14:00, Thu 30 Jul
DES
Erm ... 😛
DES
Nightporter1
We have had some good full backs over the years, I used to like the one Fry bought from Southend I think,
he wasn't in the same league as some of our better fullbacks but I thought he was underrated, that underrated I cant
remember his name!
Gary Poole from Southend and Scot hokey ( cooper signing) Exeter, both decent!
God
This thread man. We have spent the last ten years talking about how the all conquering 70s team was so much better than anything we had 95 through 2012. Now we're saying the 80s teams were Galcticos too.
Promoted again.
DES
14:03, Thu 30 Jul
Scoobers
Erm ... 😛
Yes we played him at left back, then he went to Bolton who somehow converted him to centre back which was amazing cos only about 5’9
Kro
14:09, Thu 30 Jul
God
God
This thread man. We have spent the last ten years talking about how the all conquering 70s team was so much better than anything we had 95 through 2012. Now we're saying the 80s teams were Galcticos too.

To be fair, there's a world of difference between the Blues teams of 1980 and 1989! I can only think of Wolves who had a steeper decline.
14:10, Thu 30 Jul
I think it's really hard to judge players against those from other eras as the game has changed so much. That said, I remember Langan as a decent player, neat on the ball and strong in a tackle. Shame he had trouble with injuries.
14:12, Thu 30 Jul
DES
Linked Image
14:16, Thu 30 Jul
Couldn't find footage of him playing for Blues but this is him for Oxford when they beat Arsenal in the Cu

Here he is scoring at Spurs. Fast forward to 19 minutes.

And here he scores a penalty and sets up our second goal against Luton
God
14:18, Thu 30 Jul
West Brom's was steeper wasn't it? Didn't they come second or something around the turn of the 80s. I imagine we were 16th having won 28% of our games but were better than the team that finished 9th and had our longest unbeaten top flight run.

There is no way in a million years that Dave Langan was a better football player than Stephen Carr. You're all loopy.
Promoted again.
DES
14:20, Thu 30 Jul
God
God
No I’ve never subscribed to that view penguin team had best forwards, Bruce’s team played best footy, MCLEISH was simply the best!

If langan & Dennis were best two full backs in our history it’s strange that they spent all that time fighting relegation or being in Second tier!

Kro
14:29, Thu 30 Jul
Couldn't find footage of him playing for Blues but this is him for Oxford when they beat Arsenal in the Cu

Here he is scoring at Spurs. Fast forward to 19 minutes.

And here he scores a penalty and sets up our second goal against Luton

I remember my mate insisting (every week) that Jim Blythe was actually Willy Thorne having a weekend off
14:34, Thu 30 Jul
That Spurs games was weird**, it was when Saunders was going through his spell of cramming as many fullbacks into the side as possible.

Dennis and Langan, as well as Harford as I remember - had been out injured for ages. At Spurs Langan and Dennis played right and left midfield in front of two other fullbacks.

I'm pretty sure the week after that Spurs game was the 3-0 Christmas Turkey Stuffing of villa.

** I can't see YouTube links from here and am presuming that's the scoring at Spurs game you are talking about.
14:51, Thu 30 Jul
Spike
That Spurs games was weird**, it was when Saunders was going through his spell of cramming as many fullbacks into the side as possible.

Dennis and Langan, as well as Harford as I remember - had been out injured for ages. At Spurs Langan and Dennis played right and left midfield in front of two other fullbacks.

I'm pretty sure the week after that Spurs game was the 3-0 Christmas Turkey Stuffing of villa.

** I can't see YouTube links from here and am presuming that's the scoring at Spurs game you are talking about.

Yeah a late consolation goal after Handysides' shot was spilled.

I initially loaded the links from a laptop and they didn't display properly on here. I've since reloaded them from my phone and they seem fine now.
DES
15:09, Thu 30 Jul
God
God
West Brom's was steeper wasn't it? Didn't they come second or something around the turn of the 80s. I imagine we were 16th having won 28% of our games but were better than the team that finished 9th and had our longest unbeaten top flight run.

There is no way in a million years that Dave Langan was a better football player than Stephen Carr. You're all loopy.

You are dead right your Almightyship ( not quite sure how to address you)
Carr was THE BEST in my lifetime.
15:15, Thu 30 Jul
God
From someone who saw both, Langan was better. And its nothing to do with any type of nostalgia, he was just a better player. Not every single player before 2000 was shite you know.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.