10:33, Sat 21 Nov
You're right, we have had some clean sheets. Nobody said that we haven't.

What I said was, in the context of such defensive/negative football and people trying to justify this by claiming that 'he's got us solid' -

'Look at our goals conceded/clean sheet tally, it's not particularly impressive.'
10:37, Sat 21 Nov
7 teams have conceded less goals than us and we’ve played one game more than them. We’re not watertight but I’d say it’s pretty solid.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
10:37, Sat 21 Nov
TQ Blue
Dolph
It’s a 3 year plan. He’s got us solid and over the next 5 or 6 transfer windows we’ll use the Jude money to invest in match winners I’m Sure.

a) There is no such thing as a three year plan at this level of football - especially with no fans in the ground.

b) We are not solid. Look at our goals conceded/clean sheet tally, it's not particularly impressive.

(A) Yes there is , norwich , Brighton , Bournemouth, Brentford and Bristol city are all examples of long term visions and pro active and not reactive strategies.

(B) Other than the blip against Wycombe and Bournemouth we’ve been solid in every other game. Karanka’s defensive record speaks for itself

I’d rather a long term plan than differing managers and styles every 6 months.
10:40, Sat 21 Nov
I do wonder how long the powers that be will stand for this style though. The official excuse for getting rid of Rowett was we wanted to play better football and AK makes him look like Guardiola in comparison.
10:42, Sat 21 Nov
You’d like to think Dong has learnt his lesson, he did acknowledge previous mistakes when appointing karanka.
He’s won promotion and we’ve got to trust him.
10:49, Sat 21 Nov
Super Hans
I do wonder how long the powers that be will stand for this style though. The official excuse for getting rid of Rowett was we wanted to play better football
Loads of us knew at the time that was a lie and definitely not the reason he was fired
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
10:58, Sat 21 Nov
Dolph
(A) Yes there is , norwich , Brighton , Bournemouth, Brentford and Bristol city are all examples of long term visions and pro active and not reactive strategies.

(B) Other than the blip against Wycombe and Bournemouth we’ve been solid in every other game. Karanka’s defensive record speaks for itself

I would also prefer that long term plan rather than changing managers/styles every six months. So are you suggesting that regardless of whether we change managers over the three years (as have some of the clubs you mention), we have decided to stick with this style for at least the next three years? In other words, it's not Karanka's style we're seeing, it's the club's?

Or perhaps you're suggesting that we are still working on the defensive side of things and at some point in the future (can you tell us when?) we will move onto playing attractive football, or possession-based football, or at least having some sort of attacking threat?

As for point B, I don't understand how you fail to include Rotherham or Sheffield in your list of blips? As I have said in my earlier posts, if we're going to sacrifice attacking threat, possession (at home to weaker sides) and any semblence of attractive, entertaining football in favour of 'being solid' then in exchange for all of this I would hope to see amazing defensive performances from a defence that other teams fear. This is not what I'm seeing, I'm seeing a distinctly average defence which is reasonably unreliable and has regular 'blips'.
11:00, Sat 21 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
Super Hans
I do wonder how long the powers that be will stand for this style though. The official excuse for getting rid of Rowett was we wanted to play better football
Loads of us knew at the time that was a lie and definitely not the reason he was fired

I don’t think it was a complete lie. There were obviously other reasons for the sacking but I’m convinced the higher ups also wanted to play more attractive football hence the Zola hiring.

