12:01, Tue 12 May
The football pyramid is what makes football in this country great and unique.

People bemoan about the PL being an unbreakable ceiling but are willing to cut out half of the professional clubs some which have existed for longer than the club they support. Hypocrisy.
mad
12:17, Tue 12 May
I bet the players and the PFA agree with me and you Tandy rather than the other idea which would reduce the number of jobs in football for players and staff

Project Restart is a non-starter unless they put in place specific measures to protect the Pyramid

Football is not just about the Premier League and never should be used to "boost morale" no matter what the jumped up Argentinian generals say
God
21:01, Tue 12 May
Tandy
The football pyramid is what makes football in this country great and unique.

People bemoan about the PL being an unbreakable ceiling but are willing to cut out half of the professional clubs some which have existed for longer than the club they support. Hypocrisy.

The pyramid would still exist. Do you think every club in the pyramid is professional?

In fact it's the elongated lightning rod on the top that's the problem. The pyramid is largely fine.
Promoted again.
21:10, Tue 12 May
God
Every club in the top four divisions, a majority in the 5th, and some in the 6th tier are professional.

Forcing professionalism out of the game would make a large number of players give the game up, and force a good number of clubs out of business.
05:14, Wed 13 May
Tall
With the relaxation of the lockdown. Infection rates and deaths will go up in next 2-3. They will then have no option to cancel the season

Voiding the season and when to restart are two separate discussions. When to restart football is the prime concern at the moment and everyone agrees that it can only be when it is deemed safe to do so.

At the point of agreeing that it is safe, the decision as to whether the season should be voided becomes the issue, and I've said before that with the season being 75-80% complete the ramifications of voiding it would be enormous when considering that the many many millions of pounds that have been paid to players, clubs, subscription TV, bookies and a myriad of others would be for something that has been expunged from the record books. The lawyers would tie the game up in knots for years were this to happen

Simply

1) Wait until it's safe to play football again, initially behind closed doors

2) Play the outstanding fixtures to complete the season

3) Tailor next season based on the timescale of the above (if it has to be shortened then consider scrapping the League cup completely, scrapping the international breaks, play the FA cup in midweek only )

If clubs "opt out" because it suits them they should forfeit their remaining games, therefore have their season completed at where they stand at present and refund all prize money / TV fees they have received thus far. The game should rule the clubs, not vice versa.
God
11:28, Tue 19 May
Tandy
Every club in the top four divisions, a majority in the 5th, and some in the 6th tier are professional.

Forcing professionalism out of the game would make a large number of players give the game up, and force a good number of clubs out of business.

They would only go out of business if they couldn't sustain themselves. Its not up to those at the top to sustain them. Their product is not what the majority of people who have TV subscriptions are paying for.

We have far more professional teams than most countries.

Edit - also a lot of the teams in the 5th and 6th tiers have chosen to go pro. They obviously feel like they can sustain themselves.
Promoted again.
11:51, Tue 19 May
God
That’s not the point I’m trying to make.

You can’t force a pro club to turn part time. Which is what the original post I quoted was implying to.

Where have I said it’s up to the top clubs to support the bottom ones?
12:12, Tue 19 May
Totally agree with this.
God
12:33, Tue 19 May
Tandy
That’s not the point I’m trying to make.

You can’t force a pro club to turn part time. Which is what the original post I quoted was implying to.

Where have I said it’s up to the top clubs to support the bottom ones?

Nobody said they would be forced part-time. They said there was too many professional clubs and the ones at the top shouldn't have to pay for that. If clubs aren't sustainable then they should go semi pro. You took a snapshot of a post from a wider point.
Promoted again.
mad
12:46, Tue 19 May
God
Broadcast revenue should be used more sensibly to benefit the entire pyramid

The PFA and players ought to insist on this simple concept before cow towing to the Premier Leagues wishes for them to continue
God
12:51, Tue 19 May
mad
mad
Broadcast revenue should be used more sensibly to benefit the entire pyramid

The PFA and players ought to insist on this simple concept before cow towing to the Premier Leagues wishes for them to continue

Why should it? People pay that money to watch the top the league. Especially the international broadcasting money.

When you go to see a film, you don't expect actors who weren't in it to be paid for it.

Nobody is watching the National League on TV, they're as entitled to a share as I am.
Promoted again.
12:53, Tue 19 May
God
Yeah this.

It’s like when people moan that Man Utd always gets picked for the BBC game on FA Cup 3rd round game over something like Leeds vs Norwich, even though they’re fairly certain to be the biggest pull of the weekend.
mad
13:40, Tue 19 May
God
God
When you go to see a film, you don't expect actors who weren't in it to be paid for it.

Ah but that's exactly what DOES HAPPEN

There's a actor's guild that ensures that their profession is sustainable

A Premier League with a wishy washy EFL choc full of Chelsea and Man City reserves is unsustainable and not wanted

Proper governance and equitable distribution of the money football makes out of TV should happen
God
13:50, Tue 19 May
mad
mad
God

Ah but that's exactly what DOES HAPPEN

There's a actor's guild that ensures that their profession is sustainable

A Premier League with a wishy washy EFL choc full of Chelsea and Man City reserves is unsustainable and not wanted

Proper governance and equitable distribution of the money football makes out of TV should happen

Have you heard of the PFA?
Promoted again.
mad
14:03, Tue 19 May
God
Yes and they're the ones who can put a stop to the Premier League running away with all the money when football resumes

Or at least try to stop them

Players have a choice

They can either continue to prop up the Premier League model which will result in fewer of them being employed in future

Or they can tell the Prem to do one until such time as they guarantee that funds will be more equitably shared amongst the entire EFL and National Leagues better