15:16, Mon 13 Sep
Sounds highly annoying. I'm a very laid back person but I'm not sure I'd have the patience.
15:44, Mon 13 Sep
Le Mod
Homer
Micky Darrell
There was a match at the Albion a couple of months ago. There was a penalty, the player hit the post with the keeper going the other way, the ball rebounded back and the penalty taker screwed it wide.

I can't remember if it was the commentator or the ex-player but one of them said – it wouldn't have counted because the ref has blown up but I can't really see why.

An opposition player has to touch it before the team taking the penalty can touch it again.

Not quite right, anyone can touch it next apart from player who took the penalty (because that'd be classed as a 'double touch')

Eg. Deeney takes pen, hits post, Deeney cannot be the next player to touch it otherwise it's a free kick to the defending team, every other player on the pitch is free to touch it. Hogan could put in the rebound for example.

I'm probably well out of touch but I can't think of an example where a player has hit the post, it has come back to him and he has passed it to a team mate because he knew he couldn't score himself
15:45, Mon 13 Sep
Newbs
Le Mod
Homer
Micky Darrell
There was a match at the Albion a couple of months ago. There was a penalty, the player hit the post with the keeper going the other way, the ball rebounded back and the penalty taker screwed it wide.

I can't remember if it was the commentator or the ex-player but one of them said – it wouldn't have counted because the ref has blown up but I can't really see why.

An opposition player has to touch it before the team taking the penalty can touch it again.

Not quite right, anyone can touch it next apart from player who took the penalty (because that'd be classed as a 'double touch')

Eg. Deeney takes pen, hits post, Deeney cannot be the next player to touch it otherwise it's a free kick to the defending team, every other player on the pitch is free to touch it. Hogan could put in the rebound for example.

I'm probably well out of touch but I can't think of an example where a player has hit the post, it has come back to him and he has passed it to a team mate because he knew he couldn't score himself

He wouldn't do that because by passing it it'd be a double touch and a free kick, the taker can't touch it first after it hits the bar/post

I have seen pen takers move out of the way of the ball when it's come back off the bar/post so that a team mate can strike the rebound, but it is rare
15:52, Mon 13 Sep
Le Mod
Newbs
Le Mod
Homer
Micky Darrell

He wouldn't do that because by passing it it'd be a double touch and a free kick, the taker can't touch it first after it hits the bar/post

I have seen pen takers move out of the way of the ball when it's come back off the bar/post so that a team mate can strike the rebound, but it is rare

God yeah, sorry, being thick!!
15:57, Mon 13 Sep
Le Mod
Newbs
Le Mod
Homer
Micky Darrell

Henry tried rolling his studs over the ball for Pires (I think) to score but they effed it up for Arsenal at Highbury I think. Not seen it tried since
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
15:59, Mon 13 Sep
Barca did that more successfully a few years ago

16:03, Mon 13 Sep
A couple of more recent examples, one done properly:
Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can’t face reality
16:14, Mon 13 Sep
Le Mod
Homer
Micky Darrell

it was surprising the ex-player didn't know this.
16:38, Mon 13 Sep
Le Mod
Not knowing the laws is quite common, you get it a lot down the Blues too, most common ones:

People screaming offside from throw-ins
People screaming offside from Goal kicks
People screaming that the majority of the ball is over the quadrant on a corner

Yes I get those ones - but the basic ones, like 'I got the ball first' or 'why is that a foul when you didn't give the same thing over there' for two different things.

A lad tried a slide tackle from behind on a player who had got away from him, missed him completely and the lad with the ball carried on running. The manager 'Thats a foul ref, intent!'. I'm not going to give a free kick for a foul because he didn't touch him and the player carried on with the ball anyway, so even if it was a foul it would be an advantage.

But then a player from his team does a slide tackle that causes the opposition player to jump over him, and he then loses the ball, and I blow up that *is* a foul and a free kick, and the manager goes potty on the sidelines because to him it's the same as the other one.

I'm not going to spend 5 minutes explaining the law, so I just have to shrug it off but the manager marks you down then and spends the rest of the game arguing every thing you do.

Anyway they should make players do the refs course.

You have my utmost admiration. It was bad enough being a coach to my lads U11s side, the amount of ignorance shown by parents and other coaches, frankly, astonished me. Anyone who decides to become a ref is both mad and heroic
16:46, Mon 13 Sep
Micky Darrell
Le Mod
Homer
Micky Darrell

it was surprising the ex-player didn't know this.
Not really
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
17:12, Mon 13 Sep
Bluesince62
Le Mod
Not knowing the laws is quite common, you get it a lot down the Blues too, most common ones:

Yes I get those ones - but the basic ones, like 'I got the ball first' or 'why is that a foul when you didn't give the same thing over there' for two different things.