I hope I’m wrong as I want some stability but if we we’re still like this in a few months I don’t trust Dong and co to not pull the trigger.
11:04, Sat 21 Nov
I was delighted when we appointed Karanka, as I thought he would turn us from the joke we had become to a proper, professional outfit.
He has.
He has also done a superb job in transforming the defensive side of things.
We should, however be “allowed” to question actions and words that do not seem to make much sense.
Last night was one of the most frustrating games I have ever seen. Why on earth we do not use Leko more - for me he has offered a threat on every, fairly limited, occasion we’ve seen him - is totally baffling.
For AK to pretty much say afterwards he did not want to make another sub because he feared it could lose us the game is VERY worrying.
We were not away to Bournemouth - we were basically at home to a very poor team, with a shocking concession rate.
The only slack I could cut him there is he did not want 3 (“home”) defeats in a row - ie he was swayed a bit by the last 2 results.
But....how much confidence does he have in our new found solidity if he thinks that, say, swapping Sanchez ,who was poor, for Leko and/or Juke for Hogan would cause us to collapse and concede.
The mindset that sits behind that decision-making is, as I say worrying, and I worry that it might lead to a loss of patience from above, which would be disastrous
11:07, Sat 21 Nov
I certainly don't think the performance was anything like as poor as many on here seem to think. There were some good phases of play and decent passing to work our way up the pitch. It was clear that AK didn't want to change the shape as we were on top and the longer the game went we did look likely to nick the winner. The problem this year is most of the teams are of similar quality and the outcomes are decided by fine margins. If the Cov keeper doesn't get his fingertips to Juke's header we win 1-0 and most on here would be saying that it was as AK masterclass.
My only criticism of AK is that I think he restricts the ability of the full backs in getting forward and it was very noticeable that when Colin started being more offensive in the last 20 mins we started to create good situations on the right hand side as his link up play with Sanchez is very good. Most premier league teams that play 4-2-3-1 have very fit offensive full backs that make this system work in attacking areas of the pitch.

KRO - SOTV
11:08, Sat 21 Nov
I would add that the most threatening I’ve seen us this season was v QPR, when we played Leko and Hogan - something we’ve not done since IIRC.
11:09, Sat 21 Nov
People are allowed to question things as this thread as shown. I’ve questioned things, as we should.
Saying things like it’s the worse team in 60 years is saft though, and that should be questioned too. Which it has
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
11:10, Sat 21 Nov
Agree with this mostly. I was also happy with his appointment initially but we have played quite a few of the lesser/promoted teams so far this season and have been mostly appalling against them with little intention of trying to win, even at home. Ultimately, I now think this will turn out to be a failure I'm afraid to say.
11:16, Sat 21 Nov
I didn’t actually think about the context of the last 2 games before it was mentioned there. I think that would explain Karanka’s decision to not change anything, even up front. Well, sort of.

Jutkiewicz was the game plan for scoring. He certainly had some supply and probably should’ve taken one of the 2/3 chances that came his way. Taking him off would mean trying to completely change how we get service to the forwards mid second half, which isn’t ideal. You cannot give Hogan the same service that you give Jutkiewicz.

I think Sanchez does more defensively than he’s credited for. Not afraid to get stuck in and use his body. Leko does nothing defensively.

Bela was the only one I was a bit surprised didn’t come off as I don’t feel he does much defensively. Although he didn’t look poor out there, he did go missing a bit.

So in any of those changes there would’ve been a risk of opening up at the back or causing confusion which allowed Cov to score. And I do get the point that we should be really taking these risks against Cov. But what Karanka has done is stop a losing streak from happening. Imagine the stick he would’ve got losing to Cov tonight.

I don’t think our squad is as good as people make it out to be
11:17, Sat 21 Nov
TQ Blue
Dolph

I would also prefer that long term plan rather than changing managers/styles every six months. So are you suggesting that regardless of whether we change managers over the three years (as have some of the clubs you mention), we have decided to stick with this style for at least the next three years? In other words, it's not Karanka's style we're seeing, it's the club's?

Or perhaps you're suggesting that we are still working on the defensive side of things and at some point in the future (can you tell us when?) we will move onto playing attractive football, or possession-based football, or at least having some sort of attacking threat?

As for point B, I don't understand how you fail to include Rotherham or Sheffield in your list of blips? As I have said in my earlier posts, if we're going to sacrifice attacking threat, possession (at home to weaker sides) and any semblence of attractive, entertaining football in favour of 'being solid' then in exchange for all of this I would hope to see amazing defensive performances from a defence that other teams fear. This is not what I'm seeing, I'm seeing a distinctly average defence which is reasonably unreliable and has regular 'blips'.

A) I think the club want to see promotion. They’ve sampled with experienced managers , young managers, attractive football and we’ve shot out selves in the foot.
We need to move away from
Short termism and reactive decisions. I’m confident the club will invest heavily in the attacking department in the next 6 transfer windows. Maintain that solid core and find attackaers who will not only create their own chances but turn 0-0’s into 1-0 wins .

B) the discussion wasn’t about results it was about being solid . Sheff wed and Rotherham both scored from penalties . We was never really troubled, same as preston (wonder goal) Huddersfield ( free kick) and stoke ( late open play )