09:10, Sun 29 Nov
I do think there is a over exaggeration of just how much AK needed to improve us defensively. Under Pep pre lockdown we had a couple of oddities (WBA and Leeds) but the prevailing issue was our disorganisation and goals conceded from set pieces which was Pep’s achilies heel.

After lockdown everything went wrong. We feel into a complacency that those games were dead rubbers from the board shipping out the squad players, a manager working his notice and a collective drop in the teams form and at least initially motivation.

Comparing AK to a November 2019 version of this team and Pep and there is little doubt we have gone backwards with a squad which is on paper far better. We have gone from a 5/10 championship team to a 3/10
09:17, Sun 29 Nov
I don’t know if we have gone backwards or not but what I want to know is how long it takes all these good coaches to improve a player. 1game? 10? 25? 15 seasons?

Has Aitor had a fair crack f the whip?
09:18, Sun 29 Nov
Hard to argue with that tbh.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
09:27, Sun 29 Nov
I’m so sick of being a lower mid-table championship team, 10 years finishing from 10th to 21st is just sucking the soul and enjoyment out of supporting Blues and now we have to endure such negative football which even Tony Pulis would frown upon.

As others have said on other threads, Karanka can get away with this stuff while there’s no fans. His comments about not setting up offensively yesterday cause we would lose is alarming. 1 on shot on target at home to Millwall and we nearly lost it at the end anyway.

Maybe we just have to let him do his thing until we’re allowed back in, then we can make our frustrations heard which might encourage him to adopt a more offensive approach.

I definitely wouldn’t sack him, but as football is meant to be an ‘entertainment’, we have every right to criticise what’s on display at the moment.
09:55, Sun 29 Nov
That is exactly what we are a lower championship team, nowhere near the top six & too close to the bottom three on a consistent basis.

We are the proverbial 'piggies in the middle' & have absolutely zero momentum - promoted teams have a 'bounce' of getting up & you know the relegated clubs will have a squad more than capable to 'give it a right good go'

We get all sorts of coaches in & then within seemingly a blink of an eye turf them out for whatever reason & no improvement to our status as a lower championship team.

Will it end soon ?? I doubt it, because people just don't seem to have the patience for it to try & work, so round & round we go.

Division one will soon be our new home.
09:58, Sun 29 Nov
7th December 2019. 20 games in.

8 wins, 22 goals scored 26 conceded. 13th position. 28 points.

There were a lot of teams worse defensively than us. Very few teams who had scored less. Would it not have made more sense to bring in an attack minded manager to improve our offensive football rather than AK?
10:06, Sun 29 Nov
Don’t expect sense too often whilst we have Dong and our Board in charge
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
10:44, Sun 29 Nov
He has got a free pass for this season I'm afraid, like it or not. To be fair to AK no one could have come into this club after an abominable post lockdown season, a threadbare squad without significant money to spend, as well as a truncated pre season into two games a week and done much more than make us solid and harder to beat.

I am just as bored shitless as everyone else is at how we approach games at the minute. I agree that he wouldn't get away with this if fans were in. I also have doubts the approach will change that much if/when he gets the players into a settled formation (we desperately need a striker and I don't believe Hogan was his choice).

But if we accept all the "project" talk, he has to have more time and a couple of windows. Yes, you'd think with the squad we have we could do better than one shot on target at home v Millwall. We are dull as eff to watch. It pains me that we have been out of even the play offs for a decade and show no real signs of changing that at present.

I think we need to look at this time next year - even if the rest of this season is a grind (likely) - and if we are still treating every point as a prisoner then, I think he'll end up going one way or another. Until then I think we have to suck it up, though I believe he can be criticised because at the moment I dont think in 45 years we have ever been as boring to watch. We've been shitter, but never as dull.
10:47, Sun 29 Nov
Monk and Rowett adapted the side very quickly to use the limited strengths of the players they had at their disposal to best effect for short term gain, i.e to keep us up. I reckon I will get shot down for saying this but I think Karanka is trying to do more than just that and genuinely build an approach and style for the mid term and sustained success. He has simply realised that he doesn’t yet have the players to do so and it will take time. But he isn’t willing to simply change it all up and go for short term wins as he doesn’t need to yet because he has no pressure on him to do so.

Nailed. He is a strong willed individual, don't think he caves in to pressure easily and will insist the team play how he wants them to, not vice versa. In that way, Monk and Rowett were far more pragmatic than Karanka is.
11:10, Sun 29 Nov
And if owners stick to their guns of a 3 year project so be it.

However post lockdown we really have no idea how crowds will go after the likely initial euphoria of getting back to the ground and the pub. This brand of football may be too much for some to stomach especially now the habit of going to games and economic recessions take impact around the country.

Will the owners be so staunch in brand Karanka when crowds fall off a cliff?
11:13, Sun 29 Nov
A million dollar question. I think it all hinges on results - people will stomach turgid football if you're winning. Eck's promotion season showed that. If we are mid table playing this stuff, AK wont last.
11:18, Sun 29 Nov
Shows this type of football isn’t what our fans want and demand though. It’s not in our DNA, no matter how many times it’s said it is
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
11:24, Sun 29 Nov
I dont think this current brand of football is what anyone wants. It's not progressive in any way. I think Blues fans would be fine with possession football with a threat at the end of it but this is a million miles from that.
DES
11:28, Sun 29 Nov
number8
A million dollar question. I think it all hinges on results - people will stomach turgid football if you're winning. Eck's promotion season showed that. If we are mid table playing this stuff, AK wont last.
I didn’t find Alex’s promo season Turgid BECAUSE we were winning.

Kro
11:29, Sun 29 Nov
WorcsBlues
That is exactly what we are a lower championship team, nowhere near the top six & too close to the bottom three on a consistent basis.

We are the proverbial 'piggies in the middle' & have absolutely zero momentum - promoted teams have a 'bounce' of getting up & you know the relegated clubs will have a squad more than capable to 'give it a right good go'

We get all sorts of coaches in & then within seemingly a blink of an eye turf them out for whatever reason & no improvement to our status as a lower championship team.

Will it end soon ?? I doubt it, because people just don't seem to have the patience for it to try & work, so round & round we go.

Division one will soon be our new home.

Do you mean League One? Division One is the proper name for what is now known as the Premier League.