19:06, Mon 26 Oct
Doug Stamper
Brother Tam
Doug Stamper
Robert Hopkins
Wasn't the view of certain managers that Furlong's injuries may not have been proper injuries - i.e. refused to play with the slightest twinge
Furlong only really played for Blues under one manager so when did Trevor Francis tell you this?

If it was a Blues manager, it could have been Bruce.
He was all but gone by the time Bruce was manager. IIRC his last goal (maybe even last appearence) for Blues was Francis' last game at Barnsley.

Bruce played with him though.
19:08, Mon 26 Oct
He played against West Brom under Bruce as I posted.
19:09, Mon 26 Oct
Brother Tam
God
Played against West Brom

[www.soccerbase.com]

Cheers for that. Fairly regular earlier in the season, but Bruce didn't take over until (I think) December 12th, 2001 - that day after we played Palace when TF came back as their manager. The only game that I missed that season because my dog had died that day. 1-0 Mooney penalty, not that I cared.

He played in January after December.
19:10, Mon 26 Oct
Kristoff
Doug Stamper
Brother Tam
Doug Stamper
Robert Hopkins
Wasn't the view of certain managers that Furlong's injuries may not have been proper injuries - i.e. refused to play with the slightest twinge
Furlong only really played for Blues under one manager so when did Trevor Francis tell you this?

He was all but gone by the time Bruce was manager. IIRC his last goal (maybe even last appearence) for Blues was Francis' last game at Barnsley.

Fair point, but in the two seasons Bruce was a player at Blues Furlong played in near enough 80 games so he could hardly have been described as a crock.
Si
19:11, Mon 26 Oct
Thought Furlong was really good for us
19:17, Mon 26 Oct
God
Brother Tam
God
Played against West Brom

[www.soccerbase.com]

Cheers for that. Fairly regular earlier in the season, but Bruce didn't take over until (I think) December 12th, 2001 - that day after we played Palace when TF came back as their manager. The only game that I missed that season because my dog had died that day. 1-0 Mooney penalty, not that I cared.

He played in January after December.

Yes, I know. Just observing that he was pretty regular earlier that season. For whatever reason, Bruce didn't fancy him and he was at Sheffield United on loan in February and March.
The Belle of St. Trillions
19:19, Mon 26 Oct
Doug Stamper
Brother Tam
Doug Stamper
Robert Hopkins

He was a Blues player for quite a while after Bruce became manager, although he only played once under Bruce, as has been mentioned. Bruce came in in December and Furlong left in early September the next year after we were promoted.
19:21, Mon 26 Oct
Doug Stamper
Kristoff
Doug Stamper
Brother Tam
Doug Stamper
Robert Hopkins

Fair point, but in the two seasons Bruce was a player at Blues Furlong played in near enough 80 games so he could hardly have been described as a crock.

He played just once under Bruce when Bruce was manager though. Discounting the close season after promotion, that was about 6 months of footballing time. I know he went to Sheffield United on loan for a month, and he played quite a few games up until October 2001, so I wonder if, when Bruce took over, Furlong was injured?
19:23, Mon 26 Oct
Brother Tam
Doug Stamper
Brother Tam
Doug Stamper
Robert Hopkins

He was a Blues player for quite a while after Bruce became manager, although he only played once under Bruce, as has been mentioned. Bruce came in in December and Furlong left in early September the next year after we were promoted.
Within a month of Bruce coming in he was out on loan at Sheff Utd so was effectively out the door. He'd not been involved much for a good while before Bruce came in either. I think taking a loan move 100 miles up north and even further away from any roots he had before Blues would be a strange move for a player who apparently didn't want to play much.
19:31, Mon 26 Oct
Doug Stamper
Brother Tam
Doug Stamper
Brother Tam
Doug Stamper
Robert Hopkins

Within a month of Bruce coming in he was out on loan at Sheff Utd so was effectively out the door. He'd not been involved much for a good while before Bruce came in either. I think taking a loan move 100 miles up north and even further away from any roots he had before Blues would be a strange move for a player who apparently didn't want to play much.

Two months after Bruce came in, I think and had been pretty much a regular until two months before Bruce came in. I'm not one of those that suggests that he didn't want to play much, by the way - I pointed out earlier in the thread that he carried on playing until he was about 44, so clearly enjoyed playing. Bruce might thought his time was up - he clearly did - and that injuries were getting the better of him. TF might have thought that he was too precious with his injuries, but as a) he played a lot under TF and also presumably got a contract extension and b) suffered some pretty horrible injuries then I'd be surprised if he'd have been described as a bit soft in that department by anyone that knew him.
19:35, Mon 26 Oct
footballisanart
Robert Hopkins
Alledgedly training with us.

Is there actually any truth to this?

I’ve heard iterations of this the last few weeks, I don’t think it’s true.
19:36, Mon 26 Oct
In John, Horsfield, AJ and Mooney we were well stocked up front.
19:39, Mon 26 Oct
God
In John, Horsfield, AJ and Mooney we were well stocked up front.

Yeah, we were - I think Furlong was seen as yesterday's man, which proved to be fair enough. Funnily enough, I can't remember much about AJ in that run-in to the end of the season.
22:28, Mon 26 Oct
Stern was the man
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
22:51, Mon 26 Oct
Remember Furlong getting subbed at home and as he walked off ripped his shirt off and threw towards the bench and disappeared down the Main Stand tunnel. It all kicked off.,