12:11, Sun 28 Jun
A club bearing the name of the second largest city in the country doing next to naff all for most of its history and struggling to compete with tinpot clubs.
12:36, Sun 28 Jun
Players appealing for a throw in even though it's clear they touched the ball last.
12:39, Sun 28 Jun
Yeah that sort of cheating is accepted.
Refs accepting verbal abuse/swearing is another weird one to me
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
DES
12:41, Sun 28 Jun
Blues75
A club bearing the name of the second-largest city in the country doing next to naff all for most of its history and struggling to compete with tinpot clubs.

This has become a bigger cross to bear for me every year as I get older! Especially now I've coerced my sons and now Grandsons to the cause!
We are currently closer to being a third rate club than a first-rate one, and I suppose its the nine page spread about Liverpools 19th title win that has brought this on!
Surely in last 145 yrs it couldawouldshoulda been us!

KRO
12:54, Sun 28 Jun
They had England v Germany from 96 on the TV the other day and I watched about 20 minutes of it. I was amazed how much the game has regressed since then... It was weird watching players dribble around others without falling over and balls going out for throw-ins without both teams appealing for it. There were some strong tackles that cleanly won the ball - everyone would be screaming for a red card these days but they were deemed acceptable. The one time players got in the ref's face to argue with him, he took control and booked one of them.

Over the years, I've enjoyed watching football less and less but having watched some of that game, it really reminded me why.
13:10, Sun 28 Jun
I've got to disagree. The game has progressed along way since euro 96. I agree about the cheating. Unfortunately, it's as if it's just become a accepted part of the game now. But the game is quicker now. The players are technically better. The tactics have evolved.
13:14, Sun 28 Jun
Yeah I agree. I’ve watched a lot of the replays of old tournaments on ITV and BBC and football looked utter dogshit in the 90’s.

Slow players, carthorses and cloggers everywhere, heavy pitches, having to make heavy tackles because the defenders don’t have the skill to take in the forwards properly, etc, etc.
13:32, Sun 28 Jun
Players are definitely fitter these days due to improved sports science.

What doesn't make sense is why there has not been a commensurate improvement in skill levels and, in the case of many coaches, tactics.
13:39, Sun 28 Jun
why there has not been a commensurate improvement in skill levels and, in the case of many coaches, tactics.

Hasn’t there? I’d disagree massively.
13:45, Sun 28 Jun
Tandy
why there has not been a commensurate improvement in skill levels and, in the case of many coaches, tactics.

At Championship level there definitely has not been any improvement.

I am typing this whilst watching Bristol City v Sheff Wednesday.

Misplaced passes, poor finishing, players struggling to control the ball, defensive errors.

Absolutely no different to second tier football in the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's.
13:45, Sun 28 Jun
Players on the touchline applauding a teammate’s crossfield ball that’s just sailed ten yards over their head.
13:54, Sun 28 Jun
Keepers who dive before someone actually takes a penalty.
She's playing with fire, he''s not ready for nibbly pig...
13:58, Sun 28 Jun
Tandy

At Championship level there definitely has not been any improvement.

I am typing this whilst watching Bristol City v Sheff Wednesday.

Misplaced passes, poor finishing, players struggling to control the ball, defensive errors.

Absolutely no different to second tier football in the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's.

I was more comparing top level football like the Euros and World Cup replays they’ve been showing.

I was only born in the 90’s so can’t really talk about 2nd division football as I’m not old enough to remember it properly bar the odd game fogged in my memory, but I’m not in any doubt that what you’ve said is mostly true.

I’d stall argue the top 3-5 championship teams nowadays are better than teams in the same positions 20-30 years ago.
14:04, Sun 28 Jun
There are players ala Sam Shilton who played half a dozen top flight football matches in the 90s, who would struggle to make the squad of a bottom half league one side today.
She's playing with fire, he''s not ready for nibbly pig...
God
14:10, Sun 28 Jun
Dirty Bertie
Players are definitely fitter these days due to improved sports science.

What doesn't make sense is why there has not been a commensurate improvement in skill levels and, in the case of many coaches, tactics.

That's absolute nonsense. The technical ability levels in this country at all professional tiers has improved by leaps and bounds since the 90s.
Promoted again.