08:08, Wed 15 Sep
Promotion should not be feared... what happens after should.

The players will all have significant promotion bonuses and wage increases as part of their contracts and that immediately eats into the pay day. Any new signings will be on bigger premiership contracts too. If we come straight back down that all needs to be managed. Yes we have 3 years of parachute payments and whatever profits from the prem is left over which will help but that can quickly be sucked up by bigger contracts and another gamble to bounce back.

And we've got a massive debt and don't own our ground.

That said, IF we can get up and stay up in a more sustainable fashion (big IF) then we could grow and establish ourselves.

I didn't think we were ready to go up in 2002 (in truth most teams are never ready to go up) but we did and we stayed there.
08:15, Wed 15 Sep
Slightly Turbid
Promotion should not be feared... what happens after should.

The players will all have significant promotion bonuses and wage increases as part of their contracts and that immediately eats into the pay day. Any new signings will be on bigger premiership contracts too. If we come straight back down that all needs to be managed.

Our revenue would increase by circa £90-100 Million, just in year one, that's worst case scenario.

There is not a single negative, financially speaking, in getting promoted, it is winning the lottery.

Yes we would spend on new players, which means we'd have more assets, assets that can be sold, perhaps even for a profit. Promotion bonuses would be a drop in the ocean. Players would have relegation wage clauses.

None of it is anything to fear, staying as we are is something to fear, the club ultimately needs promotion, our current position is unsustainable.
08:19, Wed 15 Sep
The promotion thing money wise is fine, if we take the business view i.e. go up and take the money and accept we will have our arsed kicked each week. That money is then reinvested in the team. This just won't happen though, the money will either be absolutely wasted as they decide they can chase Europe or we will be sold.
BCFC - Letting me down for 49 years
08:22, Wed 15 Sep
Absolutely wasted as they decide they can chase Europe

Maybe, probably unlikely, if we did and we stayed up it ultimately wouldn't matter

We will be sold

Sounds perfect

Honestly if we're worried or scared about being promoted and the club being given an absolute minimum of £170 Million (that's nearly 10 years of revenue in our current position) than there's no point bothering
08:37, Wed 15 Sep
Absolutely wasted as they decide they can chase Europe

Maybe, probably unlikely, if we did and we stayed up it ultimately wouldn't matter

We will be sold

Sounds perfect

Honestly if we're worried or scared about being promoted and the club being given an absolute minimum of £170 Million (that's nearly 10 years of revenue in our current position) than there's no point bothering

I'm with you on this one. Not one single negative about promotion is about bang on. What do people think will happen if we stay in this division for good? Our debt will reduce? our ground will magically become ours again?
08:44, Wed 15 Sep
Le Mod

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this thread
Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can’t face reality
08:50, Wed 15 Sep
I can't believe i've just read a negative post about us getting promoted.

Jaysus feckin' Christ alive.
09:06, Wed 15 Sep
Promotion would be a good thing. Of course it would. I actually said that.

Point I was trying to make is its not an instant solution to all our ills. Given the track record of our ownership there are risks involved if/when they use the money badly and we could be in a worse position when we come down. Its happened to lots of other teams.

But yes, going up would be much much better than continuing to scrape by in the championship... we're not going to get out of debt / become sustainable that way (or its going to take a much much longer time).
13:10, Wed 15 Sep
Of course promotion would be a good thing. But it’s also true that any subsequent relegation would have to be managed well. As I recall, and correct me if I am wrong, last time, for example, not all players did have relegation clauses in their contracts which caused us some problems. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that our current board may not make mistakes in the circumstances.
13:14, Wed 15 Sep
I’d rather worry about a few big contracts with parachute payments rather than the struggles we’ve had recently in this league.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
16:30, Wed 15 Sep
Bluestaines
Of course promotion would be a good thing. But it’s also true that any subsequent relegation would have to be managed well. As I recall, and correct me if I am wrong, last time, for example, not all players did have relegation clauses in their contracts which caused us some problems. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that our current board may not make mistakes in the circumstances.

I think considering Craig Gardner was one of those players, he would be pretty well versed in it all.
16:38, Wed 15 Sep
Yeah worst case scenario get relegated it stil gives you 3 shots of getting back up if there Is no ridiculous fire sale. The likes of Huddersfield and Reading, Stoke all stil have a better squad in my eyes and are in a better position then us.
16:47, Wed 15 Sep
Yeah worst case scenario get relegated it stil gives you 3 shots of getting back up if there Is no ridiculous fire sale. The likes of Huddersfield and Reading, Stoke all stil have a better squad in my eyes and are in a better position then us.

👍 I still haven't read one genuine negative to being promoted on this thread yet.
16:52, Wed 15 Sep
You can't leave to go the pub at half time 😛
16:56, Wed 15 Sep
GPWM 👍😄