12:54, Wed 16 Sep
Mixture of yours and El Mayor’s and add first 2 Psychic TV albums Force the Hand of Chance and Dreams Less Sweet
12:56, Wed 16 Sep
mr_crosby
Mixture of yours and El Mayor’s and add first 2 Psychic TV albums Force the Hand of Chance and Dreams Less Sweet

Psychic TV is a band I’ve not listened to for a while. Have to dig some of their stuff out
13:01, Wed 16 Sep
El Mayor
mr_crosby

Psychic TV is a band I’ve not listened to for a while. Have to dig some of their stuff out

Force the Hand of Chance edges it out of those 2
13:03, Wed 16 Sep
Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
The Smiths - A Hatful of Hollow
INXS - Kick
ABC - Lexicon of Love
Simply Red - Men and Women
13:03, Wed 16 Sep
El Mayor
The Real Thing - Faith No More

Incredible album, and I had to Wikipedia to see that yes, it is indeed 80s, but surely there's an asterisk in there somewhere!?

Glad to see 'The Stone Roses' mentioned already, but looking it up that is also '89 but seems much more acceptable and obvious as 80s to me.

More distinctly 80s albums which were great but not yet mentioned...

Synchronicity : The Police
So : Peter Gabriel
Graceland : Paul Simon

But as with a few 80s things it seems to open yourself up to ridicule from the cooler kids to admit to loving it.
13:05, Wed 16 Sep
This is a very difficult question as it probably depends on the sort of music your into.
I would have to consider Rock, Indi, Pop, Country and Western and many more.
sorry I was only joking about C&W.
Like an English rain. So light yet endless from a leaden sky. Neil Peart RIP.

And when the music stops
There's only the sound of the rain.
Did anyone have 'What's in a word' by The Brilliant Corners?

Superb album though pretty short (less than 25 mins) If I remember correctly.
Remain in Light - Talking Heads
Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth
Dolittle/Surfer Rosa - Pixies
It takes a nation... - Public Enemy
Double Nickels... - Minutemen
Sonic Youth fan. MBV. If you like feedback that much get a job at the council.
13:06, Wed 16 Sep
bluearmyfaction
Altered Images - Happy Birthday

The title track is almost ridiculously misleading, the remainder is about fear, obsession, paranoia. Produced by Steve Severin. And if you listen to the b-side of "Happy Birthday" (which isn't on the original album) you get a different perspective of the title track - more that it is someone under a delusion (which is also touched on "Who Cares?", the b-side of "Dead Pop Stars").

Wedding Present - George Best

Kitchen sink indie at its finest.

OMD - Dazzle Ships

Experimental and boundary-pushing, and you have to skip a few of the samples now. But I reckon it is above Architecture And Morality because it is so bold. Unfortunately the audience had shifted from new wave towards yuppiefication and the sales went down from 3 million to 300k.

The Shop Assistants - Will Anything Happen

Also listed as self-titled. The missing link between Jesus & Mary Chain and The Primitives. Occasionally languid, occasionally effervescent, always utterly brilliant. RIP Alex Taylor.

The Go-Go's - Talk Show

The sound of a band falling apart. It is suffused with bitterness and vitriol, underneath an indiepop exterior.

Someone else can pick a Cocteau Twins album out...and there are still so many others that I constantly go back to. Adam & The Ants, Human League, ABC, Haircut 100, Talulah Gosh, Sugarcubes, HMHB, Talk Talk, Stump, Laibach, Cardiacs, Madness...

If you like the Go-Go's there is a good documentary about them doing the rounds on the sky documentary channel ( unsurprisingly ) at the moment
13:08, Wed 16 Sep
El Mayor
Pretty Hate Machine - Nine Inch Nails
The Real Thing - Faith No More
Bleach - Nirvana
Bug - Dinosaur Jr
Surfer Rosa - Pixies

Ahh I always forget Bleach was in the 80s, that goes on my list.

Puddle of Mudd’s cover of About A Girl is must see for all the wrong reasons.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
13:36, Wed 16 Sep
Talking heads - speaking in tongues
Prince - sign o the times
The human league- dare
The smiths - meat is murder
The the - soul mining

Honurable mentions: ub40 - Signing off, prince - dirty mind, the the - infected, taking heads - remain in light, the smiths - the queen is dead. The wedding present - George best,
13:43, Wed 16 Sep
I am going to go off what were likely my most played albums at the time.

Human League - Travelogue

UB40 - Signing Off

The Specials - More Specials

Simple Minds - Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call

Jean Michel Jarre - Les Chants Magnétiques
13:48, Wed 16 Sep
Loads of the ones already mentioned could have made my list (EG signing off, hatful of hollow, infected, doolittle) so I'll make a list with 5 albums nobody has mentioned yet, but which make my list -

The Beat - I Just Can't Stop It

Stiff Little Fingers - Go For it (or Nobody's Heroes)

Steel Pulse - True Democracy

Rush - Permanent Waves (or Grace Under Pressure)

Midnight Oil - Diesel And Dust (or Blue Sky Mining)
14:16, Wed 16 Sep
Yes, seen it - and according to a mate of mine, who used to do venue sound, they were THE most riotous band he ever worked with.
14:37, Wed 16 Sep
Talking heads - True Stories
New Order - Substance
The Smiths - Strange ways here we come
Prefab Sprout - from langly Park to memphis
Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night