11:35, Sat 21 Nov
We don't need a massive investment in attacking players to score more goals. Its down to Karanka and his style of play.
11:44, Sat 21 Nov
Dolph
I’m confident the club will invest heavily in the attacking department in the next 6 transfer windows. Maintain that solid core and find attackaers who will not only create their own chances but turn 0-0’s into 1-0 wins .

They don't need to invest heavily in my opinion, they need to alter the balance of the formation, player selection, tactics and style of play so that the emphasis is balanced out between attack and defence rather than just almost purely defensiveness. They could do that on Tuesday, there's no need to spend three seasons on it.

Dolph
B) the discussion wasn’t about results it was about being solid . Sheff wed and Rotherham both scored from penalties . We was never really troubled, same as preston (wonder goal) Huddersfield ( free kick) and stoke ( late open play )

Well it comes down to what your definition and purpose of 'being solid' is. Mine would be to beat teams like Rotherham at home rather than dropping two points on a draw and not losing at home to teams like Sheffield. If we're going to turn a blind eye to or excuse results like that (which you did), then what are we trying to achieve by sacrificing all attacking threat and any chance of entertaining the fans in order to be 'solid'? If that's what being solid is all about, then let's concentrate on winning football games instead of being solid because being solid is worthless and pointless and comes at too high a price.

It doesn't matter if goals conceded are penalties or not - they all count. Unless the ref is cheating, then we can't have been that solid to have conceded them in the first place. We could be more solid by putting the ball in their net a couple of times, building up a solid lead then the odd penalty conceded won't make a difference - plus it might not be painful to watch the game.
11:51, Sat 21 Nov
TQ Blue
Dolph
I’m confident the club will invest heavily in the attacking department in the next 6 transfer windows. Maintain that solid core and find attackaers who will not only create their own chances but turn 0-0’s into 1-0 wins .

They don't need to invest heavily in my opinion, they need to alter the balance of the formation, player selection, tactics and style of play so that the emphasis is balanced out between attack and defence rather than just almost purely defensiveness. They could do that on Tuesday, there's no need to spend three seasons on it.

Dolph
B) the discussion wasn’t about results it was about being solid . Sheff wed and Rotherham both scored from penalties . We was never really troubled, same as preston (wonder goal) Huddersfield ( free kick) and stoke ( late open play )

Well it comes down to what your definition and purpose of 'being solid' is. Mine would be to beat teams like Rotherham at home rather than dropping two points on a draw and not losing at home to teams like Sheffield. If we're going to turn a blind eye to or excuse results like that (which you did), then what are we trying to achieve by sacrificing all attacking threat and any chance of entertaining the fans in order to be 'solid'? If that's what being solid is all about, then let's concentrate on winning football games instead of being solid because being solid is worthless and pointless and comes at too high a price.

My definition of solid is to restrict the opposition to minimal chances , which aside from Wycombe and Bournemouth we have done.

I haven’t turned a blind eye to results because Wycombe was abysmal and we really should be picking up
More than 1 point at home to rotherham and sheff wed.... but it will be swings and roundabouts this season , they’ll be results like the Wycombe game but AK will also win us games like the Brentford game.
we’re only a few months into the project and after 3 years under karanka I’m very confident we’ll be even more stubborn at the back and we’ll sign the attacking players we desperately need to mount a real challenge.
11:52, Sat 21 Nov
TrickyBlue
We don't need a massive investment in attacking players to score more goals. Its down to Karanka and his style of play.

Karanka has won promotion with his style of football.
11:55, Sat 21 Nov
Dolph
TrickyBlue

Because he could do. The fact was that Middlesbrough won ganes that season because they had eleven better players than the team they were up against. A bit like McLeish had here in 2009, you can grind your way to results.

It won't have the same success here with our standard of squad, very naive to think otherwise. A lot of improvement is needed.
12:01, Sat 21 Nov
Doug Stamper
Dolph
TrickyBlue

Because he could do. The fact was that Middlesbrough won ganes that season because they had eleven better players than the team they were up against. A bit like McLeish had here in 2009, you can grind your way to results.

It won't have the same success here with our standard of squad, very naive to think otherwise. A lot of improvement is needed.

