No pace

09:36, Sat 16 Oct
Having suffered home and away for 62 years now,the most striking thing about us (for quite a while now) is that apart from Bella and Chong we have absolutely no pace in the side, and that means we are easy to set up against because we can't move the ball quickly and teams now just squeeze right up on us.
Of course it's something that can only be resolved player by player, over a period of time, but I really think we need to think about changing this, as in the modern game you simply must have it.
In the meantime it's time to give Troy and Chucks a run in the side, as imo Juke and Hogan are sadly no longer a threat.
KRO.
09:39, Sat 16 Oct
johnnyspex
He clearly doesn’t excel though does he?

What can’t speak can’t lie.

Scoobs, deeney & chuks stats at blues can’t really be taken into account as they havent played enough games but hogans average is 3.3 against Jukes 4.6.

So how come nobody is saying we should br playing to Hogans strengths?

Juke clearly doesn’t excel in the air? What?!?!
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
09:48, Sat 16 Oct
johnnyspex
Right, so i’ve got my tin hat on as i’m expecting flack but we simply have to move on. He’s been a good servant & i will always be grateful but we need to move away from lumping it up for knock downs.

People can go on about our bad luck all they like but Juke has been a constant in this side and he gives his all & he pops up with goals from time to time but look how many he scores against minutes played.? we need another footballer not a wrestler up top & it’s a mistake making him captain as it means he’s always on the pitch 😩

A leaders (captain) job is to inspire and enthuse the team to achieve the task. The best position, imho, is to place the captain in the engine room. Look at Leicester!

Maybe the burden of captaincy is too much for Juke (lack of goals) in much the same way that Southgate insists on Kane being captain.
09:50, Sat 16 Oct
The vast majority of his goals are headed which come along on average about every 5 games.

Which bit of that would you say is excelling?
09:55, Sat 16 Oct
Yet I wonder how many of those games where we’ve consistently crossed the ball to him we’ve won? Or other players have scored benefiting from the defence covering Juke/Juke setting them up?

You’re including the games under Zola, Karanka, Cotterill etc in that average I assume? All managers who didn’t cross the ball in to him. Monk, Rowett and (originally) Bowyer did to great results.
09:56, Sat 16 Oct
Please stop being constructive and factual
09:59, Sat 16 Oct
johnnyspex
The vast majority of his goals are headed which come along on average about every 5 games.

Which bit of that would you say is excelling?

Pretty sure he also had one of the best chances in the first half last night. Which came from a cross (which people seem to think we don’t do anymore) and he turned his back on it and went miles over the bar.
I’m finding his ability and presence in the air are falling by the game, winning less flick ons, winning less balls coming from crosses/set pieces/ long throws
10:04, Sat 16 Oct
Super Hans
Yet I wonder how many of those games where we’ve consistently crossed the ball to him we’ve won? Or other players have scored benefiting from the defence covering Juke/Juke setting them up?

You’re including the games under Zola, Karanka, Cotterill etc in that average I assume? All managers who didn’t cross the ball in to him. Monk, Rowett and (originally) Bowyer did to great results.

I’m including every game he’s played at every club.
I suppose every club he’s played at didn’t play to his strengths either?

His stats at blues are the best of his career which would suggest he has had service wouldn’t it?

Yet he’s still a one in five striker
10:05, Sat 16 Oct
Truth is with whoever playing up front we feed them with meagre rations. We don't cross the ball from advanced positions very often. We don't make many passes to feet in the box. The majority of the time the ball goes in the box is from long throws that the defenders can attack far easier than our attackers and the odd corner or long free kick.
Yes we could have better forwards but they'll still score less than they would playing for better footballing and more attacking teams. Put simply we dont play to any strikers strengths. Keep doing the same and don't expect different results in the long term
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
10:12, Sat 16 Oct
johnnyspex
Super Hans

I’m including every game he’s played at every club.
I suppose every club he’s played at didn’t play to his strengths either?

His stats at blues are the best of his career which would suggest he has had service wouldn’t it?

Yet he’s still a one in five striker

So you think AK, Zola, Cotterill all played to his strengths? 🤦‍♂️
10:19, Sat 16 Oct
johnnyspex
LBN
Juke is fine, cross the ball regularly and he will score.
A manager starting the game with no wingers pretty much takes him out the game, ironic really as Bowyer pretty much ripped in to Karanka for not utilising Juke.

This is a myth. He needs at least 5 good crosses on his head to get a chance on target. We can’t get it on his head from a dead ball or a corner let alone open play. Forget it it’s archaic football we need to move on.

I agree with this.
10:23, Sat 16 Oct
Bluesince62
We've got one of the best headers of the ball in the league - and how many times did we get a cross into the back post last night? or any cross anywhere near the big man? it's feckin maddening.

He's missed loads of decent headed chances this season. It never seems to get mentioned though.
10:27, Sat 16 Oct
All of the strikers have missed multiple great chances at points this season, I don’t think anyone would dispute that.

The argument is if you’re going to play Juke you have to get crosses in to the box, whether he scores from them or not purely because that’s his best style of play.
10:30, Sat 16 Oct
I think the argument is don't play Juke. He was pretty explicit about that.
10:33, Sat 16 Oct
Super Hans
All of the strikers have missed multiple great chances at points this season, I don’t think anyone would dispute that.

The argument is if you’re going to play Juke you have to get crosses in to the box, whether he scores from them or not purely because that’s his best style of play.

Exactly this…… I’m not advocating Juke playing….. but if you are it’s pointless playing too much stuff through the middle … penalties aside, the vast majority of his goals for will have come from wide play