08:23, Sun 25 Oct
Any TV Experts around?

I have a Sony Bravia KD-55A1 that has developed annoying horizontal lines and a definite colour problem in the middle of the screen.

I’ve tried panel refresh, factory resets, messing with the myriad of colour tweaks etc., but to no avail.

Only had it three years, nearly £3k of TV, and of course I didn’t take out the extended warranty.

Mrs PD “not best pleased” 😔

Any advice, expert or not, might extend my admittedly limited love life beyond buying a new one.

TIA.
08:25, Sun 25 Oct
Sorry, no idea why I’ve put this on the Politics forum, can a mod move over to the tv one please? 😀
08:51, Sun 25 Oct
You're shit out of a luck. I'd say that's gonna need replacement panel which is probably worth more than the telly.

Smash it and claim off the home insurance. Probably cheaper.

You could take to Google and search the model number and issue and see if anyone else reported similar issues and a fix on some forums.

But it's clearly faulty and sounds like no amount of setting changes may fix it.
The only remaining attempt would be to turn off all power at socket and leave it for 10 mins. See if that does anything.
08:54, Sun 25 Oct
Or you could make the valid claim the tv is expected to last a reasonable amount of time and three years isn't, make a claim etc. The law is on the consumers side
09:10, Sun 25 Oct
A place called brown and fincher I think they’re in droitwich. Give them a call, they will give you a repair quote.

Failing that, not sure if ever spend more than a grand on a tv, because the technology changes so quickly, as soon as the new tech comes out TV prices plummet on the previous models
09:10, Sun 25 Oct
[www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk]

I had a Tv that went similar after 2 years (this was around 3-4 years ago ) and I did as outlined in the attached..... Got my money back....... There is a EU consumer goods law as well but I can’t remember what it is off the top of my head, or indeed if it still applies now !!

I’d say you are in with a decent chance of refund with TV Engineers report . Mine cost about £ 70 I think
09:11, Sun 25 Oct
01905 794900 droitwich...brown and fincher an old buddy of mine swears by them
09:14, Sun 25 Oct
Thanks all.
09:57, Sun 25 Oct
Wilfred Owen
[www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk]

I had a Tv that went similar after 2 years (this was around 3-4 years ago ) and I did as outlined in the attached..... Got my money back....... There is a EU consumer goods law as well but I can’t remember what it is off the top of my head, or indeed if it still applies now !!

I’d say you are in with a decent chance of refund with TV Engineers report . Mine cost about £ 70 I think

EU consumer-goods law you say? Too late mate, the Brexit loons voted us out.
10:00, Sun 25 Oct
Thought as much hence me reticence 🙄...
10:09, Sun 25 Oct
Good point.

Guess it’s a visit to Currys, but I won’t be spending that sort of money again. Buy one and expect it to last a couple of years tops, like other white goods.

Game’s gone.
10:20, Sun 25 Oct
Buy an LG. Got 3 in our house don’t cost the earth & never failed. One is 15yrs old one is about 9 till going strong 👍
10:24, Sun 25 Oct
I believe under The Sale Of Goods act, a product should be fit for purpose for 6 years and the fault not down to wear and tear. Happened to us, We had to get a report from a repair guy, detailing the fault ( ours wasn’t repairable as unable to get the part needed). Report cost £25. Curry’s refunded us the amount to buy an equivalent tv, which was less than paid, as 4 years on. Rang Curry’s at the start & they were really helpful.
10:41, Sun 25 Oct
GBlue
I believe under The Sale Of Goods act, a product should be fit for purpose for 6 years and the fault not down to wear and tear. Happened to us, We had to get a report from a repair guy, detailing the fault ( ours wasn’t repairable as unable to get the part needed). Report cost £25. Curry’s refunded us the amount to buy an equivalent tv, which was less than paid, as 4 years on. Rang Curry’s at the start & they were really helpful.

Thanks, very helpful.

Did they advise who to go to to get the report?
10:42, Sun 25 Oct
Pearly Dewdrops
Any TV Experts around?

I have a Sony Bravia KD-55A1 that has developed annoying horizontal lines and a definite colour problem in the middle of the screen.

I’ve tried panel refresh, factory resets, messing with the myriad of colour tweaks etc., but to no avail.

Only had it three years, nearly £3k of TV, and of course I didn’t take out the extended warranty.

Mrs PD “not best pleased” 😔

Any advice, expert or not, might extend my admittedly limited love life beyond buying a new one.

TIA.

Maybe you already tried this but assuming its a HDMI feed have you changed that cable ?
Also worth just checking the condition of the HDMI input socket on the TV itself.
If you are using a Skybox or other source have you tried that source into another tv ?
Obviously that will rule out the source as the issue .
Who painted Rosie's knickers blue and white ?