DES
13:14, Thu 30 Jul
John O'The Tilton
I know what you mean about Bob Latchford, he was my favorite after Big Rodger.
Remember going to the Victoria Ground when we beat Stoke 2-1, Latchford scored from a cross from Bob Hatton (another great player). They'd had a bit of a fall out earlier in the week, and when Big Bob scored, they both ran to each other, shook hands and hugged, memories hey.

John, Sorry mate Robert Dennis Latchford is MY FAvourite & Im not prepared to share!!

KRO
13:19, Thu 30 Jul
Weird thing. We’ve had loads of good right backs (Scott Hiley and Paul Holmes had ability too in addition to all the others that have been praised here) but in the last 25 years I can’t think of a top quality left back.

Frain, Clapham, Grainger, Ridgewell, Murphy all had their moments but none are in the same class as their equivalents on the right. PS I always thought Stan Laziridis was better picking up the ball from deep and building speed and nowadays I suspect he’d be an attacking full back - largely played wing back for Australia too.
13:20, Thu 30 Jul
Simon Charlton
13:30, Thu 30 Jul
Scoobers
Simon Charlton

Another decent left back, as was Gary Cooper, but not in the class of Rowett, Carr, Kenna and (from what people say) Langan.
13:38, Thu 30 Jul
And I mean no offence by that...

If you had to choose, who would you say was a better full back out of Stephen Carr and David Langan?

I never saw the latter but someone I really respect thinks he's Blues most underrated ever player. True?

Not in any way to put down any of the other contenders ... but Langan was, for a spell, the best in the country

Jim Smith broke the club transfer record when we signed him for £350,000

I mean i loved Carr ... but Langan was different class ... and recognised as such by most journalists/others - so not sure why anyone would think he was under-rated
13:39, Thu 30 Jul
Charlton was as good as the Irish duo and better than Rowett who was lazy at right back at times and should have played centre half more IMO, chose the easier option.
mark dennis, pat van den hauwe and julian dicks were all very good left backs.

pat van den hauwe picked up 2 league winners medal at everton and could play anywhere in the back line.
"supporters should be patient a little while longer - sunshine days are just around the corner."
Ken Wheldon - March 18th 1988
the ferret

pat van den hauwe picked up 2 league winners medal at everton and could play anywhere in the back line.

Although none of them played in the last 25 years which was my point mate 😉
13:44, Thu 30 Jul
Scoobers
Charlton was as good as the Irish duo and better than Rowett who was lazy at right back at times and should have played centre half more IMO, chose the easier option.

I disagree with all of that but we’re all allowed an opinion...
13:45, Thu 30 Jul
the ferret

And all three could start a fight in an empty room.
She's playing with fire, he''s not ready for nibbly pig...
Holdsworth_MaraSonner

If you had to choose, who would you say was a better full back out of Stephen Carr and David Langan?

Out the two David Langan
In my lifetime Ray Martin
In Blues History Jeff Hall
Not my first memory by any means but this is the team I “made” my younger sister recall. She even named the team at a holiday camp talent evening! Now some sixty odd years on, sister who has no interest in Football can still name the players at the drop of a hat.

Herriot, Frazier, Martin, Wyle, Foster, Beard, Hockey, Jackson, Thompson, Vowden and Thwaites.

KRO
13:51, Thu 30 Jul
And I mean no offence by that...

I never saw the latter but someone I really respect thinks he's Blues most underrated ever player. True?

Not in any way to put down any of the other contenders ... but Langan was, for a spell, the best in the country

Jim Smith broke the club transfer record when we signed him for £350,000

I mean i loved Carr ... but Langan was different class ... and recognised as such by most journalists/others - so not sure why anyone would think he was under-rated

Couldn't find footage of him playing for Blues but this is him for Oxford when they beat Arsenal in the Cup

Great cross for goal at 5.05
Langan's Goal at 12.30

DES
13:59, Thu 30 Jul
Scoobers
Charlton?
Surely he was left back want he?