a will.
11:02, Tue 18 Feb
Tandy
The best city I've been to, all things considered, is probably Tokyo.

Other Japanese places are probably nicer looking however. Hiroshima is a beautiful city, as is Kyoto.

Osaka was my favourite

Tokyo too big

want to go back and visit the south
11:04, Tue 18 Feb
DES
I'm not sure visa restriction is an "excuse".
DES
11:14, Tue 18 Feb
Tandy
I'm not sure visa restriction is an "excuse".

its just something that you need to work on if you are really keen to go there, I knew a guy who went with his family three years back, he was a construction worker, not a nuclear scientist.

KRO