18:17, Sun 10 Jan
Deeney did the same at Watford a few seasons ago. Total miskick. Loud derision and then he scored anyway.
DES
18:20, Sun 10 Jan
Tam, I think Blackpool as 71, I was working and got finished early, raced up there with bro & a mate.
Parked right outside turnstiles and got in for kick off!

Do you recall the home game? Trev rocketed in a free kick from 40 yards out!
Best away win was @ hillsborough that season 2.1 win which put us in second place.

Kro
18:24, Sun 10 Jan
DES
DES
Tam, I think Blackpool as 71, I was working and got finished early, raced up there with bro & a mate.
Parked right outside turnstiles and got in for kick off!

Do you recall the home game? Trev rocketed in a free kick from 40 yards out!
Best away win was @ hillsborough that season 2.1 win which put us in second place.

Kro

Could well have been '71 DES, yes. I've still got the programme somewhere. There were plenty of Blues fans on the terrace at the side of the pitch, I remember that. I was living up there at the time, so couldn't get to that many matches at home, as I was only eleven. I had to make the most of away matches unless we were visiting relatives. It did give me the opportunity to see Blues at Maine Rd, Old Trafford, etc, though - half the time I used to go on my own, or with a mate who was the same age. Bus into Bolton, then bus into Manchester, Liverpool, or Burnley, Blackburn, Preston, wherever - all good fun, apart from usually the result.
The Belle of St. Trillions
18:27, Sun 10 Jan
DES
Sunderland 5th round Cup Replay 2004, we were premier league and bloody good, Sunderland were division below. Lost 2-0. Had Sheffield United waiting in the next round who were also division below, then it would have been Millwall in the semis, who were division below as well. We should’ve made the final that year.

A better memory is Doncaster away 2014, 1-0 down at half time and staring relegation in the face. 10 minutes into the second half 20-30 blues fans came out of the concourse doing a conga, it lifted the whole atmosphere and we scored 3 in no time.
18:34, Sun 10 Jan
TresorLuntala
Sunderland 5th round Cup Replay 2004, we were premier league and bloody good, Sunderland were division below. Lost 2-0. Had Sheffield United waiting in the next round who were also division below, then it would have been Millwall in the semis, who were division below as well. We should’ve made the final that year.

A better memory is Doncaster away 2014, 1-0 down at half time and staring relegation in the face. 10 minutes into the second half 20-30 blues fans came out of the concourse doing a conga, it lifted the whole atmosphere and we scored 3 in no time.

I always think that the Sunderland fixture was when Bruce started on the downhill slope as Blues manager. I know he was here for a few years after that, of course. In the first game, we played some good stuff, with Forssell scoring a lovely skilful goal, but went to pieces after that and were lucky to bring it back to St Andrews. The replay was a shambles - by the time I'd got in the ground (as there seemed to be a mass cock up with seating, and we were eventually marched round to sit by the Sunderland fans), Dunn had already been stretchered of with an exploding hamstring. It was bloody cold that night, and when Kyle Lafferty(?) scored their second in extra time (have I got that right?) I was bloody relieved because it didn't have to go to penalties.

A few days before was the 2-2 at Villa Park, but I thought Blues looked a tired side after that, and deservedly lost that replay. I think we struggled the season after and went down in 2006 with one of the most spineless Blues squads that I can remember.
18:38, Sun 10 Jan
It was Tommy Smith who got both I think.
You’re bang on about Bruce’s time going downhills after that though
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
18:40, Sun 10 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
It was Tommy Smith who got both I think.
You’re bang on about Bruce’s time going downhills after that though

Yes you're right, and I was thinking of Kevin Kyle as well! Bleeding great lump. It really was a watershed moment - we looked tired in the scond half at Sunderland, tired at VP, and went out of that tie in the replay with an absolute whimper.
19:12, Sun 10 Jan
Weren’t we down to a barebones squad? Typical of the Gollivans - penny wise pound foolish. With a smidgeon of the amount they lavished on West Ham, we would never have been relegated in the 2000s at all, and we were even nudging Europe on occasion.
20:20, Sun 10 Jan
I still think losing David Dunn half-way through the first half was the reason we lost that game.

But you're right, what an opportunity missed to get to the Semis at least.
20:25, Sun 10 Jan
montypenguin
I still think losing David Dunn half-way through the first half was the reason we lost that game.

But you're right, what an opportunity missed to get to the Semis at least.

Possibly so - you'd have thought so with his ability. I thought we looked off in the first game up there (in the second half) and tired at Villa, and hopeless in the Sunderland replay. Bruce's star (and the teams) didn't seem to shine so brightly after that. I've always (rightly or wrongly) pinpointed that little flurry of games as when Bruce began to lose hi touch with us. We'd been fourth at one point that season, too.
20:25, Sun 10 Jan
The 2-0 defeat to Barnsley under Cotterill always sticks with me, not for the shit performance but because that was the game where he threw the players completely under the boss on the radio saying it don’t matter if he’s replaced.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
22:38, Sun 10 Jan
5-2 vs ManUre at Stans in the late 70s, I think.

From memory Buckley and Givens were among the scorers in a decidedly average Blues team that somehow had a brilliant day when Man U had a terrible one.

The Kop was packed and rocking.

Will never forget it.
I pink therefore I ham
23:13, Sun 10 Jan
Think it was 5-1 and our first win of the season, ended up getting relegated
Bordesley not Small Heath
Losing 1-0 to walsall, a Trevor christie flick on from a corner, in the fa cup in 80s, when the cup mattered.

Short Walk back to station with all the other Blues fans in complete silence.

Beating Walsall in the FA Cup 2-1 1975 nearly 46,000.....then beating Middlesbrough 1-0 in the Quarter Finals in front of over 47,000.... I really thought it was to be our year..... then it all went tits up in the Semi Final replay
05:54, Mon 11 Jan
2 days on and poor old Spike is still writing his list.
We have been reigning champions of the South for nearly 75 years and nobody talks about it. Why?