09:31, Tue 14 Sep
Dear vilers,
Please don't drop Mings.
10:38, Tue 14 Sep
Rab C Nesbitt
Miguelagenn
different fans.

I genuinely used to think that was the case, I always thought we were better than them.

I'm not so sure anymore. If there is still a difference, it's not what it used to be.
I’d say there’s no difference now overall. Sadly

Of course there's a difference, unfortunately our younger fans are spoiling it and closing that gap.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
10:43, Tue 14 Sep
We need more of the old guard who went the villa on the away weekends, they were proper fans.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
11:02, Tue 14 Sep
Unfortunately Football Twitter (and Instagram) is full of edgy teenagers with no lives and blokes with the emotional intelligence of a crisp sandwich.
11:30, Tue 14 Sep
thethinblueline
It’s a social media thing

It's not a generation thing or a social media thing.

Some people are just dicks. There has always been dicks among the populace.

It's just easier for them to spout their dickishness now to more people than it has been before, and because of that and their need for attention they go further and further.
11:35, Tue 14 Sep
Comanche
Unfortunately Football Twitter (and Instagram) is full of edgy teenagers with no lives and blokes with the emotional intelligence of a crisp sandwich.

Having read a lot of the lockdown match threads I conclude there are a lot of people like that on SHA as well.

Some of it was staggering and really didn't reflect well on Blues fans.
11:36, Tue 14 Sep
And the average age on here is 67, so it's not just kids...
11:39, Tue 14 Sep
Chris
And the average age on here is 67, so it's not just kids...

Yep, exactly. I'm pretty sure a lot of the people who were spewing bile were well beyond kid status.

It was just a world of hate...yes, at times - actual hate.
11:58, Tue 14 Sep
I think the entitlement of the younger folks as a generation mixed with expectancy - most of the teens/early 20s now either grew up with us in the premiership or winning the cup - causes this.

Social media proivdes the platform for them to air their entitled views.

I'm more aware of Blues fans I can't relate to via social media than I ever have been before and I think that's just an age thing.

Almost every tweet I see in the transfer window with #bcfc applied to it says something like "announce" or something about a signing. It's beyond frustrating.

That's both a generation and social media side of things.

Thank god for Le Mod as he provides genuine humour on the app.

I'm aware of the fans on Facebook Pages are 'next level' as well.

I guess I can't stay stuck in the tilton sipping my Bovril as Genoa rob us in the Anglo-Italian Cup, can I?

That's probably the problem.

12:23, Tue 14 Sep
It's in part tone of voice. You can't ameliorate a statement with gestures or winks. Also you can't emphasize something by putting stress on a word, so, to stand out in the morass, the language ramps up several notches.

One of the things that was interesting was the media reports about the abuse to the England players. I thought it was going to be gigantic, but, when they crunched the numbers, there were about a thousand abusive tweets. I'm not saying that's not poor, but I had thought, from the coverage, it was towards the millions. A thousand tweets out of the 353,000,000 active users on twitter - and many would be people sending more than one, some will be bots &c - is a tiny tiny minority. Just that they get a disproportionate presence when the media look to a story. It's a contrast to the approach whenever there's a pitch invader.

You can say the same thing about the Rashford mural. One person defaced it. How many worked to turn the defacement into a tribute? Probably dozens.

It's all something of the madness of crowds. A self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't think people are that into reports on twitter outrages but because there's attention to it then people get sucked into the vortex - including the rubberneckers.

One other thing. In a world of 24/7 news, there's a LOT of time to fill. So outrage and invective simply fill the otherwise empty time.
12:31, Tue 14 Sep
You're right about the replies saying "announce x."

Another one that gets on my tits is "ratio" which I thought I understood (something to do with no. of replies vs no. of likes or something like that) but then you see people replying "ratio" to tweets that don't have any likes or replies at all and then I get confused and angry and I feel old even though I'm only 40.

*insert picture of Abe Simpson shaking fist at cloud*

(Not knowing how to actually add photos to posts doesn't help with any of the above either)
12:43, Tue 14 Sep
TinaTractor
Would like to think if we were top, we’d just enjoy it

Assume you weren't following us when McLeish was manager.
13:17, Tue 14 Sep
A ratio on Twitter I believe originally started off meaning a tweet has minimal likes but a high number of replies, suggesting it was a controversial take on something that people felt the need to call out rather than give tacit agreement to with a like.

Then the term widened to include instances where a tweet with a small number of likes had a reply which gathered much higher likes, suggesting the original opinion was a bad take and many people agree with the person correcting them.

This has quickly morphed into bellends replying ratio or "catch this ratio" to any tweet they disagree with or supporting any rival player or club, in the hope that enough equally sad strangers will like their tweet to complete their ratio, and thus give some small sense of worth to their banal existence.

I've found Twitter becomes a bit more bearable when you mute things like Penaldo/Pessi/Penandes, ratio/ratioed, "don't know ball", [insert footballer here] is clear. Oh and Love Island.
13:19, Tue 14 Sep
Yep.

Tried to insert the Skinner thing but I know nothing.

Yeah the Ratio thing annoys me too as well as HMPissTheLeague
13:21, Tue 14 Sep
A ratio on Twitter I believe originally started off meaning a tweet has minimal likes but a high number of replies, suggesting it was a controversial take on something that people felt the need to call out rather than give tacit agreement to with a like.

Then the term widened to include instances where a tweet with a small number of tweets had a reply which gathered much higher replies, suggesting the original opinion was a bad take and many people agree with the person correcting them.

This has quickly morphed into bellends replying ratio or "catch this ratio" to any tweet they disagree with or supporting any rival player or club, in the hope that enough equally sad strangers will like their tweet to complete their ratio, and thus give some small sense of worth to their banal existence.

I've found Twitter becomes a bit more bearable when you mute things like Penaldo/Pessi/Penandes, ratio/ratioed, "don't know ball", [insert footballer here] is clear. Oh and Love Island.

Blimey mate - you've made me so glad I ain't on twitter or instagram. I'm only on facebook for family and a couple of MTB or football groups - I've blocked every fecker else 😁