09:55, Tue 15 Sep
DG
We didn’t create a host of chances on Saturday.
09:55, Tue 15 Sep
Le Mod
LH_4
Le Mod
How everyone keeps saying this is beyond me. We are in no position to lure any strikers of better quality.

This just seems so short sighted and defeatist. Let’s not beat ourselves up.

We’re a club from a major city, playing in one of the best leagues in Europe, looking to get to the Premier League, willing to pay someone a Million quid a year, with a former Champions League winner as manager.

The notion that all we can get is a bloke approaching 30 with an injury record, on a free transfer, is distinctly lacking in ambition.

Let’s see what they do

We've just signed;

Etheridge 30.
Clayton 31.
Friend 32.

I don't think Scott Hogan at 28 years is going to be considered too old.

I doubt he's "all we can get" too. He'll probably be followed by a much younger, pacey striker. We need options. We currently only have an injured Juke leading the line. Hogan won't be the only striker we sign.

This argument is about him being our main striker signing, I've already said he'd be fine as an additional bonus option.

Etheridge is a keeper so isn't old
Clayton and Friend have added much needed short to medium term experience, we've saved our funds for a marquee striker, so we can go for a younger one with sell on potential and room to improve.

He’ll be an extremely expensive “bonus option”.
09:56, Tue 15 Sep
Karanka has given the green light to the signing so that’s good enough for me, gerrimin.

People keep bashing him over the head for his post lockdown form are the same people praising the likes of Dean, Colin, Pedersen, Sunjic who were all shite too.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
09:57, Tue 15 Sep
Bela's About
I think it's fine if we are either deciding:

- We sign Hogan and get a good Prem prospect in on loan to then wait a season before spending on another forward.

- We sign Hogan and spend good money on a forward

I'd prefer the latter or secret option 3 spending money on a top forward and getting a Prem kid on loan.

This, basically, so long as the Prem prospect is a good one. Options 2 or 3 are ideal and what I think we are going for
09:57, Tue 15 Sep
If he signs and we get a younger pacy striker in the mould of Abraham/Brewster from a prem loan I think we have it just about right.

Just Hogan on his own will leave us light.
09:59, Tue 15 Sep
Where's this 'done' rumour come from anyway?
Jim
10:01, Tue 15 Sep
Interesting that some on here still seem to think we've only got till 5th October to do deals.

That's not actually the case. The transfer window does officially close at 11pm on 5th October, but there is then an extension till 5pm on 16th October for EFL clubs to do business, including business between Football League and Premier League clubs.

Premier League clubs can't do business with others in their division during the extension period, and all international deals have to be concluded by the 5th October deadline.
10:03, Tue 15 Sep
Le Mod
How everyone keeps saying this is beyond me. We are in no position to lure any strikers of better quality.

This just seems so short sighted and defeatist. Let’s not beat ourselves up.

We’re a club from a major city, playing in one of the best leagues in Europe, looking to get to the Premier League, willing to pay someone a Million quid a year, with a former Champions League winner as manager.

The notion that all we can get is a bloke approaching 30 with an injury record, on a free transfer, is distinctly lacking in ambition.

Let’s see what they do

Your opinion of Hogan doesn’t bother me one way or the other.
However Karanka’s opinion , which remains to be seen, is of real interest. I hope we sign him .
And my opinion , which again ain’t that important is I’ve seen enough of Hogan at Blues to recognise that he’s a very decent finisher and we now have a squad with the ability to create for him and take advantage of his goal scoring.
Every woman every man
Loves Karankaman, we're Blues
Stand up... stand up.... stand up
Everybody make a noise
We're the Brummie boys
Stand up, stand up .....
10:03, Tue 15 Sep
OltonBlue
Where's this 'done' rumour come from anyway?

Guy on Twitter who was the first to claim Toral was signing.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
10:04, Tue 15 Sep
Hogan will be on high wages and will be looking for at least 3/4 year contract. He will be very hard to move on.

Scoring goals at 30 in the championship?

That will get him a move anywhere
@Bluewurst1875
10:11, Tue 15 Sep
It doesn’t always matter about sell on fees though does it. If he scores the goals over next 2 or 3 seasons that get us promoted, or evenInto the money spinning play offs, it will be money well spent. If he scores the goals that make us look attractive to others, that will be money well spent.

We can make a profit on the other buggers.

Despite whit some imply, finishers as good as Hogan are not ten a penny. He’s a bit of a bargain, in fact
10:12, Tue 15 Sep
Le Mod
Brad1875
A foreign signing to come in on the cheap and hit the ground running isn't that regular in the championship at all. Look at the top 10 championship goalscorers last season, only 3 of them were not English (Benrahma, Mbeumo and Mitrovic). Only Mbeumo was a new signing and he cost £5.8m.

I've just looked at the last 2 seasons of top scorers, it is littered with strikers from the lower leagues, Europe or young strikers from the fringes of Premier league clubs. Plenty of strikers out there then
Who do you suggest then?
DG
10:14, Tue 15 Sep
newblue
We didn’t create a host of chances on Saturday.

Were we ever going to?
10:15, Tue 15 Sep
I don't need to suggest anyone, that's the job of the Scouts, Karanka and Speakman.
10:16, Tue 15 Sep
ideally you want 3 strikers, even if you are playing 1 up top
Beware! I bear more grudges than lonely high court judges