08:36, Tue 15 Sep
I think we should be signing someone who is able to come in and score goals now and lead the line, but also has scope to develop and become even better and ultimately end up being someone who is too good for this league, it is a 3 year plan after all.

Not sure Hogan is that man, there’s not much of a ceiling there.

As an additional bonus option he’d be fine, but for the main marquee signing of the summer let’s aim higher, let’s be a bit more ambitious.

In summary, he’d be okay as an additional option on a free, but he should not be the main striker signing and we should be going for someone with a higher ceiling, there are loads of strikers out there.
Rasputin
LH_4
Some people talk as if there's a player out there who would get 17 goals in 17 games, just eagerly sitting by the phone, waiting for Blues to call him and get him on the cheap.

This is where we as a club. We need to take a gamble on players like Hogan, because the guaranteed goal-getters are worth a lot of money.

It does make me laugh sometimes, the unrealistic aspirations of football fans. 'Proven' championship strikers are going for £15m at the moment. Brentford have just spent the thick end of £10m on a league one striker. We simply don't have that money at present.

Teemu Pukki cost Norwich buttons when they signed him two years ago and scored nearly 30 goals. Ollie Watkins cost less than 2 million when Brentford signed him. There are bargains out there at the right age and cost.
I’ve made my views on signing Hogan abundantly clear and not going to get dragged into another debate.

However, the one thing that is always overlooked is that Hogan is quite injury prone. Therefore, I’d be concerned if he’s our only forward signing.
08:40, Tue 15 Sep
Pre-lockdown was all about his goals, he didn't do a lot else...which is great when the goals are going in but when they're not, people will question him. Until he starts to do more of the unselfish stuff, he will always be under scrutiny when the baron times come.
Rasputin
LH_4
Some people talk as if there's a player out there who would get 17 goals in 17 games, just eagerly sitting by the phone, waiting for Blues to call him and get him on the cheap.

This is where we as a club. We need to take a gamble on players like Hogan, because the guaranteed goal-getters are worth a lot of money.

Name 6

It does make me laugh sometimes, the unrealistic aspirations of football fans. 'Proven' championship strikers are going for £15m at the moment. Brentford have just spent the thick end of £10m on a league one striker. We simply don't have that money at present.

Teemu Pukki cost Norwich buttons when they signed him two years ago and scored nearly 30 goals. Ollie Watkins cost less than 2 million when Brentford signed him. There are bargains out there at the right age and cost.
I prefer to put more stock in Hogan's pre lockdown form than his post. I'd be very happy to have him back as our player.
Reason I say that is, as a striker, he more than anyone else in the side relies on his teammates to get the possession and create chances for him to convert.
Judging him playing in a side that was so utter dog shit is a bit harsh.
What I do know is when we were playing well and creating chances - he was converting them regularly.
Under a new manager and with better creative players, he'll score for us again.
I do agree a young and pacey forward is needed too, not too sure we have that type in house atm.
09:03, Tue 15 Sep
I hear what you say but I think Karanka will be firmly kicking Hogan’s arse. He won’t tolerate less than an enthusiastic work ethic.
In that respect I imagine that if we do sign him , there will have been some grown-up straight talking and assurances hopefully given.
We need the third striker , marquee or not , to provide the necessary healthy competition for first team spots.
Last season at times we had just Hogan and a semi fit Juke. Surely we are gonna address that issue but I can’t see us spending 6 or 7 million quid.
2 or 3 mill max is my gut feeling and maybe from elsewhere in Europe . We’ll see !
Every woman every man
Loves Karankaman, we're Blues
Stand up... stand up.... stand up
Everybody make a noise
We're the Brummie boys
Stand up, stand up .....
09:03, Tue 15 Sep
In January, when we had no money to spend and we were scrambling around for a cheap option to play alongside Juke in a direct 442 to edge us to safety the Hogan deal was a good one.

I was one of a handful on here who didn’t react hysterically with outrage and thought it was a decent signing.

But the aims have changed now haven’t they? We’re building a promotion team, we have greater financial flexibility, we should be aiming higher, someone who clearly gets in to the first 11
09:08, Tue 15 Sep
generalBlue
I hear what you say but I think Karanka will be firmly kicking Hogan’s arse. He won’t tolerate less than an enthusiastic work ethic.
In that respect I imagine that if we do sign him , there will have been some grown-up straight talking and assurances hopefully given.

Hopefully he teaches him how to run around like a headless chicken and slide tackle with #PASHUN
09:09, Tue 15 Sep
It's true that we have more flexibility, not sure how much more the owners are wanting to pump in?
Hogan is proven at this level, I'm all for us taking a gamble on an unknown forward as well, but even if you are aiming higher, it doesn't hurt to have a natural and experienced goal getter in the side.
Course with our lot you just don't know what they are going to do next.
09:13, Tue 15 Sep
Le Mod
In January, when we had no money to spend and we were scrambling around for a cheap option to play alongside Juke in a direct 442 to edge us to safety the Hogan deal was a good one.

I was one of a handful on here who didn’t react hysterically with outrage and thought it was a decent signing.

But the aims have changed now haven’t they? We’re building a promotion team, we have greater financial flexibility, we should be aiming higher.

But that's the thing: we building a team for the medium to long term, it can't all necessarily happen overnight. Bring Hogan in to do a job this season (and maybe next depending on deal) while continuing to develop George, Bailey et al and hopefully taking a punt on unproven talent in the hope we can unnearth our own Pukki or Watkins - if not now, then in January or even next summer (the sooner the better though, given how long Adams took to mature).

Get Hogan over the line and we've got two senior strikers at the club with weeks of the transfer window still to play out, and we can all feel a little less angsty we're going to end up with just one senior striker at the club come 5th October.
09:15, Tue 15 Sep
Hogan under a decent manager will be a good signing for us, lets not forget that almost every other player was abysmal for us post-lockdown and not just Hogan.

I'd be interested to know who exactly would be a better signing for us at the moment within our budget?
09:15, Tue 15 Sep
LH_4
generalBlue

Hopefully he teaches him how to run around like a headless chicken and slide tackle with #PASHUN

And teaches him to take a throw in which starts neat the Tiltion and lands in The Olde Crown Digbeth car park.
Every woman every man
Loves Karankaman, we're Blues
Stand up... stand up.... stand up
Everybody make a noise
We're the Brummie boys
Stand up, stand up .....
09:17, Tue 15 Sep
Rave-On
I am perfectly fine with this as long as it’s not our main striker target and we’ve worked out a good deal with him him and them lot over his wages.

Also I understand the argument about his form post lockdown, but not only will he have a new proper manager, he’s also got an entire new three behind him, who in theory should create more chances for him.

We still need a speed merchant type striker though imo with or without hogan.

How everyone keeps saying this is beyond me. We are in no position to lure any strikers of better quality.

Hogan will be our "marquee" signing that everybody wishes he isn't.
09:18, Tue 15 Sep
Who are the Bargains out there though? There are not that many young forwards out there pulling up trees in the lower leagues currently in the market we’d be shopping in this season. Just been realistic.
I.e Barnsley are not going to sell Woodrow as they have sold Brown.
An experienced forward on attainable wages in this window With some pace I would have thought would be the target in this transfer window. I think Hogan will be the target unless AK/Speakman pull a rabbit out of the hat off the continent