09:01, Wed 25 Mar
Am i the only one who isn't bothered abou the home schooling bit? Lots of parents on facebook proudly saying they've done this and that and that like they are super parents. When they go back to schook the teachers won't care what they've done and will reset and i bet the super parents get pretty bored within a few days.

I'm taking the approach with the 12 year old of teaching him life skills and with the 2 1/2 year old playing hide and seek (even though she cheats real badly).

Who are the super parents and who are the super bad parents like me and what have you got the children doing?
09:04, Wed 25 Mar
Imagine having kids and being partly responsible for their upbringing?!

My Facebook feed is full of people circlejerking over themselves having to actually teach their kid some stuff.
09:06, Wed 25 Mar
Just treating it like a normal school holiday so far. Keeping everything as normal for them.

Not too fussed about going out just yet either too much, luckily good weather and a back garden = mini park
09:06, Wed 25 Mar
Just let em enjoy themselves.

Remember the 3 day week and power cuts? Of course you don't......was great fun...….anarchy
09:10, Wed 25 Mar
Fat Buddha

Remember the 3 day week and power cuts? Of course you don't......was great fun...….anarchy

Yeah, great fun that was... it led to Thatcherism.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
09:24, Wed 25 Mar
Fat Buddha

Yeah, great fun that was... it led to Thatcherism.

Have a day off
09:31, Wed 25 Mar
Just treating it like a normal school holiday so far. Keeping everything as normal for them.

Not too fussed about going out just yet either too much, luckily good weather and a back garden = mini park

I think it might effectively become that. The summer holidays early

As for teaching kids. (OT)

Teach them to cook (budgeting if old enough). They might enjoy it, and it will serve them well for a lifetime

I feel for those without gardens though. Ouch
@Bluewurst1875
09:34, Wed 25 Mar
I feel for those without gardens though

I think that's why they've kept the parks open.

It comes across as mixed messaging, but the intentions are genuine.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
09:54, Wed 25 Mar
I have a 10 and 13 year old - Both have been set homework by school and the plan and so far is working is this -

Get up after a long lie in
Do set homework which they can do online
Have some fun time whether that is playstation / chatting on phone
Do some work around the house - At the moment this is them sorting out all their old toys clothes etc
Learn a new skill - 13 year old - How to cook, 10 year old play the sax

Minimal interaction from us as parents - We are both continuing to work and we just make sure they are keeping to the schedule and eating and drinking

I am taking the view they will be off till September and I know how badly they regress during the six week holiday so after 5 months they will go back to school like fat lazy cabbages if they don't have some form of intellectual stimulus and structure for the most part.
SHA's Resident Estate Agent
09:55, Wed 25 Mar
having a teacher for a wife helps. she's got a tuck shop set up with snacks all at different prices and they get £1 a day to spend and have to work out the change etc. unhealthy stuff is expensive and healthy stuff is cheap.
They do PE every morning with Joe Wicks on youtube and they have one maths task, one english task and one art task per day. they can play in the garden as much as they like but get no TV until after 3pm.
the hardest bit is having the 2 girls together all day as the eldest genrally wants time away from the youngest who just wants to follow her big sister around all day.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
10:48, Wed 25 Mar
Are any of the schools doing “virtual lessons” do you know?

A selected teacher connecting with pupils via mass social media channels?

I have a friend doing it elsewhere, the kids love it
@Bluewurst1875
10:52, Wed 25 Mar
We've had a couple of hours of school, then gardening or cooking. Life stuff. Then playstation/computer for an hour or so, then chores, then a board game or a family movie. I'm working from home, the wife is going back as a key worker after easter if they need her.

We've been in lockdown since thursday last week, the kids are just driving each other mad. We've set up three chairs, one by the back door, one by the front door and one on the landing for putting them in 'isolation isolation' when they start bickering or being horrible to each other. 15 minute's per transgression. They've all had at least one so far.

It's gonna be a long few weeks.
John_Smullen
Birmingham are 7 points clear of the relegation zone and people say we are doomed. vile are in the relegation zone and people say they are safe, this place is an utter drama queen area
10:55, Wed 25 Mar
I think a bit of home schooling is giving parents and kids something to focus on instead of being bored. The parents that I know of doing it are also making plenty of time for fun things too.
11:13, Wed 25 Mar
Technically I've only got smallest still at school. They have set up some online lessons for them and he's been doing that, but I haven't been doing anything else with him. He's in year 7, its not that critical for him right now and he's a bright lad so unless he starts moaning or I get anything to say he's not doing what he's supposed to, I'm leaving him to it pretty much. We're both working from home but that's fine so far as none of the three of them get up before noon (or in the case of the eldest just back from Uni he is now fully nocturnal).
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
11:15, Wed 25 Mar
My little un is drowning in school work. Lessons everyday via google classrooms on her normal timetable, homework too.

Year 10 at KE Camp Hill so kinda understandable