21:50, Wed 16 Sep
Brachistochrone - how to set up a football team

I just know i'm going to get dogs abuse for this - and told that i'm sort of mentalist, but bear with me

This is video about The Brachistochrone and fully explains in very easy steps the difference between the path of least distance and the path of least time. Even if you don't see the connection with football it's still incredibly informative and may change your perception of optimal routes.More importantly it is something which (in my opinion) every coach and manager should be considering. (i will admit, however that i've been pushing this theory for 30 years and have mainly been met with bewilderment). Until i found this video it was always an abstract mathematical calculation which seemed impossible to people i explained it to, but in this video they actual build a Brachistochrone and demonstrate the seemingly impossible effect

It's 25 minutes long and i suggest you watch it whilst considering (its relevance to) whether it is a good idea to have an old-fashioned target man laying the ball off to others who are alongside him ( or behind him) or whether its better to have a No 10 (eg Toral) with a quick lone striker, who can find space and finish, (eg Hogan) ahead of him

21:55, Wed 16 Sep
PS .. if you aren't interested in the theory and the interesting parts then you can skip to 19:55 to see the final effect
22:26, Wed 16 Sep
Rags

I just know i'm going to get dogs abuse for this - and told that i'm sort of mentalist, but bear with me

This is video about The Brachistochrone and fully explains in very easy steps the difference between the path of least distance and the path of least time. Even if you don't see the connection with football it's still incredibly informative and may change your perception of optimal routes.More importantly it is something which (in my opinion) every coach and manager should be considering. (i will admit, however that i've been pushing this theory for 30 years and have mainly been met with bewilderment). Until i found this video it was always an abstract mathematical calculation which seemed impossible to people i explained it to, but in this video they actual build a Brachistochrone and demonstrate the seemingly impossible effect

It's 25 minutes long and i suggest you watch it whilst considering (its relevance to) whether it is a good idea to have an old-fashioned target man laying the ball off to others who are alongside him ( or behind him) or whether its better to have a No 10 (eg Toral) with a quick lone striker, who can find space and finish, (eg Hogan) ahead of him

There’s a fine line between genius and insane....
22:46, Wed 16 Sep
There’s a fine line between genius and insane....

If you read up on Keith Simonton's mad genius paradox he would seem to argue that there is no distinctive line that gets crossed and he builds upon the fact that both the insane and the genius have one specific gene, called neuregulin 1, in common.
23:03, Wed 16 Sep
Hi Rags,

I'm casting the remake of Rain Man and I think you'd be perfect for the lead role!

Drop me a PM if you're interested.
23:06, Wed 16 Sep
Hi Rags,

I'm casting the remake of Rain Man and I think you'd be perfect for the lead role!

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

You mean dumb myself down ?
23:07, Wed 16 Sep
I was trying to say you look like Tom Cruise ;)
23:09, Wed 16 Sep
I was trying to say you look like Tom Cruise ;)

When i'm looking old and haggard perhaps

:-p
23:17, Wed 16 Sep
Got to about 15 minutes in before I realised it had nothing to do with sports whatsoever!
Still interesting though
03:32, Thu 17 Sep
These drugs you’re on...are they available over the counter?
13:22, Thu 17 Sep
My secondary education 60 years ago didn't prepare me for this.
14:15, Thu 17 Sep
I'm going to watch it friday night after a smoke
15:47, Thu 17 Sep
Rags

I understand what you are trying to get at here, and it was a great video (that channel has lots of others that are worth checking out) but the brachistochrone describes the most efficient way to deliver potential energy due to gravity, ie a body accelerating towards the earth. I'm not sure how that equates to a football being passed long, short, round the corners etc when its potential velocity is equal in all paths, including the shortest. That said, the theory is analogous to the different approaches and how route one might not be the most efficient way to launch a counter attack
15:55, Thu 17 Sep
Also doesn't take into account the initial impetus from kicking the thing. The brachistochrone works as the fastest line if there's no initial propulsion, but it won't work in every case, given that the ball will not be relying solely on gravity.