16:10, Mon 13 Sep
SteveCherry
If Phillips was actually as good as Bellingham, he wouldn't be playing for Leeds.

man city are allegedly looking at him.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
16:18, Mon 13 Sep
Whereas, Bellingham is already playing for one the world's top club sides on a regular basis. Phillips is great to a certain standard and then ala yesterday, the moment he comes up against the likes of Tiago and Henderson in tandem, he's pretty anonymous. Make no mistake, it could have and probably should have been 6 or7 yesterday.
She's playing with fire, he''s not ready for nibbly pig...
16:34, Mon 13 Sep
Phillips was specifically targeted by klopp because he knew how important and pivotal he is for leeds. he's a very good player and i can see him moving to a top club pretty soon. a lot of teams need a phillips type player.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
16:35, Mon 13 Sep
Swap Philips for Fabinho/Thiago and the result is the same tbf.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
16:37, Mon 13 Sep
You will never see Phillis do to top flight players what Bellingham did to those Hoffenheim defenders a couple of weeks ago. That's the point, the difference, you can try and shut Bellingham down, doing it, is a whole other story.
16:42, Mon 13 Sep
I'm not saying Bellingham isnt a fantastic player. It was you who suggested Phillips wasnt that good as he only played for leeds.
16:46, Mon 13 Sep
That is the point, if he were on the same level as Bellingham he'd have been poached 2-3 years ago.
16:51, Mon 13 Sep
Eh? Players improve at different rates and at different times. Bellingham is an exceptional talent who has maturity way beyond his years. But that doesnt mean because Phillips wasnt at the same level 3 years ago he's not a very good player.
16:59, Mon 13 Sep
SteveCherry
You will never see Phillis do to top flight players what Bellingham did to those Hoffenheim defenders a couple of weeks ago. That's the point, the difference, you can try and shut Bellingham down, doing it, is a whole other story.
Playing in different positions tbf and are different players. Southgate wants 2 holding midfielders, Bellingham is a box to box midfielder rather than a holder. I agree we’d benefit from Bellingham playing though
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
16:59, Mon 13 Sep
If Phillips had shown the sort of ability that said "Top flight top six team for ten years" he'd have been poached by Spurs, Everton Arsenal or even Dortmund 2-3 year ago. He's a decant player in a position England are short of at international level. Even Southgate himself has openly said "We play the way we do cos I don't currently have the players to play how I want to". Given we have seriously decent defenders and forwards, he's talking about midfield.
17:55, Mon 13 Sep
Charcy
He should really be blooding Bellingham with the other first team players in some of these games.

We have a better chance of winning the World Cup with Bellingham starting that Philips and we should be building for that.

Agreed, don't know who I'd partner him with though. Not a fan of the two shielding in Rice/Phillips.
18:03, Mon 13 Sep
When I said I preferred Chong I wasn't trying to be clever or a contrarian. I meant it.

I may well be wrong but I can only go on what I've seen with my own eyes.

I've yet to see him really boss a game, change his pace, glide past someone, bulldozed past someone, do something that other good players can't do.

I'm not judging him on his potential or his age, I'm judging him on what he offers now.
18:04, Mon 13 Sep
Bellingham should and will be playing with one of either imo, next season I'd have thought. Personally right now it'd be Jude and Phillips for me but Rice is almost as good as Phillips so no real problems.
18:07, Mon 13 Sep
Micky Darrell
When I said I preferred Chong I wasn't trying to be clever or a contrarian. I meant it.

I may well be wrong but I can only go on what I've seen with my own eyes.

I've yet to see him really boss a game, change his pace, glide past someone, bulldozed past someone, do something that other good players can't do.

I'm not judging him on his potential or his age, I'm judging him on what he offers now.
Yeah I think you may well be wrong
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
18:08, Mon 13 Sep
I watched a Dortmund game on a Friday a few weeks ago and he did all of that, he ran the game