12:23, Sat 21 Nov
Doug Stamper
Silly of TQ to simply look at the stats of games. I agree Dolph, in fairness we have never looked like being overrun in those games.

I was 'simply looking at the stats in games' to counter a specific point about 'restricting the opposition to minimal chances', so I chose the stats which demonstrate exactly how many chances they had.

You don't need to be overrun in order to lose and come away with nothing. If you have barely any attacking threat and consistently allow the opposition to easily dominate possession, you will probably lose more than you win.
12:26, Sat 21 Nov
Dolph
They don't need to 'consistently penetrate our goal'. They only need to do it once and if we allow them 73% possession and 23 shots then they are inevitably going to do so and if we don't even threaten to score then the one goal is more than enough for the opposition to gain three points and for us to gain nothing..

This might be why we signed the best available shot stopper in the division
12:27, Sat 21 Nov
I actually think we'll do better against the good teams who will attack us from the off - Karanka's style is better suited - but we won't get away with it against real quality like Bournemouth or Norwich who in my view will walk this league.

The Wycombe and Coventry games highlight the problem, Karanka has only one style so can't cope with supposed lesser opposition where we should be dominating.

I appreciate the calls for patience, but I'm seriously considering whether I can be bothered to pay £10 to watch Blues at Luton on Tuesday to watch what I already know will be a turgid, dull negative game of football, that if we're lucky we might sneak a 1-0 win.

In 40 + years I've never felt so apathetic about watching the Blues.
12:32, Sat 21 Nov
The important stat to look at there is SOT - In 5 of these games SOT range was 1 - 3 and in the others the max was 6. That suggests we defend well and limit clear goal scoring opportunities. There is no question that AK knows how to set a team up defensively and I am sure that he will be working hard on improving our attacking edge.

KRO - SOTV
12:34, Sat 21 Nov
Mourinho bases his whole philosophy around the team who has the most possession makes the most mistakes and the team who makes the most mistakes concedes the most goals.

It’s not nice but it’s worked for him. It’s clear it’s rubbed off on his disciple Aitor.

It worked for Rowett and it worked for Monk. It’s about what you do with the ball when you have it.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
12:38, Sat 21 Nov
Bela's About
Mourinho bases his whole philosophy around the team who has the most possession makes the most mistakes and the team who makes the most mistakes concedes the most goals.

It’s not nice but it’s worked for him. It’s clear it’s rubbed off on his disciple Aitor.

You seem to be suggesting that when Mourinho has been successful at clubs, he used the exact same approach to football that Karanka is using at Blues? He allowed the opposition to dominate possession and focused almost entirely on defence and 'being solid' at the expense of any attacking threat or entertainment?
12:43, Sat 21 Nov
SXBlue
The important stat to look at there is SOT - In 5 of these games SOT range was 1 - 3 and in the others the max was 6. That suggests we defend well and limit clear goal scoring opportunities. There is no question that AK knows how to set a team up defensively and I am sure that he will be working hard on improving our attacking edge.

KRO - SOTV

It’s not even this. Using something like shot and shots on target to determine chances isn’t a good measure. If those shots are from outside the box they’re not chances they’re potshots that rarely go in, especially in this league where we’re not against De Bruyne’s every week.

I’ve just been and had a nosey on Cov’s full time Twitter post. There’s a couple of fans suggesting we played better and should’ve won, also fans that are saying that’s the sort of game they should be winning. It’s certainly not like Cov are absolutely delighted with a point - suggesting they’re not exactly a walkover.

We had the better chances, we didn’t take them, in another game we will and nobody will be complaining. We didn’t really give them the chance to nick the game. That’s defensive solidarity that you don’t get when you play more attacking football
13:09, Sat 21 Nov
David Xavis
It’s going to be very hard to settle on the same team as there are so many games.

Back to the 4-2-3-1 tonight, was clear AK wanted to make sure we kept a clean sheet first and foremost.

Frustrating not to win, it was boring but realistically we should have won the game on balance of chances created.

If we win that 1-0 everyone is happy.

Karanka needs time, not 11 games or whatever it has been. This is a HUGE job. There is clearly a strategy and I doubt we will see the fruits of any attacking evolution until the second half of the season or maybe next season when we have better quality in the 10 and upfront to be honest.

