09:50, Sat 21 Nov
Friday night saw Birmingham City play out a dull 0-0 draw with fellow St Andrews tenants, Coventry City. In a game of few chances, Lukas Jutkiewicz came closest to scoring for Blues, hitting the bar with the ball and the post with his head. While things are nowhere near as bad as the Project Restart

[almajir.net]
10:00, Sat 21 Nov
That’s doesn’t say a lot, does it Dan?
10:08, Sat 21 Nov
Back to basics two up front all day long...

4 4 2
10:14, Sat 21 Nov
yeah that performance was way too expansive we need to be more basic
10:15, Sat 21 Nov
Having calmed down a bit when you reflect on last night it is another game we should have won but didn.
Juke should have scored 2 and was denied a definite pen for a blatant shirt pull. Cov never looked like scoring and that was down to a solid looking defence.
Did expect to see Hogan for 10-15 mins but becoming quite clear now that he was not signed by the manager.
Like an English rain. So light yet endless from a leaden sky. Neil Peart RIP.

And when the music stops
There's only the sound of the rain.
10:15, Sat 21 Nov
Mario kempes 78

4 4 2

/headdesk

It's not about "two up front", or "four four effing two".

The current formation we have could be attacking, if Blues moved the ball quicker.

It was noticeable that Riley McGree wasn't getting the ball much and was having to drop deeper and deeper to collect it - which makes us look more defensive and makes Juke look more isolated. Part of that I think was because Sunjic had a poor game; but part of it is because we're just not quick enough.
10:17, Sat 21 Nov
almajir.net
Friday night saw Birmingham City play out a dull 0-0 draw with fellow St Andrews tenants, Coventry City. In a game of few chances, Lukas Jutkiewicz came closest to scoring for Blues, hitting the bar with the ball and the post with his head. While things are nowhere near as bad as the Project Restart

[almajir.net]

I see why AK didn’t change things up. We were boring but right up to the end we were creating chances. Juke just didn’t put them away.
11:06, Sat 21 Nov
El Mayor
Mario kempes 78

4 4 2

/headdesk

It's not about "two up front", or "four four effing two".

The current formation we have could be attacking, if Blues moved the ball quicker.

It was noticeable that Riley McGree wasn't getting the ball much and was having to drop deeper and deeper to collect it - which makes us look more defensive and makes Juke look more isolated. Part of that I think was because Sunjic had a poor game; but part of it is because we're just not quick enough.

But if Mr King has a quick glance in his notes to see where Stoke, Boro and Reading were this time last season and where they are now having spent a few quid on some young legs and a couple of managers with pedigree (like AK) he will be sorely disappointed and that may well reflect in his upcoming Xmas card list. Lets face it we have fallen way behind other clubs who have 'projects' already, apart from a defence that seems better-equipped the rest makes for ordinary viewing compared with watching Stoke, Boro and Reading who have kicked on in 12 games. We have regressed if anything in the middle and up top whilst appearing to not understand that player management in-game (ie using subs) is better than post game changing 4 players all the time. Time will tell of course but the current player management (5 subs etc) is at odds with what other clubs are doing and are more successful as a result.
11:08, Sat 21 Nov
Totally agree with you and with the subs we could have put on to change the game I'm sure Mr King must have been thinking this too
We know what we need same as all other clubs a stricker but watching blues struggle against a bad defensive record of Coventry makes me worry
Now I think Mr King should go all out and bring our boy back deeney
11:08, Sat 21 Nov
Any idea if the players are all onboard with AK compared to previous seasons so-called mutinies?
As fans do we just need to suck it up and accept that this season is a write-off and will be pretty dull but it's necessary for the club going forward?
11:17, Sat 21 Nov
Sunjic needs a spell on the sidelines. GG would be far more influential alongside MSJ.

Interestingly, the times there was quick ball there was a lack of bodies in the box. Anyone that remembers the Reading team from a few years ago will recall that they quickly flooded the box in attacks and regained their individual positions quickly afterwards.

I am bored of this style of play already, wingers cutting in 30 yards out - constantly hitting switch balls across the field - its so easy to defend against.

I don't care how long AK has been in place, it's currently not good enough.

Gary Rowett once made a vary valid point when asked on his preferred tactics, play to the strengths of the squad that you have. I know AK has chopped and changed a back 3 etc. I just don't think he knows what to do.
11:39, Sat 21 Nov

[almajir.net]

Daniel ... "There can be no denial that Mr King hasn’t sunk millions into the club –"

I think you meant to say "There can be no denial that Mr King HAS sunk millions into the club –"

..ie he HAS done so rather than he HASN'T done so
11:47, Sat 21 Nov
Foxtrot Oscar
Gary Rowett once made a vary valid point when asked on his preferred tactics, play to the strengths of the squad that you have. I know AK has chopped and changed a back 3 etc. I just don't think he knows what to do.

Absolutely.

What are the attacking strengths of this squad?

- Juke is a fantastic target man and header of the ball

- Bela has a fantastic right foot cross

- Sanchez has a fantastic left foot cross

- Hogan is a great 18 yard box poacher and thrives with a good target man.

- Sunjic and Gary Gardner both have great stamina and tenacity, both can carry the ball.

- MSJ keeps the ball well, is good in the air and gets around the pitch.

For me from the above its blindingly obvious what we should do.

Juke and Hogan as a traditional front two partnership. Sanchez on the left getting to the byline to cross, Bela on the right doing the same. Sunjic and/or Gardner in the middle providing box to box midfield support.

You could even go 352 with MSJ sitting behind the two of them with Bela and Sanchez playing as wingers, rather than full backs in a 532.

Our best chance of a goal is a cross into the box, let's set up to get crosses in the box. You don't need a coaching badge to see that.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
11:52, Sat 21 Nov
This was Zolas downfall, immediately playing to a football ideology rather than a team strengths.

If it is a 3 year plan then it should be a 3 year plan for us all and involve evolutionary rather than revolutionary tactics.
12:51, Sat 21 Nov
regards Mr King and his money pouring into the team - and forgive me i don’t pretend to understand BCFC finances one bit - but at what cost to the Club (which is all I care about)?

Mr King is no “Dave Whelan or Jack Blackburn Man whose nameescapes me, benefactor”

he’s no Sawiris Eden’s “we don’t care we’ve got so much money we may as well set fire to it and wipe out all of Astons debts while we’re doing it” because all i see is that he and his chronies have saddled our club with £100m’s of debt that only Premier League promotion would possibly salvage - and we are so, so far away from that right now

the investment and return is a disaster

this above all anything (albeit the fact we can’t pass, shoot, score and are so slow annoys me but i’m hoping this can be fixed) disturbs me the most and makes me fear for our Club