14:06, Sun 29 Nov
The emphasis is more on solidifying the midfield than the defence, now he has to just get the mix right to get more of a spark out of the bastards. He'll do it, but it takes time.
14:11, Sun 29 Nov
bluer than blues
number8
He has got a free pass for this season I'm afraid, like it or not.

He doesn't get a free pass from me. I agree he needs more time and I'll not be calling for his head at the end of the season if we stay up with little improvement but... I will certainly judge him on what he does this season.

I stated on other threads what Rowett did within his first five games with us - and we were utter garbage when he arrived, at least equal to or worse than what Pep left. Monk also came in and had an instant impact. There is an argument that both became stagnant (although I think both were cut short by an oppressive board) and perhaps AK's slow method may bear more fruitful results. Personally, I believe he should be showing, certainly, within the season whole, a good degree of improvement in both the players we have and the playing style he curates and I will judge him accordingly.

Great post.

Things looked bleak after the 8-0 drubbing from Bournemouth and Rowett came in and had to go away to Wolves who IIRC were playing to go top. He had to rely on players like Koby Arthur and Brek Shea and if my memory serves me, we could've beat them but got the draw.

Then we played Watford who were top of the league and beat them.

You could argue that it was rarity and not every manager would have that sort of extreme affect, but it doesn't mean that by default Karanka gets a complete pass for the next year.

Should he go? Absolutely not. Should we be able to question the game management and lack of any sort of attempt at winning a game of football? Absolutely.
14:39, Sun 29 Nov

I definitely wouldn’t sack him, but as football is meant to be an ‘entertainment’, we have every right to criticise what’s on display at the moment.

Being pedantic but it's not meant to be an entertainment, it's purpose is to be a competitive sport. People have chosen to go along and be entertained by it.

The fact we are barely competitive is obviously a different matter 🙂
We have been reigning champions of the South for nearly 75 years and nobody talks about it. Why?
17:05, Sun 29 Nov
Fat Buddha
Monk and Rowett adapted the side very quickly to use the limited strengths of the players they had at their disposal to best effect for short term gain, i.e to keep us up. I reckon I will get shot down for saying this but I think Karanka is trying to do more than just that and genuinely build an approach and style for the mid term and sustained success. He has simply realised that he doesn’t yet have the players to do so and it will take time. But he isn’t willing to simply change it all up and go for short term wins as he doesn’t need to yet because he has no pressure on him to do so.

I'm more or less with you. Aitor is effing about because he has to, to see which players can consistently do what he wants them to, and, like it or not, we are picking up points.

We'll be alright.

I ageee. We are a million miles off Spurs BUT Mourinho (AK's lode star) did the same....a lot of tedium initially but is now bearing fruit.
17:26, Sun 29 Nov
Haircut1000
Fat Buddha
Monk and Rowett adapted the side very quickly to use the limited strengths of the players they had at their disposal to best effect for short term gain, i.e to keep us up. I reckon I will get shot down for saying this but I think Karanka is trying to do more than just that and genuinely build an approach and style for the mid term and sustained success. He has simply realised that he doesn’t yet have the players to do so and it will take time. But he isn’t willing to simply change it all up and go for short term wins as he doesn’t need to yet because he has no pressure on him to do so.

I'm more or less with you. Aitor is effing about because he has to, to see which players can consistently do what he wants them to, and, like it or not, we are picking up points.

We'll be alright.

I ageee. We are a million miles off Spurs BUT Mourinho (AK's lode star) did the same....a lot of tedium initially but is now bearing fruit.

How is Karanka’s approach ‘now bearing fruit’?

We just play ultra-defensively, aided by a much better goalkeeper. That’s merely extreme caution, surely?
17:31, Sun 29 Nov
He is talking about Mourinho
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
17:33, Sun 29 Nov
My bad!😁
18:19, Sun 29 Nov
Spurs have shown less attacking intent than we did yesterday.
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
18:31, Sun 29 Nov
Didn't realise they were at home against Millwall too 😛
20:13, Sun 29 Nov
Fat Buddha
The emphasis is more on solidifying the midfield than the defence, now he has to just get the mix right to get more of a spark out of the bastards. He'll do it, but it takes time.[/quote

He's definitely solidified us to the extent he picks strikers who can defend set pieces the best
21:43, Sun 29 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
All clubs like players who work hard.
That alone isn’t enough as is shown by this board

This. It’s not enough. But it’s a start. And it’s a prerequisite. Which it hasn’t been at St Andrews for many players in recent times. So we want that first. And there is nothing wrong with wanting it and it’s not exclusive. And wanting that doesn’t mean it’s all we are about. Then we want more. We want and like entertaining football, but mostly we want to be competitive and win.
21:51, Sun 29 Nov
👍