A part of me agrees with you but then I think back to Rowett's appointment. When he took over we were an absolute horror show. We'd had wage limitations and zero transfer budget and had had to endure the Lee Clark bingo machine that had finally run out of lucky spins. We were heading down and had just been battered 8-0 at home by Bournemouth. You could make the case that we were in a worse position then that at the end of last season (though it's perhaps marginal).

Rowett came in unable to make any signings bar Morrison. Straight away he identified how he wanted to play, instructed the players to do it and got results: 7 wins 3 draws and 2 losses from his first 12 games, with 18 goals too. It was a very weak team back then. When Rowett was sacked we were on the verge of the play-offs (3 points off 3rd).

Now I don't want to get too heavy into the comparison. I use it mostly to point out that the idea that we need to wait an entire season to see any attacking evolution is wrong. I think we judge our managers against the horror of previous occupants and thus the bar is very VERY low. Yes managers need time but not every manager needs a season to formulate a way of playing that gets results.

I am in no way calling for AK to go - I don't want that. But I believe it is reasonable given the players he has brought in and the time he has been here to see bigger improvements than we have. The defence looks a lot better than at the end of last season but we are 2 points worse off than where we were with Pep this time last year and the football is not better.

I have much more faith in AK to improve than I ever did with Pep, but it is not hyperbolic, bed wetting, or even unreasonable to expect better from him in the immediate future.
montypenguin
I actually think we'll do better against the good teams who will attack us from the off - Karanka's style is better suited - but we won't get away with it against real quality like Bournemouth or Norwich who in my view will walk this league.

The Wycombe and Coventry games highlight the problem, Karanka has only one style so can't cope with supposed lesser opposition where we should be dominating.

I appreciate the calls for patience, but I'm seriously considering whether I can be bothered to pay £10 to watch Blues at Luton on Tuesday to watch what I already know will be a turgid, dull negative game of football, that if we're lucky we might sneak a 1-0 win.

In 40 + years I've never felt so apathetic about watching the Blues.

This. I don’t expect us to win another trophy in my lifetime. But it’s not too much to expect to watch a team that tries to play decent football, we have something to get excited about and some decent talking points. Karanka reminds me of Alan Durban, “if you want entertainment go to the circus”
Whatever anyone says about Monk we played some good football, plenty of exciting games and a real togetherness. I would settle for that again but we won’t get it with this manager
13:16, Sat 21 Nov
Great post.

Another comparison, Reading are currently beating Bournemouth 2-0, which as it stands, takes them 4 points clear at the top.

Is their squad worth more than ours? Wouldn't think so. New manager, came into that job a month later than Karanka.
13:23, Sat 21 Nov
That's a good post. I can't really think of a manager at Blues who had a decent period of time and the plan took time to bed in and slowly improved (e.g. Klopp at Liverpool). There hasn't been many lately who have had much more than a season, but those who have have shown pretty early what the plan was and not really evolved from that in any great way.

I'm hoping Karanka will be different and I think there are reasons for optimism, he has the aura of a coach with a plan even if the evidence isn't clear at the moment.
13:26, Sat 21 Nov
Dolph
TQ Blue
Dolph
My definition of solid is to restrict the opposition to minimal chances , which aside from Wycombe and Bournemouth we have done.

Preston 60% possession 11 shots 6 SOT
Huddersfield 77% possession 12 shots 2 SOT
QPR 62% possession 15 shots 1 SOT
Norwich 73% possession 23 shots 4 SOT
Sheff Wed 40% possession 14 shots 3 SOT
Stoke 60% possession 11 shots 1 SOT
Rotherham 43% possession 9 shots 3 SOT
Swansea 61% possession 8 shots 5 SOT
Brentford 63% possession 16 shots 4 SOT

Are you sure?

Yeah , I watched every game. And none of the above ever looked like consistently penetrating our goal.

Come on now, we're all entitled to our opinions but let's not dispense with reality. Norwich absolutely dominated us.
13:28, Sat 21 Nov
Bela's About

It worked for Rowett and it worked for Monk. It’s about what you do with the ball when you have it.

TBF, Mourinho has also largely outspent most other managers when he's had significant success.
13:30, Sat 21 Nov
I hope so too.

In fairness to Rowett, I know there was a sense that he had plateaued but we were doing better than we had under him was he was fired and we'll never know what could have happened.
13:53, Sat 21 Nov
Bournemouth 2-2 now and they have just carved Reading open with the same move they pulled against us by putting Danjuma through on the left for another tidy finish.

KRO - SOTV