Football has moved on alot in a short amount of time. We will not get promoted with this style of play. You only have to look at the teams that have been promoted in the last 5 seasons or so.
12:03, Sat 21 Nov
TrickyBlue
Doug Stamper
Dolph
TrickyBlue

Football has moved on alot in a short amount of time. We will not get promoted with this style of play. You only have to look at the teams that have been promoted in the last 5 seasons or so.

As I said, the only way this style works in terms of getting promoted is when you have the calibre and experience of squad we had in 08/09 and as AK had at Boro during season 15/16.

We don't have that here.
12:04, Sat 21 Nov
Doug Stamper
Dolph
TrickyBlue

Agreed, we’ve shown by shutting Brentford and swansea out and restricting everyone other than Wycombe and Bournemouth to minimal chances that the seeds are being planted.
Iin 5 or 6 transfer windows time I really believe we’ll be in a position to compete.
12:06, Sat 21 Nov
Dolph
Doug Stamper
Dolph
TrickyBlue

Agreed, we’ve shown by shutting Brentford and swansea out and restricting everyone other than Wycombe and Bournemouth to minimal chances that the seeds are being planted.
Iin 5 or 6 transfer windows time I really believe we’ll be in a position to compete.

If we carry on playing this way Karanka will be lucky to last the season. Not because of my view but I don't think the owners and a lot of fans would stand for it.
12:10, Sat 21 Nov
Dolph
My definition of solid is to restrict the opposition to minimal chances , which aside from Wycombe and Bournemouth we have done.

Preston 60% possession 11 shots 6 SOT
Huddersfield 77% possession 12 shots 2 SOT
QPR 62% possession 15 shots 1 SOT
Norwich 73% possession 23 shots 4 SOT
Sheff Wed 40% possession 14 shots 3 SOT
Stoke 60% possession 11 shots 1 SOT
Rotherham 43% possession 9 shots 3 SOT
Swansea 61% possession 8 shots 5 SOT
Brentford 63% possession 16 shots 4 SOT

Are you sure?
12:10, Sat 21 Nov
Doug Stamper
Dolph
Doug Stamper
Dolph
TrickyBlue

If we carry on playing this way Karanka will be lucky to last the season. Not because of my view but I don't think the owners and a lot of fans would stand for it.

Well I believe the owners and ‘a lot of fans’ would be naive. We’ve tried throwing money at it , we’ve tried up
And coming managers , we’ve tried ‘sexy’ appointments and the short termism hasn’t worked.
We have a plan in place now and to rip it up and start again would be pointless.

Unfortunately guardiola’s and bielsa’s don’t grow on trees and you can’t go from shipping 3 every game to winning football in a few months , especially with the squad and budget we have compared to others in the division.
12:11, Sat 21 Nov
I think Karanka gets a free hit this season as long as we dont go down, regardless of the football. Next season the board will be expecting alot more, I'm sure.
12:11, Sat 21 Nov
TQ Blue
Dolph

Preston 60% possession 11 shots 6 SOT
Huddersfield 77% possession 12 shots 2 SOT
QPR 62% possession 15 shots 1 SOT
Norwich 73% possession 23 shots 4 SOT
Sheff Wed 40% possession 14 shots 3 SOT
Stoke 60% possession 11 shots 1 SOT
Rotherham 43% possession 9 shots 3 SOT
Swansea 61% possession 8 shots 5 SOT
Brentford 63% possession 16 shots 4 SOT

Are you sure?

Yeah , I watched every game. And none of the above ever looked like consistently penetrating our goal.
12:13, Sat 21 Nov
Silly of TQ to simply look at the stats of games. I agree Dolph, in fairness we have never looked like being overrun in those games.
12:22, Sat 21 Nov
Dolph
Yeah , I watched every game. And none of the above ever looked like consistently penetrating our goal.

They don't need to 'consistently penetrate our goal'. They only need to do it once and if we allow them 73% possession and 23 shots then they are inevitably going to do so and if we don't even threaten to score then the one goal is more than enough for the opposition to gain three points and for us to gain nothing. On top of this, the football is painful and embarrassing to watch.

We need to aim higher than just 'being solid', if this is what it entails. It's a losing strategy in the long term, in every way.