A lad tried a slide tackle from behind on a player who had got away from him, missed him completely and the lad with the ball carried on running. The manager 'Thats a foul ref, intent!'. I'm not going to give a free kick for a foul because he didn't touch him and the player carried on with the ball anyway, so even if it was a foul it would be an advantage.

But then a player from his team does a slide tackle that causes the opposition player to jump over him, and he then loses the ball, and I blow up that *is* a foul and a free kick, and the manager goes potty on the sidelines because to him it's the same as the other one.

I'm not going to spend 5 minutes explaining the law, so I just have to shrug it off but the manager marks you down then and spends the rest of the game arguing every thing you do.

You have my utmost admiration. It was bad enough being a coach to my lads U11s side, the amount of ignorance shown by parents and other coaches, frankly, astonished me. Anyone who decides to become a ref is both mad and heroic

I was a ref from 16-21, mainly at Wast Hills with Vic Callow. (Michael Oliver used to run the line for me weirdly).

Anyway, when not at the blues - I would ref Sunday league. Vividly remember a game at Harris Brush in Bromsgrove where the home team had a corner and the ball got cleared. Anyway, as the teams left the penalty area to follow the ball up the pitch, I spotted a defender punching an attacker round the back of the head, about a yard in the box. The ball was now towards the other end of the pitch.

I blew up, gave a pelanty and sent the lad off. His coach went mental as me saying I didn’t know the rules and it should be a free kick from where the ball is, not where the offence was committed.

He took his team off for 5 mins, refusing to play unless I changed the decision. It wasn’t until a couple of parents went and took control of the team that they came back on.

Luckily I heard him shout ‘what a c***’, so once the team got back on playing I used the next stoppage in play to go and send him off too.
17:52, Mon 13 Sep
Notts league mate?

Good luck, I did a few seasons at u8 and u9 in Grantham league after a course of 3 evenings. Really tough at that age as most are unable to take throw ins etc.. Coaches and parents behaving as if they're semi pros.

Is Graham still in charge of the Nottingham youth League refs??
20:11, Mon 13 Sep
TinaTractor
Bluesince62
Le Mod

I was a ref from 16-21, mainly at Wast Hills with Vic Callow. (Michael Oliver used to run the line for me weirdly).

Anyway, when not at the blues - I would ref Sunday league. Vividly remember a game at Harris Brush in Bromsgrove where the home team had a corner and the ball got cleared. Anyway, as the teams left the penalty area to follow the ball up the pitch, I spotted a defender punching an attacker round the back of the head, about a yard in the box. The ball was now towards the other end of the pitch.

I blew up, gave a pelanty and sent the lad off. His coach went mental as me saying I didn’t know the rules and it should be a free kick from where the ball is, not where the offence was committed.

He took his team off for 5 mins, refusing to play unless I changed the decision. It wasn’t until a couple of parents went and took control of the team that they came back on.

Luckily I heard him shout ‘what a c***’, so once the team got back on playing I used the next stoppage in play to go and send him off too.

Bit of crap info for you my dad introduced Vic Callow to reffing. There were three of them that then used to ref together two of them went on to become absolute top level refs, reffing First division matches while one gave it up when he got invited on to the league list as he had just had a son - no prizes for guessing who that son was.

As for young refs now, some of them are great the biggest challenge i find is they don't talk to the kids they are refing. They make a decision blow the whistle and leave it to the kids to work out what they have done wrong so don't learn from it.

We had one last week, i was running the line and opposition penalty the kicker ran in to take, closely followed by another player. They scored and told ref there was encroachment, and he said it was ok as they scored - but it was the attacking team encroachig...

Then 5 mins later ball is in the box defender has a wild swing at it ball shoots up in the air keeper catches it - back pass and indirect freekick given, didn't think it was worth asking how he thought the wild swing was a deliberate pass to the keeper but never mind.
BCFC - Letting me down for 49 years
20:47, Mon 13 Sep
I always have and I always will have the utmost respect for match officials. SO many fans can’t wait to criticise them, to tell them that they’re “not fit to referee”- well, without 4 officials, your beloved Blues ain’t playing and, even more so, you wouldn’t bloody do it. So sit down and shut the eff up!
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
21:02, Mon 13 Sep
Vic Callow led the refereeing course that I did when I was 16. Think it was held at Leafield FC. Top bloke.