14:19, Sun 28 Jun
No improvement?
Do you not remember how poor the Blues s team tbat stayed up in 87 and 88 was?

The big difference is in the 1980s the First Division took the best players in Britain and Ireland.
In the 1990s the Premier League took the best players in Europe.
In the 2000s this switched to the best players from around the world.

This has meant a massive influx of good players to the second tier.
If you went back 30 years with today's team they'd be competing right at the top, not lower mid-table in the Championship.

We've moved from Langley, Bell and Aylott to Bellingham, Gardner and Hogan.
If you don't think that is an improvement then either you are Gordon Strachan or you never saw Dougie Bell play for Blues.
14:20, Sun 28 Jun
God
God
Dirty Bertie
Players are definitely fitter these days due to improved sports science.

What doesn't make sense is why there has not been a commensurate improvement in skill levels and, in the case of many coaches, tactics.

That's absolute nonsense. The technical ability levels in this country at all professional tiers has improved by leaps and bounds since the 90s.

I assume you are joking as there is absolutely no evidence to support such an outrageous claim.

Despite better pitches, more protection from the Laws of the game skill levels have remained static.
14:26, Sun 28 Jun
This is utter twaddle. There's about 3-4 variations on freekicks that have literally been invented since then. It was Ronaldo who adapted "the knuckleball" to football and De Bruyne's free kick this week was another development of that. Which club in the PL do you think England international Carlton Palmer would be playing for today?
She's playing with fire, he''s not ready for nibbly pig...
14:26, Sun 28 Jun
Sheep2
No improvement?
Do you not remember how poor the Blues s team tbat stayed up in 87 and 88 was?

The big difference is in the 1980s the First Division took the best players in Britain and Ireland.
In the 1990s the Premier League took the best players in Europe.
In the 2000s this switched to the best players from around the world.

This has meant a massive influx of good players to the second tier.
If you went back 30 years with today's team they'd be competing right at the top, not lower mid-table in the Championship.

We've moved from Langley, Bell and Aylott to Bellingham, Gardner and Hogan.
If you don't think that is an improvement then either you are Gordon Strachan or you never saw Dougie Bell play for Blues.

I am neither of the above just someone who, being a Blues supporter, has had to watch a lot of second tier football.

If you wish to indulge in selective comparisons how about the 1972 promotion team compared with the 2002 team.
14:32, Sun 28 Jun
SteveCherry
This is utter twaddle. There's about 3-4 variations on freekicks that have literally been invented since then. It was Ronaldo who adapted "the knuckleball" to football and De Bruyne's free kick this week was another development of that. Which club in the PL do you think England international Carlton Palmer would be playing for today?

I am talking about second tier football and as for Carlton Palmer he would still get a game in the PL.

He would just have to change his name to something foreign sounding.

Of course the top clubs have attracted some of the best players in the world but a lot of those players at lower half sides are distinctly average at best.
14:41, Sun 28 Jun
Thirty years ago Scott Hogan would be plying his trade at upper mid table PL club and Mitrovich would be playing for a big team.
She's playing with fire, he''s not ready for nibbly pig...
15:03, Sun 28 Jun
Not in my book.

Neither of them. The top 5 30 years ago wouldn't give Mitrovic a game and Hogan would have been very lucky to get in any Division 1 team.
15:10, Sun 28 Jun
SteveCherry
Probably Spurs if Eric Dier can
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
15:17, Sun 28 Jun
God
Sure, the technical level has come on in leaps and bounds, but for me, the ability of a centre back to pass a square ball to his mate across the field by the centre circle, to then receive it back again 5 seconds later, to then pass it to the full back who then caresses it back to the sweeper keeper.......and so on (wake me up when something happens)..... doesn't register as better football to me.

Back in the day one team pumped it forward, had a go on goal, and then the other team had a go in return. Of course these days it's all about keep ball

Talented centre backs and creative mids who can do something with such possession...that's fine.

Roberts to Colin, across to Harding, back to Roberts then a hoof upfield for a throw in... not so much.
16:08, Sun 28 Jun
Blues fans who defend average players for "giving it 100% every game" like that's the only prerequisite you need to play for us.
Dong Ren Out.
Lovren still being on Lpool`s books let alone pilcking up a PL winners medal.
God
16:21, Sun 28 Jun
yorksblue
Sure, the technical level has come on in leaps and bounds, but for me, the ability of a centre back to pass a square ball to his mate across the field by the centre circle, to then receive it back again 5 seconds later, to then pass it to the full back who then caresses it back to the sweeper keeper.......and so on (wake me up when something happens)..... doesn't register as better football to me.

Back in the day one team pumped it forward, had a go on goal, and then the other team had a go in return. Of course these days it's all about keep ball

Talented centre backs and creative mids who can do something with such possession...that's fine.

Roberts to Colin, across to Harding, back to Roberts then a hoof upfield for a throw in... not so much.

No the centre half used to pass it back to the keeper who used to pick it up. To think the quality hasn't gone up is crazy.
Promoted again.
God
16:22, Sun 28 Jun
Bordesley not Small Heath

Lovren > David May
Promoted again.
16:37, Sun 28 Jun
Dirty Bertie
I am neither of the above just someone who, being a Blues supporter, has had to watch a lot of second tier football.

If you wish to indulge in selective comparisons how about the 1972 promotion team compared with the 2002 team.

I loved that team from 1972! I used to go to matches wondering how many we were going to win by, never a defeat or draw.

On not making sense - yesterday's ref, there were 2 of theirs that committed similar fouls to Blues 3 players who were booked but he just had a word. EFL directive number 1, perhaps?

Or is it the efl just doesn't make sense?
DES
17:11, Sun 28 Jun
Bordesley not Small Heath

Lovren murdered Harry Kane when we played Croatia in last world cup! He only is poor in comparison to VVD!
Which brings to my hobby horse, how the Hell do Celtic spot so many good young players who they then sell on for loadsamoney!