06:14, Thu 16 Sep
Super Hans
I’d rather worry about a few big contracts with parachute payments rather than the struggles we’ve had recently in this league.

Er... last time we came down we had a few big contracts and parachute payments. How did that work out?
08:53, Thu 16 Sep
Only one of them was remotely an issue, Zigic, because we forgot to put a relegation clause in.

Nothing else was a problem at all.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
10:01, Thu 16 Sep
Nikola Zigic
Only one of them was remotely an issue, Zigic, because we forgot to put a relegation clause in.

Nothing else was a problem at all.

Is that why all the other members of the first team stayed? Or was Zigic the only one we couldn't shift?
10:07, Thu 16 Sep
Last game of 2010-11:
Ben Foster
Stephen Carr
Curtis Davies
Roger Johnson
Craig Gardner
Seb Larsson
Liam Ridgewell
Jean Beausejour
Keith Fahey
Barry Ferguson
Cameron Jerome

First Game of 2011-12:
Boaz Myhill
Stephen Carr
Steven Caldwell
Curtis Davies
Liam Ridgewell
Jean Beausejour
Chris Burke
Keith Fahey
Morgaro Gomis
Jordon Mutch
Adam Rooney
10:27, Thu 16 Sep
Slightly Turbid
Last game of 2010-11:
Ben Foster
Stephen Carr
Curtis Davies
Roger Johnson
Craig Gardner
Seb Larsson
Liam Ridgewell
Jean Beausejour
Keith Fahey
Barry Ferguson
Cameron Jerome

First Game of 2011-12:
Boaz Myhill
Stephen Carr
Steven Caldwell
Curtis Davies
Liam Ridgewell
Jean Beausejour
Chris Burke
Keith Fahey
Morgaro Gomis
Jordon Mutch
Adam Rooney

We sold the whole team because the owner got arrested and we suddenly had 3 months to become self sufficient, i.e get enough money into the club to cover our costs for the year. Not because they were all on mega contracts. Had he not got arrested we may well have kept most of the squad and pissed promotion.
10:38, Thu 16 Sep
The rest were sold because of the financial meltdown and wanted out, they wanted out so much they played badly on purpose (Ridgewell and Jerome).

Barry Ferguson was sold to Blackpool we were that desperate for money.

Zigic's contract stopped anyone wanting him so he saw it out. He almost went to Mallorca.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
11:45, Thu 16 Sep
Nikola Zigic
The rest were sold because of the financial meltdown and wanted out, they wanted out so much they played badly on purpose (Ridgewell and Jerome).

Barry Ferguson was sold to Blackpool we were that desperate for money.

Zigic's contract stopped anyone wanting him so he saw it out. He almost went to Mallorca.

Not sure he was good enough to do that!
11:53, Thu 16 Sep
We sold the whole team because the owner got arrested and we suddenly had 3 months to become self sufficient, i.e get enough money into the club to cover our costs for the year. Not because they were all on mega contracts. Had he not got arrested we may well have kept most of the squad and pissed promotion.[/quote]

What about the previous years in the premiership and the parachute payments? The owner gets arrested and suddenly there's no pot to piss in?
11:55, Thu 16 Sep
I don't understand your question
11:56, Thu 16 Sep
Slightly Turbid
We sold the whole team because the owner got arrested and we suddenly had 3 months to become self sufficient, i.e get enough money into the club to cover our costs for the year. Not because they were all on mega contracts. Had he not got arrested we may well have kept most of the squad and pissed promotion.

What about the previous years in the premiership and the parachute payments? The owner gets arrested and suddenly there's no pot to piss in?[/quote]

He had his assets frozen??
11:57, Thu 16 Sep
I like it!
Who knows.
What I do know, is that I’ve not felt this optimistic for a very long time.
…and feeling good, is good enough.
12:00, Thu 16 Sep
Slightly Turbid

What about the previous years in the premiership and the parachute payments? The owner gets arrested and suddenly there's no pot to piss in?[/quote]

Did we ever make a profit in the Premier League? Just asking like, cos from what I see most teams spend what they get.

The mob across the road just got £100m for Grealish and have access to Premier money and they’ve still signed an agreement in the last week or so with Barclays promising broadcast income as collateral
12:02, Thu 16 Sep
Pre-relegation

That would be a new low for Blues relegated before actually being relegated
12:13, Thu 16 Sep
El Mayor
Slightly Turbid

What about the previous years in the premiership and the parachute payments? The owner gets arrested and suddenly there's no pot to piss in?

Did we ever make a profit in the Premier League? Just asking like, cos from what I see most teams spend what they get.

The mob across the road just got £100m for Grealish and have access to Premier money and they’ve still signed an agreement in the last week or so with Barclays promising broadcast income as collateral[/quote]

Which is basically the point I've been driving at. Promotion would be great but it is going to require excellent husbandry of the club for it to solve our financial and ground ownership issues. Not sure our owner's track record is cause for optimism on that front.
12:14, Thu 16 Sep
One season in the Prem would provide sufficient income to the club to sort a lot of crap out.

Would it help us be rid of the shadowy owners? Who knows.

There are no negatives though.