22:07, Sat 16 Jan
mad
Piled up like that the snow would be Main Stand side.
I don’t reckon your mate could have seen eff all.
It’s good to tell a tale though
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
mad
22:12, Sat 16 Jan
Wasn't the very very old main stand damaged by firefighters during WW2? Or was that just the Kop roof?
22:15, Sat 16 Jan
mad
Tried to put a fire out with petrol rather than water 😂
[www.birminghammail.co.uk]
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
22:19, Sat 16 Jan
It was the Main Stand, yes. January 1942 - the nightwatchman, who I believe had moved to Brum from Sheffield, decided to put a brazier out by chucking a bucket of petrol over it. In hindsight, not the best idea. I did know the chap's nephew(or great nephew) at one time.
The Belle of St. Trillions
22:30, Sat 16 Jan
mad
mad
Wasn't the very very old main stand damaged by firefighters during WW2? Or was that just the Kop roof?

I was always under the impression it was The Kop.

The link below shows some quite harrowing pictures of the damage caused during the Birmingham Blitz including pictures of The Kop.

[www.birminghammail.co.uk]
mad
22:31, Sat 16 Jan
Got it now. You can make out where the Tilton joins the Main Stand and appearing above the snow covered roof is a building which I thought might've been the Bingo Hall but must be the school building at top end of Tilton Rd over the Garrison Lane. Chap I spoke to last year seemed genuine. Described catching trams out to a cinema past Bordesley Green and all the bonfires people lit with all the rubbish in the roads between the bombed out buildings for several years afterwards.

Imagine if that Kop had been all round the ground it would've been 100,000 capacity. Think it was 75,000 as it was with that really narrow stand at the Railway End. Pitch a lot bigger than it is now ought to have been good practice for Wembley really
mad
22:34, Sat 16 Jan
I'm guessing the Kop got bombed. Hitler was a dvb after all. The old old main stand got burnt down by firefighters. Lots of club records went up in smoke so they say but clearly they knocked something fairly substantial back up by 1947 and then replaced it again in the 1950's with the main stand we've got now.

Or maybe in 1945/46 the terrace in front of the gutted old old main stand survived and they just plonked a roof on top hastily and the remnants of a tunnel survived for the players to run out from.
22:42, Sat 16 Jan
mad
mad
I'm guessing the Kop got bombed. Hitler was a dvb after all. The old old main stand got burnt down by firefighters. Lots of club records went up in smoke so they say but clearly they knocked something fairly substantial back up by 1947 and then replaced it again in the 1950's with the main stand we've got now.

Or maybe in 1945/46 the terrace in front of the gutted old old main stand survived and they just plonked a roof on top hastily and the remnants of a tunnel survived for the players to run out from.

Looking at those pictures in the link I posted I'd agree. 23 is definitely The Kop and as the grass bank was behind that would make 24 The Main Stand.
10:58, Sun 17 Jan
Just imagine that game going ahead today, a couple of flakes on a pavement within a 2 mile radius and thats it.

I like the way the policeman does not even flinch when hit by a snowball.

I was not born until 67 but remember games at Blues in the 70s and early 80s with snow and the pitch virtually frozen, no problem, clear the lines and get the yellow ball out.
Turn left when you get on a plane.
11:06, Sun 17 Jan
Fantastic footage thanks mate - Kop with no roof - it'll look like that again soon unless they do the repairs. Loved the rozzer getting snowballed 😁
11:18, Sun 17 Jan
Scenes... Looks like Reading or Arsenal fans stood applauding the goal 🤣

And to see how different it was.
11:53, Sun 17 Jan
ShoNuffIDo
mad

Looking at those pictures in the link I posted I'd agree. 23 is definitely The Kop and as the grass bank was behind that would make 24 The Main Stand.

I'm afraid it's not, both pictures are the Main Stand, if you look closely at picture 23, you can just see the Railway End Corner. (The Part which lasted right up until 1998 and housed the Disabled supporters in the early 90's)
12:14, Sun 17 Jan
73 years , great bit of nostalgia, my mom & dad would have been 25 ish when that was filmed , both grew up in Digbeth
DES
12:57, Sun 17 Jan
1947, my Dad reckoned that was coldest winter he ever knew, and Coal was rationed BRRRRR.

Great bit of film, I koved it.

KRO
15:18, Sun 17 Jan
mad
I'm afraid it's not, both pictures are the Main Stand, if you look closely at picture 23, you can just see the Railway End Corner. (The Part which lasted right up until 1998 and housed the Disabled supporters in the early 90's)

I stand corrected ....good spot and much clearer on Laptop rather than Phone. I know there was one of the Kop damage which was included in The Kop Lives on. The memorial booklet published during the 90s development.