13:11, Sat 21 Nov
Bit geeky, one for the purists.

Bought my first 4K TV and couldn't put my finger on what was off with it.

Turned out it was something called motion smoothing, that even Tom Cruise is pissed off about.

Made some shows near unwatchable.

Have turned the settings off now but still notice the odd bit in some shows. Am considering sending my TV back and just having my old 1080p TV.

Anyone else had this problem?
Youtube video not working for me chap.
13:16, Sat 21 Nov
Soap opera effect.
It's adding frames in based on the last frame to give you a feeling of 'more frames per second' or smoothed motion.

In gaming frames per second is good. Although this setting should be off for Movies. They are meant to be delivered at 24fps for that cinematic effect and motion smoothing makes you feel like your watching an episode of EastEnders with Tom Cruise in it.

Turn it off. In fact.... usually depending on your telly and how good the post processing effects are you should turn it all off.

Motion smoothing irritates the tits off me. Some people can't tell the difference. I notice it immediately.

That said....there's some scenarios where it works. Football /sport in general.
13:32, Sat 21 Nov
It's mostly a 'gaming' setting.
A lot of 4k tvs are also designed for use with the latest consoles. My gaming PC (for eg) has anti blurring, zero latency, different levels of refresh rate and g sync, anti tearing settings etc etc. It can be quite baffling and some are better left off. Just go on geek forums for your particular tv and ask for optimum settings - what I do tbh, saves a lot of trial and error.
13:35, Sat 21 Nov
Is this the thing where it makes a film look like it would in the rushes (before it has been edited)? I hate it and the wife refuses to get a new telly because of it. In my foolishness I didn't realise you could turn it off. Great, I've got something to come at the wife with now.
13:37, Sat 21 Nov
Yes it's all in the settings, which are becoming more and more complicated as the features improve. Just have to do your research.
13:39, Sat 21 Nov
It's mostly a 'gaming' setting.
A lot of 4k tvs are also designed for use with the latest consoles. My gaming PC (for eg) has anti blurring, zero latency, different levels of refresh rate and g sync, anti tearing settings etc etc. It can be quite baffling and some are better left off. Just go on geek forums for your particular tv and ask for optimum settings - what I do tbh, saves a lot of trial and error.

I think some people say they like it on with games ....but because it's adding artificial frame in per second, if your game has stutter or screen tearing, motion smoothing actually makes it worse, as you're adding another frame 'based on the last frame'. So it's like doubling up on the screen tearing effect.

Although the arguement is it does make a 30fps look like it's running at 60fps for games.
13:44, Sat 21 Nov
It's hit and miss tbh, depends on tv and what film/game your playing.
On my PC it doesn't really effect me, monitor is 144hz refresh rate and graphics card has g sync which automatically matches FPS to refresh rate, so I'm regularly getting 110-115 frames per second in games. TV's are different though as most will only refresh at 60hz.
13:51, Sat 21 Nov
Yeah if your monitor supports higher refresh rates you're golden.

TVs most of them don't even support 120 let alone higher unless your wallet is healthy haha.

Circa 60 FPS 4k gaming for me on the Xbox one X over Christmas is more than I need for now. My TV supports HDR.

I'll pick up a series X when it's on offer for 250 quid with 2 games or something and maybe get a new telly to suit.
13:56, Sat 21 Nov
Stetchy the lads tV was only a couple of hundred quid from Tesco or AO (can't remember) it's a 4k smart that supports HDR10+. as you say, you are paying big money for a 120hz panel - but tbh having watched him, 4k and 60hz is still lush - no need to rush out for a 120 now as it just doesn't warrant the expense, imo.
14:01, Sat 21 Nov
I agree. I'm using a flippin 4 year old Philips ambilight. 43 inch one.

It's got HDR10 and 4k. Does the job. Looks great.

A 1900 quid Samsung telly would knock socks off it. Do I care ? Naa.
14:23, Sat 21 Nov
👍
15:49, Sat 21 Nov
Bluesince62
Yes it's all in the settings, which are becoming more and more complicated as the features improve. Just have to do your research.

👍