Phillips
Osram
General Electric
Sylvania
Crompton
Arora.
20:57, Tue 12 Jan
Kristoff
I'm probably talking out of my arse, but does the reaction of powering a bulb on not cause some kind of reaction that produces a small amount of gas or something?

If that's the case, could the glass have come loose and then the minor reaction nudged it out?

Careful. You could get the job of rebuilding the Kop...
09:42, Wed 13 Jan
Kristoff
I'm probably talking out of my arse, but does the reaction of powering a bulb on not cause some kind of reaction that produces a small amount of gas or something?

If that's the case, could the glass have come loose and then the minor reaction nudged it out?

That sounds plausible. One of the noble gases?

My first thought was it could have overheated, but the bulb dropped as soon as I turned the switch on, so it had no time to warm up.
10:41, Wed 13 Jan
Since the Tories have been in power the standard of light bulbs has plummeted. This is due to Boris taking us out of the EU , this type of incident is unheard of in Germany for example. I personally would write to the guardian.
11:01, Wed 13 Jan
Done a bit of Googling. Seems that some bulbs are filled with argon and that carbon dioxide could be produced as the filament is lit.
11:20, Wed 13 Jan
Kristoff
Done a bit of Googling. Seems that some bulbs are filled with argon and that carbon dioxide could be produced as the filament is lit.

Very illuminating!